www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old November 29th, 2007, 12:42   #61
thatvwguy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40 something

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrGutWrench
I just don't like how the oversided tires work on my car
Could you be more specifc...
2004 Jetta TDI, RC3, boost valve, DG skid plate, DG short shift - VW #57
2006 New Beetle TDI, RC1.5 - VW #58
1965 Standard Microbus Dormobile, No RC - VW #59
thatvwguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2007, 13:51   #62
vwxyzero
Veteran Member

I went from the stock 195/60/14 on my 96' Passat to these:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...rk=1&x=18&y=16
195/65/14 for a test...the price was right, they get a pretty fair review, they don't rub and thy are about 1" taller, they also are considered low rolling resistant tires and inexpensive...so far so good...but they are new and the cards are still out. I thought it might increase my MPG, but in city driving it is about the same as before...perhaps they need breaking in...who knows. I have not yet tried them on a long trip...maybe in December.
This is the way I deal with the spedo and odo change: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=184239&page=4
Good luck
vwxyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 18:57   #63
MojoDiesel

Default Largest diameter tires that will work on A5 Jetta?

I'm interested in trying larger diameter tires as well. It would give a bit more ground clearance and correct the speedometer and maybe other advantages. It seems like it would be possible to go as large as 27 inch diameter. 26 seems to have been done but it is hard so far to find much discussion on this. So I second the motion - has anyone tried tires that large?
Old December 19th, 2007, 17:52   #64
vwlogue
Veteran Member

Here's a nice calculator http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html -- giving you tables of odo and speedo errors.

For the past two years I've been running Kumho AS 795 205/65/15 (as opposed to stock 195/65/15) with my OEM alloys. FE pretty much stayed the same. The dimension comp and speedo errors:

The Kumho 795 AS rated 94S 560/A/B are good, economical tires for my use. They're a 0.51" taller and 0.39" wider per the calculator. They have good handling and wear really well.
vwlogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 20:23   #65
MojoDiesel

Default 205-60/16 snow tires work just fine on a 2006 Jetta

Thanks for the tire chart and replies!

Since my last post I got a set of snow tires mounted. They are 205-60/16 and are about an inch larger diameter than stock. They don't rub and feel fine to drive with. Looks like I have room for chains too. I mounted them on the stock aluminum rims.
Old December 20th, 2007, 16:19   #66
jayb79
Veteran Member

Here is a Tire size chart i made up in excel. It shows a few more sizes for those interested.
Old December 21st, 2007, 07:30   #67
DFWDieselJet
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 Jetta

Awe-some jeyb79. Make this sticky!
DFWDieselJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 07:41   #68
thebigarniedog
Master of the Obvious

Two good links on vortex faq on this:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html This is a tire size calculator;
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1776041 This is stock sizes of tires that do not change the speedo.
When interviewed about why no diesel for the new F150, Ford responded to effect that diesel makes no sense in the 1/2 ton market. That brilliance should be repeated in every Ram 1500 eco-diesel commercial.

OCD TDICLUB MEMBER # 1
thebigarniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 01:33   #69
vwmilo

TDI(s): 81 vw caddy

Old thread but it helped me. For anyone searching for info on fitting larger tires on your jetta/golf, this should help!
Here is my 03 mk4 station wagon with 205/70/15 installed all around. 1" ground clearance gained which has made a huge difference! No rubbing. better mpg. win win win.
https://youtu.be/Vul_Uouupl8
vwmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 01:45   #70
vwxyzero
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmilo View Post
Old thread but it helped me. For anyone searching for info on fitting larger tires on your jetta/golf, this should help!
Here is my 03 mk4 station wagon with 205/70/15 installed all around. 1" ground clearance gained which has made a huge difference! No rubbing. better mpg. win win win.
Did you change the ring a pinion gear in the transaxel to keep the same power curve? Just curious.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
vwxyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 18:56   #71
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmilo View Post
I also have an '03 Jetta wagon that came with oversized Michelin winter tires. The circumference is greater, of course, and now the speedometer is nearly actual instead of showing about 3 mph greater than actual. I figure that the distance traveled is about 1.5% further than reflected in the odometer reading, so to get an actual mpg requires an adjustment.

You say "better mpg." Did you make any adjustments? If not then your actual mpg is better than you think.
'03 Golf with 800k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat fuel filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Blizzaks, Delvac1
Become a TDI Club Contributor. http://forums.tdiclub.com/payments.php
TornadoRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 22:58   #72
DivineChaos
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_Jetta_TDI View Post
I own an 06 Jetta TDI. I noticed that my Speedometer is 3 or 4 Miles off what it should be IE: If I'm going down the road 75 I'm really going just a little over 70. This is a fact that I am guessing many of you are familiar with. (VW even admited they knew about it)

Here is the question....

I have 205/55/16's on the TDI. Can anyone tell me if it would be a good or bad idea to go to a 205/65/16? This makes about a 3.9 mile an hour difference according to this tire size web site which would make me closer to correct on the speedometer and odometer, and would this not also show better fuel economy? (less revolutions per mile)
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I have called a few places (including VW) and they said the only thing they can think of that would come into play would be the ABS.

Any thoughts?
with 16" on my car it reads high, with 17" it reads low. both are factory sizes. and rollout of the tire changes as the tire wears. unless the car uses gps for speed and miles its not possible to be 100% accurate all the time.
DivineChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2020, 09:34   #73
B100
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

I went with 205/65 R15 on my 2003 Golf. It essentially eliminated the speedometer error. I made a 2% correction to my mileage tracking spreadsheet, to account for the induced odometer error.
And people... am I the only one who cringes when people describe their speedometer as being off by some set speed? The factory speedo is made to be off by a set percentage.
Old January 17th, 2020, 11:30   #74
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

Doesn't bother me any, I see it as cheap insurance against radar traps.

I'm surprised you found the 206/65R15 to correct the speedo - that's not been my experience personally, mine still reads about 5mph high at 65 (indicated) on my 2002 Jetta.
Rob Mayercik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2020, 12:03   #75
B100
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Mayercik View Post
Doesn't bother me any, I see it as cheap insurance against radar traps.

I'm surprised you found the 206/65R15 to correct the speedo - that's not been my experience personally, mine still reads about 5mph high at 65 (indicated) on my 2002 Jetta.
I went from a 55 profile to a 65 profile... taller tires will have the affect of lowering the indicated speed of the vehicle, for a given speedometer. How could it be otherwise?

I tested with various GPS apps, on straight roads at steady speeds, and the corrected indicated velocity is consistent.