01 Jetta TDI Intermittenly Losing 50% of its power

jeffallen29

TDI
2001 Jetta
Hey guys I have an 01 Jetta TDI 130k miles and Im having an intermitten Problem that happens every now and then. The car is 100% stock and occasionally the car just feels very sluggish like its lost 50% of its power or like the Turbo has stopped spooling.Car has the Factory Exhaust Cat and Muffler.I drove the car home 15 miles 2 days ago and it was doing this and when I came to a redlight I opened the window,revved the engine to hear the turbo spool and I did not hear it spooling at all.But 6 hours later the next morning I went out started it up the turbo was spooling just fine and the car ran perfect all day..?Whats up with this I am a new TDI owner but I am NOT new to cars at all.I read on one thread about the turbo getting clogged with carbon and using Easy Off cleaner to dislodge the carbon but I didn't read very far into that 10 page thread.Please post up your knowledge.Thanks alot.!

Jeff

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Please follow the "low power / limp mode" thread in my sig.

It has instructions on how to troubleshoot the source of this problem and then how to fix it.

Thanks.

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
To be honest, that's a test I've never had to do.

My understanding was that most people put vacuum on the rod to test how much vacuum is required to move it.