www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old July 19th, 2017, 06:54   #76
Windex
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ʎɯouoɔƎ lǝnℲ

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTD View Post
You did plug the balance module feed hole when you did the delete, right?
*Fingers Crossed* on this^

Proudly installing things where they're not supposed to go since 1996!
Windex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2017, 07:38   #77
nitec

TDI(s): 1.9TDi PD
Fuel Economy: What's fuel economy?

Yup - my dad plugged it and I verified...is it possible he messed it up and I didn't pay enough attention? sure...hopefully not but crazier things have happened in the past
nitec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2017, 16:31   #78
QuickTD
Veteran Member

It is an 8mm diameter hole. There are a couple other holes in close proximity. One is the drain hole for the filter housing, it is blocked in the filter housing when the filter cap is installed by the long plastic "stem" with the o-ring. The other is a threaded mounting hole for the BSM.

You can access the drilling for the BSM by removing the filter housing. It runs straight down from the filter boss to the oil pan flange. I suppose you could plug it from the top if you were tricky.

Pressure should be 15-20lbs at hot idle, about 45-50lbs at 2000rpm with an ALH pump. It will be higher if you used BRM stuff.
QuickTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 18:56   #79
nitec

sigh...

camshaft sensor was an easy fix - apparently the camshaft and coolant level sensor plugs are the same and are right next to each other problem solved

the oil pressure is a different story...checked everything and the only thing i can come up is the oil is draining back into the pan...we opened the filter housing, plugged the filter drain and the oil just leaks right out through the engine outlet in the housing...sadly I think we're taking the pan back off
Old July 22nd, 2017, 05:54   #80
QuickTD
Veteran Member

You could also plug the BSM feed hole from the top. You need to remove the filter housing for access.
Old July 24th, 2017, 06:38   #81
nitec

QuickTD - do you have a pic of which hole it is on the top?
I think we tracked this down to my dad misreading the info I sent him and plugging the wrong hole...

he plugged the one circled in red under the pump as opposed to the one under the windage tray...

now I'm wondering what the hole he plugged is used for and whether plugging the return from the top fixes my problem...I think we'll pop it open from the bottom anyways - I'd want to get rid of the plug he installed...I`ll see if we can sort it out this week - I'm itching to drive
Old July 24th, 2017, 06:52   #82
QuickTD
Veteran Member

The hole under the windage tray is the one you need to plug. It is 8mm diameter and runs straight up to the oil filter mount. The one under the oil pump is just a BSM mounting bolt hole as far as I can tell. I would have a pic if photobucket didn't suck. I'll see if I can find a pic later today.
Old July 24th, 2017, 08:01   #83
nitec

yup - I had all the right info but was away when he did it and made the mistake of not double checking everything...oh well - lesson learned

the hole circled in red wasn't threaded so he did have to tap it, which is why I`m worried i that's another return for something...although all the pics I've got of the BEW doesn't have that hole there so I guess it's just an extra boss for the BSM or something

trying to chase down pics now to see if I can pick the right hole from the top before I open it

here's a pic from JFettig

I am assuming the BSM is fed through a pressured oil supply so it's gotta be in the top middle there but there two holes are standard on the rest of the engines - small one for the head and big one for the block...

but if I look at this pic the drain hole lines up with the far left one on the bottom three drain lines which appears to be too big for an 8mm hole unless JFettig's pic is not a BHW

Last edited by nitec; July 24th, 2017 at 08:13.
Old July 24th, 2017, 10:38   #84
QuickTD
Veteran Member

Jfettig is using an ASV block I believe, no balance module on those. The BHW block is a bit different in the filter boss area. Zoom this image up and have a look.

The BSM oil feed is drilled up from the bottom into the center pressure passage in the filter boss. I would machine a steel top hat style plug with a slight taper, Loctite it and drive it into the passage from the top. My first BSM delete was done with a pressed in plug 5 years ago and it's still good.
Old July 24th, 2017, 12:05   #85
nitec

so it doesn't face forward but downward? so you can't tap a plug in but press it...k k thanks for the info...yeah made sense about JFettig's pic above
Old July 24th, 2017, 13:23   #86
QuickTD
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitec View Post
so it doesn't face forward but downward?
Correct. No access to drill or tap. You can knock a plug in by resting the end of a log pry bar on the plug then tapping the bar close to the block to drive the plug down.