engine mount adjustment

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
I was checking the passenger side engine mount adjustment.
I measure 17mm for the 'a' dimension, see attached documentation. It calls for 10mm.
What do you guys have ? Does it even matter ?

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I have not measured mine but I'm sure it's more than the specified 10 mm. Over on GolfMk7 forum there is a thread about dog bone inserts. I had an insert installed on my Golf TDI. I bought the powerflex insert specifically for diesels, supposed to be a bit softer than what they sell for the gassers. Vibrations were entirely unacceptable, even tried to let it break in for 700+ miles, no change.

Another member with a TDI sports wagon is running the insert and said there was basically no change in NVH. He suggested that my engine and transmission might be out of alignment (based on the mount position). I compared pictures of mine to pictures of his and those of some of the gassers in a couple other threads that he linked. My engine mount is farther outboard (towards the passenger side) then any of them. I would estimate about 1cm with sounds exactly like what you have.

It doesn't seem to be causing any problems. I had no vibration issues prior to installing the inside they went away as soon as I removed it. Still, if I can get the car up on a lift or if I buy another set of jack stands/pair of ramps I might adjust the mounts to within the manual specs and then reinstall the insert. Car felt awesome with it installed but vibration was unsuitable for a daily driver.

Your pic isn't showing up for me but here are pictures of mine. That hole in the frame is not visible on the pictures that everyone else posted...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
I have not measured mine but I'm sure it's more than the specified 10 mm. Over on GolfMk7 forum there is a thread about dog bone inserts. I had an insert installed on my Golf TDI. I bought the powerflex insert specifically for diesels, supposed to be a bit softer than what they sell for the gassers. Vibrations were entirely unacceptable, even tried to let it break in for 700+ miles, no change.

Another member with a TDI sports wagon is running the insert and said there was basically no change in NVH. He suggested that my engine and transmission might be out of alignment (based on the mount position). I compared pictures of mine to pictures of his and those of some of the gassers in a couple other threads that he linked. My engine mount is farther outboard (towards the passenger side) then any of them. I would estimate about 1cm with sounds exactly like what you have.

It doesn't seem to be causing any problems. I had no vibration issues prior to installing the inside they went away as soon as I removed it. Still, if I can get the car up on a lift or if I buy another set of jack stands/pair of ramps I might adjust the mounts to within the manual specs and then reinstall the insert. Car felt awesome with it installed but vibration was unsuitable for a daily driver.

Your pic isn't showing up for me but here are pictures of mine. That hole in the frame is not visible on the pictures that everyone else posted...

see previous post with pics (working now right?). The spacing I'm talking about is the space between the mount and the bracket (on engine). We can't see on your pics because of the hose.

Also, I'm not sure why you have a hole there, but look, it's there in the manual!

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
I can see your picture now. And you are correct about my pictures, just don't have any better ones but I did go check that dimension after work and it's over 10mm. I could fit my thumb in there. Looking at the manual, it seems that dimension "a" could be achieved even with my frame mount as is, but it would put the engine really close to the frame. Interestingly, the manual doesn't give any measured dimensions for transmission mount but only shows that part of it should be parallel.

I am looking for pictures of the stock mounts to verify but my understanding was that the part that mounts to the frame did not have oval shaped holes. The manual doesn't mention anything about adjusting it's placement. That hole being visible on my car and not yours almost makes me think the castings of the lower part of our mounts are different. For what it's worth, your mount looks exactly like the ones other people posted. Mine is the only different looking one.

Link to that thread: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/dog-bone-on-a-diesel.367536/

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The rubber inserts for the engine mounts are know to be on the weak side, id have to imagine even at stock power, they may be in need of replacement by 80-100K.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks for the insight. Hopefully other members can chime in.
my guess is that to get 10mm there, the transmission side mount has to be adjusted. so probably like that from factory.
The rubber inserts for the engine mounts are know to be on the weak side, id have to imagine even at stock power, they may be in need of replacement by 80-100K.
As far as the rubber being weak, it's possible, how do we test that ?

TDI
'15 A3 - 2.0 TDI, '14 Q7 - 3.0 TDI
I replaced my engine mount before 35k, the stock one had a ton of slop in it, you can literally grab the frame side of it and move then engine side of it around by hand, it was quite loose.

I replaced my transmission mount by 45k, and it was even worse, shake it side to side and the other end of it just flopped around.

I have been Malone Stage 2 since 19k, this probably contributes at least a bit to the wear on the mounts, but damn.

I guess they really sacrifice performance/longevity for comfort. It was amazing how the mounts changed the whole togetherness feeling of the vehicle, engine mount a bit but transmission mount a whole lot.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
I replaced my engine mount before 35k, the stock one had a ton of slop in it, you can literally grab the frame side of it and move then engine side of it around by hand, it was quite loose.

I replaced my transmission mount by 45k, and it was even worse, shake it side to side and the other end of it just flopped around.

I have been Malone Stage 2 since 19k, this probably contributes at least a bit to the wear on the mounts, but damn.

I guess they really sacrifice performance/longevity for comfort. It was amazing how the mounts changed the whole togetherness feeling of the vehicle, engine mount a bit but transmission mount a whole lot.
what about the dogbone ?

TDI
'15 A3 - 2.0 TDI, '14 Q7 - 3.0 TDI
Stock dogbone bushing is quite soft. I think the insert was the first mod I did on the car. It introduces a lot of vibration to the whole chassis, but it does make shifts more positive and direct. I later did the 2nd piece of the insert and eventually a billet dogbone itself. Even with both inserts the stock dogbone seems to flex. I felt like the vibration may have went down slightly when replacing the stock dogbone with the billet/spherical one. Still quite harsh at idle and when the DSG first starts to engage. Not bad once moving.

Still had some wheelhop in some situations with both upper and lower insert, the biller/spherical dogbone seems to have eliminated most (if not all) of that.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
The insert for me had the car vibrating like crazy, got worse with the A/C running. Windows down it was like it was vibrating at a resonant frequency that you could feel in your ears. I have a short commute so me and my wife switched cars for a while to put miles on it to try to break it in, didn't help.

I haven't tried moving the engine around to see what shape my mounts are in but I'm a little under 35k on the car. Kerma tuned for about 20k of that.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
thanks for the insight. Hopefully other members can chime in.
my guess is that to get 10mm there, the transmission side mount has to be adjusted. so probably like that from factory.
As far as the rubber being weak, it's possible, how do we test that ?
think mysticwizard has a good test to see if the mounts a junk.

Another east test is break torquing and looking for excessive movement.

In the TSI work looks like Black Forest Industries has prob the best aftermarket mount set up but I'd wager even their stg 1 would be too much for a TDI.

jverheul

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL
In the TSI work looks like Black Forest Industries has prob the best aftermarket mount set up but I'd wager even their stg 1 would be too much for a TDI.
Theirs looked to be the softest, so I tried one. Initially the vibration was absolutely horrendous. Just absurd. Over a few hundred miles its gotten a lot better. Only an issue at idle now. Just off idle it goes away. A friend with a Lexus says its actually tolerable, and that surprised me, coming from her. Not sure I will leave it in. I liked the isolation, and I am not sure how much benefit there is WRT movement.

So what is the good tranny mount to use that will not affect NVH too much?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What are you trying to do? replace OEM or upgrade? there's always going to be trad offs when you upgrade.

IMO unless you are putting down big power and love to launch your car (with a stick) I don't think there's anything wrong with keep tossing in OEM units or replacing rubber bits.

I believe 034 and Superpro makes stiffer rubber inserts to OEM casting.

Anything else will just cause more vibration and be a big trade off for comfort.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Thinking about picking up CTS or 034 mounts. CTS are under $200 shipped. I've read both good and not so good reviews about their quality. Someone over on GolfMk7 got a set with poor quality control or they were shipped a used/returned set when they bought new.

In any case, seems they are very similar to 034 mounts, which are more expensive but only by about $50 when on sale. 034 says a mix of 50 and 60 durometer rubber, CTS says their mounts are 60. Stock is 40 according to 034. But I guess both CTS and 034 don't have the voids of the stock mounts.

Assuming similar quality I guess it's a question of 50 vs 60 durometer. Any opinions on which way to go, personal experience?

Super pro stopped making mqb motor/trans mounts; they almost $900 for the set. They even put up an article on their website when they stopped production. The mounts were already more expensive than everything else out there and apparently the cost of the next production run meant the price was going to increase, effectively pricing them out of that market. They sold the last of them at discounted rates directly through their eBay store, couple years ago. The reviews from the people that have them were/are excellent though.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Gotcha, thanks for the opinion. I don't think I can go for anything poly. Although I like the look of the Torque Solutions mounts and the BFI mounts. I'm really just looking to make the car feel more "connected" and go-cart like, something like my Mk4.

Granted the Mk4 is smaller and lighter, when I had the Powerflex dogone insert installed on my Mk7 the car gave me that feeling. It was awesome. But the vibrations were too much, especially with the A/C on. Others have run the insert without issue and looking at my stock mounts it appears they could be improperly aligned. Lots of sales on motor mounts right now though which has me considering picking up a set.