what car should I buy?

drab

TDI
none yet
I'm looking at 2 different TDI's and could use some insight from those familiar with VW diesels.

One is a 2003 Jetta TDI with power everything, sunroof, leather interior, monsoon stereo, etc. It's a 5-speed manual and has 111,000 miles. They (dealership) are asking 11,900.

The other is a 2002 Golf TDI without all the frills and it's automatic but it's got a much lower mileage at 43,000. This one is from a private seller and they are asking the same amount ($11,900).

Any suggestions? The high mileage on the Jetta makes me nervous but it was a luxury to drive. I haven't driven the golf. Also, I have future plans of converting to SVO and I don't know if one car is more favorable for SVO conversion. Anyways, your opinions are much appreciated!

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
I'd buy the 03 just because it's a standard, but that's just me.
Plus, 111,000 miles is nothing if it's been taken care of.

The Golf at 43,000 could be in much worse shape if not taken care of.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
111,000 isn't really high mileage by TDI standards. What are your goals for the car? If you are looking to get max fuel mileage, then go for the manual transmission.

There is no advantage of one over the other for running SVO. Both are low on the totem pole for that. For SVO, it is better to look at an older Diesel with higher clearances in the fuel system. Folks here are running SVO in their newer TDIs, but you need to educate yourself on what they are doing and the mechanical disadvantages of that Vs. Biodiesel. I'm not the one to give you details. I'm a sheep that just listens to other people but you won't find my head stuck in a barbed wire fence.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
drab said:
I'm looking at 2 different TDI's and could use some insight from those familiar with VW diesels.
One is a 2003 Jetta TDI with power everything, sunroof, leather interior, monsoon stereo, etc. It's a 5-speed manual and has 111,000 miles. They (dealership) are asking 11,900.
The number of miles isn't that important -- just overall condition. The dealership probably doesn't have any maintenance record or information, so you MUST assume that it needs a complete timing belt kit IMMEDIATELY.

The other is a 2002 Golf TDI without all the frills and it's automatic but it's got a much lower mileage at 43,000. This one is from a private seller and they are asking the same amount ($11,900).
The automatic will cost you an average of 5 mpg or more compared to the manual tranny. This one will need a new TB at 80k miles.

If it was me, I'd keep looking.

With gas prices down and diesel now 15-25 cents more than gas nationally, prices of used TDIs should weaken during the next 4-5 months. Don't rush into any purchases, as some of these sellers might get more desperate. Try to find one offered by a private seller, one that has complete maintenance records. Try to stay away from used-car dealerships -- there are a lot of TDIs in poor condition out there, priced the same as the good ones.

Regarding SVO... you can do whatever you want with your own car. But I recommend against buying a TDI that has already been converted. You might think it's worth more than stock, but the opposite is true. A TDI that's been run on SVO or WVO is worth thousands less, because it might require several thousand in repairs.

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat BHW - 6 speed manual
I'd get the 1st one just because it's got a manual transmission.
As the others were saying 111k isn't that many miles on a TDI.

Beeah

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSWs 6MT | 02 Jetta TDI(Sold)
If the 03 has a good maintanace record, get the 03. Check things like if the timing belt was changed and if so, when. The other obvious things like proper oil changes etc breaks etc. If they are compleatly stock its a good thing. If one of them has a CAI or some other rice mod then be suspisous.

This is a highly recommended kit. Cost me $300 to have it installed by a local expert. So factor this into your bargening if it has not been done on the 03.
http://www.dieselgeek.com/Detail.bok?no=349

Last edited:

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
I would take the 03 and manual. I would also not pay 11,900 for either one with out a fight. If the dealer is willing to do a Timing belt and water pump replacement then go for it. If not make them lower the price.

bioduse

Veteran Member
TDI
pumpe duse
Lefty said:
I would take the 03 and manual. I would also not pay 11,900 for either one with out a fight. If the dealer is willing to do a Timing belt and water pump replacement then go for it. If not make them lower the price.
have them do the items mentioned AND lower the price as well . . . .

:)

drab

TDI
none yet
Thanks for all the comments so far, it's been extremely helpful. Stealership is supposed to get me maintenance records today, we'll see. I know they haven't serviced it yet, engine light was on when I test drove it (forgot to mention that). I'm going to try and have my local trusted diesel mechanic check it out.

Also, whitedog wrote "Folks here are running SVO in their newer TDIs, but you need to educate yourself on what they are doing and the mechanical disadvantages of that Vs. Biodiesel."

What are "they" doing? Do you mean the seperate tank, hoses, heating, etc?
-and what are the mechanical disadvantages?

Thanks

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
drab said:
Thanks for all the comments so far, it's been extremely helpful. Stealership is supposed to get me maintenance records today, we'll see. I know they haven't serviced it yet, engine light was on when I test drove it (forgot to mention that). I'm going to try and have my local trusted diesel mechanic check it out.

Also, whitedog wrote "Folks here are running SVO in their newer TDIs, but you need to educate yourself on what they are doing and the mechanical disadvantages of that Vs. Biodiesel."

Thanks
Forgot to mention that! Until that light is gone and doesn't come back on, run away, far away.

Beeah

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSWs 6MT | 02 Jetta TDI(Sold)
drab said:

Thanks
Ask to take it or have someone local with some knowlage and a VAG-Com to check it out. If you want to take it that far. The light could be nothing, most likely is(Glow Plug).

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
I have a 2003 Jetta 5 speed now. I had a 2002 automatic previously. The price seems kinda high for the 2003, but having driven both extensively, I would definitely stay away from the automatic if I had the choice.

As someone else said, a 2002 with that low of miles could very well have been driven like a slug, lugged a lot. If so, the engine could be in pretty crappy shape. As Sweeps and Whitedog said, 111,000 miles isn't that many *if* it has been maintained properly.

I just need to echo what Whitedog said, if you're going to run SVO in a newer Jetta like the ones you are looking at, you really need to have both eyes wide open. Know exactly what you are getting into.

There's a member, named Chasee. I see posts by him/her on the Biodiesel forum. They seem to be very well informed about running SVO.

drab said:

Any suggestions? The high mileage on the Jetta makes me nervous but it was a luxury to drive. I haven't driven the golf. Also, I have future plans of converting to SVO and I don't know if one car is more favorable for SVO conversion. Anyways, your opinions are much appreciated!

02AutoWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (5-speed swapped)
Not sure if the Trunk vs. Hatch has any (dis)advantages with regard to SVO usage... Smells??? Storage???