Mk4 Bew in place of a Mk5 Brm

Schoust

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta Alh 5spd
Ok Guys here's one for you. I have a chance to grab a mk5 06 Jetta Brm that has a bad engine. I would like to replace the BRM with a 05 Bew that came from my sons totaled Jetta Wagon. What am I up against? Is it a worthwhile transplant? What is the differance between the Bew and the Brm as far as Emissions? The 05 is a high miler that popped the timing belt but was well taken care of. The doner engine is a bit over 200k babied and pampered miles. I was planning to do the belt and cam shortly on the Bew.
Is it worth it and how much of a pita is it?
Thanks

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
prob better off replacing the head and checking the turbo over while you have it off... there are quite a few subtle but important differences that may hang you up ... The first one that comes to mind is the difference between the crankshaft position sensors, the brm sensor is built into the rear main seal, BEW sensor is bolted into the block, this may be overcome with the help of a tuner or it may plug right in and run... The next issue is the difference in the oil filter housings... The BRM housing is tucked in much closer to the block, the BEW housing sticks out like an ALH and may interfere with components in the MK5 engine bay, they are not interchangeable.... you will, of course, have to change the accessory bracket , valve cover, and transfer the BRM turbo and intake to the BEW...The oil pans are also different and one cannot be interchanged with the other… Also the engine lean angle is different, the BEW is at 15° while the BRM stands up a little bit straighter... this probably will not cause an issue with oil delivery but you may want to double check

Last edited: