Rattle/clicking/tapping noise when revved????

DMCC

TDI
110 TDI MK4
On my 1.9 Tdi 105bhp Golf there is a quite loud tapping noise when revved over idle (no sound on idle). The car has covered 100k miles
I have removed the rocker cover too get a better look and all off the tappets look to be set at the same height....however one looks very flush to the base - Could this be the cause of the noise, i.e sticking???
Also 3 injectors look the same, apart from the second one where the springs on it look more compressed compared to the others, is this normal?

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
The spring will compress depending on the cam location. Rotate the crank some and see if it's still compressed.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
As for the flush to the base lifter, how does it look to the others when rotating the crank?

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
If this is a BRM engine I would check the cam lobes to see if there is wear. This is a big problem on the USA 2005.5/2006 BRM engines.

Last edited:

06jettatdi89

TDI
2006 Jetta tdi
2006 Jetta tdi 5spd

noise around the transmission and engine but only when 1500rpms or higher and it felt like the transmission or clutch slipped just one time before I got it off the road. It is leaking oil but only when I drive it(didn't drive it very far). It smells like burnt transmission fluid(my thinking is is getting on the clutch which is burning it maybe) but it moves in every gear and clutch still seems to work. I'm thinking that part of the clutch broke which was what was making the ticking noise and that the part that broke took out a transmission seal but I'm not 100% sure. Just wanting to see what other people think if that's a possibility or not

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Two of my BRMs had noise due to the cam - tappet wear. Does the sound increase with RPM? Does the sound go away when you push in the clutch?