2015 (Gen 3) TDI are GOOD TO GO!!!! (fix approved today!)

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=...n-3-ems-modf-appvl-issued-2017-01-06-exec.pdf

https://www.epa.gov/vw/statement-ep...rd-approve-remedy-reduce-excess-nox-emissions

On October 25, 2016, the Court entered a $14.7 billion partial settlement with Volkswagen to resolve alleged Clean Air Act violations from the sale of 2.0 liter diesel vehicles that were equipped with software designed to cheat on federal emissions tests. The settlement allows VW to propose and seek EPA and CARB approval for technical remedies to address the pollution violations. Today, EPA and CARB are approving a remedy proposed by Volkswagen that will reduce the excess NOx emissions from the Generation 3 diesel 2.0 liter vehicles. With today’s approval, VW can offer vehicle owners the choice to keep and fix their car, or to have it bought back. The test data and technical information VW submitted to EPA and CARB demonstrated that the emissions modification being approved today will not affect vehicle fuel economy, reliability, or durability. EPA and CARB confirmed those conclusions through independent testing and analysis at their own laboratories.

The Generation 3 vehicle models covered by the approved emissions remedy are the model year 2015 diesel Volkswagen Beetle, Beetle Convertible, Golf, Golf SportWagen, Jetta, and Passat, and the model year 2015 diesel Audi A3.

Today’s approval means that VW can now notify customers that the emissions modification is available and begin performing the modification at its dealerships. The approved modification requires both software and hardware replacement, and will take place in two phases. The first phase involves a software change that is available to customers now. The second phase involves further software changes as well as hardware changes that are not yet available. In the first phase, VW will remove the defeat device software and replace it with software that directs the emission controls to function effectively in all typical vehicle operation. The second phase will start about a year from now when VW will install more software updates as well as a new diesel particulate filter, diesel oxidation catalyst, and NOx catalyst, all needed to maintain vehicle reliability and emissions performance over time.

MrShip

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI DSG
Looks good to me! Bring it to Canada!

I guess I'll be tracking my DPF stats with VCDS before and after... Curious to see the difference in ash loading and AdBlue consumption.

Side note, is my understanding of DPF/CAT replacement correct?

• If > 40k/70k miles at phase 2, then we get a new DPF/CATs
  • If < 40k/70k miles at phase 2, then we get a new DPF/CAT sometime later (before 150k)

Last edited:

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
I'm curious to see the effects on fuel economy and performance; the 15s will end up being a test bed for older gen cars to get at least some idea of how they'll be affected.

willafb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI/2015 Golf SE
I just checked the Volkswagen portal and it's still not showing eligibility to make an appointment yet. I guess it's going to be a bit before we can make appointments

Larry@FixMyVW

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
There was no mention of monetary compensation in any of the press releases or VW docs. Are we still getting 2/3 after Phase 1 and the remaining 1/3 at Phase 2?

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
There was no mention of monetary compensation in any of the press releases or VW docs. Are we still getting 2/3 after Phase 1 and the remaining 1/3 at Phase 2?
Since that was already stated.... Don't think they wanted to be redundant.

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
This document seems to be the best source of info. An interesting series of quotes:

w.r.t. Phase 1 modification:
"No significant changes to key vehicle attributes are expected, including fuel
consumption, reliability, durability, vehicle performance, drivability, or
other driving characteristics."

w.r.t. Cooling fan update:
"This update is not related to the emissions issue, and is addressed in the spirit of continued vehicle performance improvement."

w.r.t. Auto Trans:
"Vehicles with automatic transmissions will exhibit improvement in throttle response, a smoother acceleration and improved driving experience. "

w.r.t. Phase 2 modification:
"The Phase 2 updates are expected to have no further impact on overall vehicle reliability, durability, fuel economy, engine sound, performance, or drivability."

The use of the word "expected" in relation to the impact on performance and fuel economy are a little worrying, but the seeming inclusion of other improvements is surprising...

The fact that the warranty includes the fuel system and the turbo in addition to the exhaust system is interesting and appealing. But to me the greatest unknown is still the value of the cars down the road on resale or trade.

Tough call.