Giving up on the TDi

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M gone back to VWoA, 1996 Passat Wagon (RIP)
After waffling for a number of months about the buyout decision, I've reluctantly decided to sell my 2011 JSW back to VW. I love it so wanted to keep it. But, at 110K miles, I am now looking at needing to replace my DPF due to cracking a second time... first was at 80K. EGR has been blocked for a couple of months and now I get a nice blast of black smoke from the tailpipes when accelerating hard. And,yes, I am anal about not interrupting regens and always allow the DPF to cool prior to shutting the engine down (scangauge monitored). Seems the emissions stuff has ruined diesels for automotive use here in the US. Back to gasoline I guess. I will miss this car!

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
I am waiting to see if there is a fix for the gen 1 cars to decide on a buyback. I believe my DPF is cracked because of the black soot in tailpipe but have not had any codes for it yet. I have been having trouble with the throttle valve P0638 but don't think EGR clogging from the DPF crack would be the cause. Gasses from the EGR comes in the intake after the throttle valve.

Its a tough decision when you like the car. My local dealer just contacted me saying they are getting in several 2015 used vehicles for sale with low miles from the buybacks. He had my info because I had asked about the new leftover 2015's several months ago.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
It is indeed a very tough decision when you like the car.

I look at the 3 year/36,000 mile new car warranty factor, the relief from the shadowy DPF and HPFP concerns which the very fair buyback enables...............

Yes, I sure as hell will miss the torque, fuel efficiency and range................but I will have had close to five years to savor these treats.

ez

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
The new 2015 will be worthless after the warranty. The complications of the new motor will make your head spin. And you have a manual. You will regret big time getting rid of a car that you will NOT find again.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
The new 2015 will be worthless after the warranty. The complications of the new motor will make your head spin. And you have a manual. You will regret big time getting rid of a car that you will NOT find again.
IMHO Señor Daniel makes multiple points here.

(And I'm not saying this because I worked at a Camden/Bascom Arco in college)

ez

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
It is indeed a very tough decision when you like the car. ...
That's so perfectly stated. We are to turn our '10 JSW 6M tomorrow and my wife has been misty-eyed for several days. She said, " What hurts is that there's nothing wrong with the car." True, but a timing belt replacement will soon be upon us and eventually the DPF will need replacing. Plus, I wonder if our HPFP might someday quit, thus wiping out any remaining worth.

Yesterday she wrung it out on the Interstate for one last time, driving a considerable distance just for the fun of it and so enjoying the gearbox and that diesel torque.

We replaced her JSW last week with a 2017 Golf Wolfsburg 5M and it's been a fine choice so far. She came home tonight and announced that for the first time in seven years, she put gasoline in her car. <g>

Last edited:

samarai

TDI
2012 Golf TDI w/ tech pkg.
Turned my in, too

As much I really liked the my 2012 Golf TDI, I decided to take the money and run. Way too many issues, and these car were/are notorious to fail due to all of the complex mechanical issues. Turbo failures, HPFP grenading and other issues. Sure, there are things that I will miss about the car but in the long run I wanted to avoid high repair costs. There were several attempts on this forum to minimize the issue with the HPFP, but it was a real issue.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
I was dead set on keeping my 2014 Golf unmolested. I had already put a rawtek exhaust and cp3 pump on it and I love the car. However weddings are expensive and I'm looking to pay off some debt so we can start married life debt free. Taking the buyback will allow me to do that and the car goes back July 5th.

I'm sad to see it go but I'm planning on staying in the tdi family and going to try finding a nice Mkiv tdi that I can pay cash for. I have no ill will towards VW and would buy another new VW in a heartbeat and when it comes time to buy something else in the future I'll certainly be looking at the GTI or Golf R.

The club was a great resource to learn about my Mkvi and I'm excited to learn from the wealth of knowledge that's on here about the Mkiv platform.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What's more complicated about the EA288? Different, yes. More complex? I don't see it. And it corrects a number of issues that plague the CBEA/CJAA, including HPFP failure, intercooler icing, and DPF cracking. And for what it's worth, FE is significantly worse on the CJAA than the CRUA.

mr.shooty

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Gone. 2018 Golf R
I just passed 86K miles on my 2012 Golf. The car has performed absolutely flawlessly. Commuting into Philadelphia for the past 5 years from NJ, it doesn't even have a rattle. I can honestly say this has been the best car I've owned. I've opted for the buyback, but I'm going to wait until the 100K mile warranty expires. Now I'm no longer commuting it will take at least a year to reach warranty expiration.
FWIW All of the 2009-13's are getting crushed and dumped into a giant land fill in RI.

Last edited:

mr.shooty

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Gone. 2018 Golf R
As much I really liked the my 2012 Golf TDI, I decided to take the money and run. Way too many issues, and these car were/are notorious to fail due to all of the complex mechanical issues. Turbo failures, HPFP grenading and other issues. Sure, there are things that I will miss about the car but in the long run I wanted to avoid high repair costs. There were several attempts on this forum to minimize the issue with the HPFP, but it was a real issue.
Did any of those problems you list happen to your car? You should worry less and drive more.

andykurz

TDI
shopping
FWIW All of the 2009-13's are getting crushed and dumped into a giant land fill in RI.
Where did you hear or see that? That would be really surprising and seems like it would pose liability and public relations problems as well as cost more than simply scrapping them, which some company would surely pay them for.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
..perhaps - just perhaps - it was an attempt at (landfill?) humor....................

ez

Elchapo

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I'm sad to see it go but I'm planning on staying in the tdi family and going to try finding a nice Mkiv tdi that I can pay cash for. I have no ill will towards VW and would buy another new VW in a heartbeat and when it comes time to buy something else in the future I'll certainly be looking at the GTI or Golf R.

The club was a great resource to learn about my Mkvi and I'm excited to learn from the wealth of knowledge that's on here about the Mkiv platform.
Right with ya brother. I absolutely hate to say goodbye to my Jetta but economics say let it go. It has been nothing but a blast to drive (6sp) and zero problems for almost 4yrs.

Bought an MK4 Tdi 2 weeks ago to keep my on the diesel aisle.

Elchapo

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Where did you hear or see that? That would be really surprising and seems like it would pose liability and public relations problems as well as cost more than simply scrapping them, which some company would surely pay them for.
I heard almost the same thing. Every year except 14/15 are dying a horrible death...

andykurz

TDI
shopping
Well for sure they are going to die a horrible death, but that is either by way of being scrapped (likely) or, as Mr. Sooty claims, being put in a landfill which isn't going to happen. Or at least, it makes no sense from any angle.

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M gone back to VWoA, 1996 Passat Wagon (RIP)
Last Day...

So, today is the JSWs final day here. I will miss it despite my disappointment with the fragile emissions system (second DPF already badly cracked) and impending doom of the HPFP. But, it's been 110K miles of fun driving! Everything else about the car was just great... handling, performance, utility, and appearance. But, now, due to lifestyle changes, I have replaced it with a mid-size Ass-u-vee which will do what I need it to do now but will never be fun to drive ;-) I hope I don't cry when I drop it off at the dealer...

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn185/carlsonc/IMG_20170713_125957715_HDR_zpsixk2zmq3.jpg~original

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
The new 2015 will be worthless after the warranty. The complications of the new motor will make your head spin. .... snip.... .

Respectfully, what the hay are you saying?

11 years, (in my case that is July 15, 2026)

or 162,000 miles. (in my case the car has 5,122 miles)