Replacing timing belt, oil pump, oil pan - anything I should get done right now?

TampaPassat

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
I went to change my oil and noticed a large pool of oil under 05 passat. I took it to a local german car mechanic in safety harbor, fl (german motors) and they put it up on the lift, took off the skid plate, turned on the car, and oil shot everywhere. There's a big crack in the pan, pretty close to the top of the pan. It looked like it just bubbled out and cracked.

He pulled the pan off today and found pieces of oil pump in the pan. So thats what broke off and punched a hole in my pan.

To fix the pump (tensioner chain?) they have to get into the engine a bit anyway which means I might as well change the timing belt, which means I might as well change the water pump as well.

Allow me to rationalize - I'm at 70K miles so it's almost time for a timing belt change anyway. I know thats not the book # but I bought it used so who knows what it went through for those first 36K miles.

So my question is, while they have my car pulled apart on the front end - is there anything else I should think about having them do?

The mechanic is keeping all the parts so I can take some nice pictures to post for everyone.

HopefulFred

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2006, Indigo Blue
It sounds like you didn't run the car with low oil pressure. Is that true?

If it's not true, and you did run the engine with the oil light on, I'd be worried about potential damage from being oil-starved.

In either case, I'd consider a very short oil change after the repair to make as sure as possible that you get any metal out of the engine. Maybe that's not necessary, but I would sleep better.

Of course, it has to be said, make sure that your mechanic is replacing all the single use bolts and anything with a bearing in it. In another 100K miles, you'll be very lucky if none of the TB related bearings are bad. Also, make sure he's got all the proper locking tools for the cam, crank, and tensioner.

Fred

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
If the oil pump disintegrated as reported and the problem was noticed only when you saw a large oil puddle, I'd be concerned - very concerned. My theory is that the car was driven for some unknown time & mileage without a working oil pump. One of the gurus here can tell me if I'm all wet but I'd suspect internal engine damage due to a lack of lubrication. BTW - thanks VW for not provided an oil pressure gauge!

TampaPassat

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Thanks for the great replies (as I expected).

The mechanics exact words were "a piece of the oil pump broke off." I think I heard 'tensioner' thrown in at some point. I'll get details tomorrow, and pics.

The actual moment I discovered the leak was when I was getting ready to change the oil. I had parked on small incline and the pooled oil drained out the back of the skid plate.

I did not drive anywhere with the oil light on. I knew something was up so I was watching the dash for any warnings. No oil pressure gauge huh? I guess we can call that a "false positive"? Would low pressure at least trigger the engine light?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
It wouldn't be the pump itself from the sounds of it, but the chain, its tensioner, and the sprockets on the crank and balance shaft module. Of course it is possible that the chain whipped around broke the pump too.

See the other threads in the B5 Passat forum about balance shaft module.

If you want the car fixed quickly without waiting on gear driven balance shaft module, I do have a new chain driven one, with chain, tensioner, and sprocket for balance shaft available. It all depends on the condition of the sprocket on the crankshaft as to whether this is an option.

Low oil pressure would trigger the oil light in the center of the instrument cluster, and loud alarm noise, and a STOP ENGINE message. If anyone ignore$ all that, they get what they de$erve.

duncgee

HopefulFred said:
In either case, I'd consider a very short oil change after the repair to make as sure as possible that you get any metal out of the engine.
Fred
For the same reason a magnetic drain plug should be used. Come to think of it it should be used in any engine.:)

TampaPassat

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
MOGolf said:
Low oil pressure would trigger the oil light in the center of the instrument cluster, and loud alarm noise, and a STOP ENGINE message. If anyone ignore$ all that, they get what they de$erve.
If I heard all that you'd probably have to clean the seat as well.

I'll check in with more information tomorrow. Fortunately the one luxury I do have is time. I'd rather have my car, especially for our Christmas trip to Atlanta (I was envisioning 750 on a tank...) but I work from home and in reality we don't even need two cars.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, another one :(

And to think anybody out there that actually KNOWS about this problem would debate on whether or not to actually install the new gear drive system :rolleyes:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Is this a Passat affliction only, or do the Golf/Jettas share the same engineering catastrophy?

--Nate

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
PDJetta said:
Is this a Passat affliction only, or do the Golf/Jettas share the same engineering catastrophy?

--Nate
BHW engine only. But, the ALH/BEW/BRM also have a chain, and they break, but typically at 300k+ miles. They are also MUCH easier to replace.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
__. Hey, Tamp. To back up and look at everything from the outside -- everyone needs a "guru" to do timing belt work but -- considering the problems on your car -- you need a "guru" like Custer needed a couple of cannon!!!! Get that car to someone who really knows what he's doing!!!!

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
I'd like to see picture of the broken pieces/damage. It would help to document the case that the original parts are prone to failures and the results of those failures.

TampaPassat

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Pictures will be coming when I get back in town. I want to make sure everyone has as much information on this as possible.

I don't know if this guy is a guru or not. He knows about the balance shaft issues and made the same recommendations about changes that I've seen here before. The shop is German Motor and Auto Care in Safety Harbor, Fl.