www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old January 14th, 2020, 20:52   #16
tjsean0308
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman1985 View Post
TDI 1 - 255/35/18 Federal 595 RS-RR
TDI 2 - 205/55/16 Antares ingens a1
GLI - 225/40/18 Bridgestone
GLS - 215/45/17 Kumho

For fuel economy and all around I liked the antares tires honestly. Used them mainly due to price and wanted to see what they'll do. Handled winter decent and they dont have to be all that fancy for my daily.

The federals however I'm happy with the grip even on super wet roads they grip fairly decent. By far not the best size to put on a car for fuel eco but that didnt play a role as it's still getting better milage than the auto tdi lol...

The other two I dont drive much so if its durable on a budget I'm happy with the antares. Even put them on my mkv rabbit when it came down to it. Same size as the ones on the 2 piece bbs rims on my tdi

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the response. I don't think the vendor I'm going with can get me the Antares, but I'm always happy to hear opinions. I bet the car with the Federals is super fun off the line

tjsean0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 21:13   #17
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsean0308 View Post
You talking about Bridgestone RE71s? I think those are bit a too track focused for my VNT17 stage one tune BEW in an otherwise stock MK4. You like them though?
Consensus is that they are far beyond DOT legal. but some how they are. they are EPIC. i get about 27 events in before they are gone. very noisy tire.

yea, to and from track events, thats it, 40 heat cycles and there done so...... but if you want the most you can get, make them work.....if i could pay up for hoosiers then i would but the re71's are far past as good as it gets for DOT

Last edited by Mongler98; January 14th, 2020 at 21:21.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 21:25   #18
tjsean0308
Veteran Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
Consensus is that they are far beyond DOT legal. but some how they are. they are EPIC. i get about 27 events in before they are gone. very noisy tire.

yea, to and from track events, thats it, 40 heat cycles and there done so...... but if you want the most you can get, make them work.....if i could pay up for hoosiers then i would but the re71's are far past as good as it gets for DOT
Well, I am a pro driver, but more in the >60,000 pound with 10 or more tire class.

I'll keep these in mind for that someday race car I keep wanting to build.

Old January 14th, 2020, 22:29   #19
OlyTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '04 Golf

I'm currently running Pirelli P7 Cinteratos. They're a very nice grand touring commuter tire that is pretty quiet. Very good wear. What I don't like about them is their wet weather performance. Not great here in the PNW. They're fine in dry conditions.

My last set were the Michelin MXV4 which were FANTASTIC! I'd still be running them but they were discontinued. Quiet, great dry and wet performance, quiet, and long lasting (I got over 100,000 miles out of my set). Did I mention quiet? I really miss those tires.

Anyway, why a fantastic, greatly popular, and number 1 rated tire gets discontinued is beyond me.
Malone Tuned, SBC Stage II Daily, Nicktane Cat 2 fuel filter, Dieselgeek bypass oil filter, Whitedog intake hose fix, A4 Defender skid plate, GLI Recaros, Check Temp III, Ventectomy, LED trunk lighting mod, Volx glass headlight lenses, VR6 front and wagon rear springs. Koni FSDs all around. FrostHeater with bumper mounted plug-in mod (details here).

Last edited by OlyTDI; January 19th, 2020 at 18:59.
OlyTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 22:40   #20
tjsean0308
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyTDI View Post
I'm currently running Pirelli P7 Cinteratos. They're a very nice grand touring commuter tire that is pretty quiet. Very good wear. What I don't like about them is their wet weather performance. Not great here in the PNW. Their fine in dry conditions.

My last set were the Michelin MXV4 which were FANTASTIC! I'd still be running them but they were discontinued. Quiet, great dry and wet performance, quiet, and long lasting (I got over 100,000 miles out of my set). Did I mention quiet? I really miss those tires.

Anyway, why a fantastic, greatly popular, and number 1 rated tire gets discontinued is beyond me.
Are you referring to the MXV4 as getting discontinued? Cause they're on Tirerack right now, but I'm not sure if it's old stock or something. That's the OEM spare in the trunk of my wagon.

Old January 15th, 2020, 02:40   #21
PakProtector
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsean0308 View Post
Do you run snows in the winter? No weird stuff from that tread pattern?
Nope, no running special snow tires. Nothing 'weird' either. They're quiet on the variable MI roads I have rolled them down...
cheers,
Douglas

2004 Jetta, 5spd...stock and turning 47-48mpg
PakProtector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2020, 08:08   #22
Steve-o
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 58/42/32

Running on the low end here. Firestone Champion Fuel Fighters. Really stupid name (who fights fuel?). Decent tire.

I wanted General RT43s this round since I really like my General Altimax Arctics. My tech, whom I trust, said he likes their winter traction (considering they're "no-seasons") but that they were a little harsh and noisy the rest of the year. Since I'm already running winter tires, I don't need to give on harsh and noisy for winter traction.

He recommended the Firestones as a comfortable tire (the roads around here make third-world countries look advanced) that met my LRR and $$ requirements. I'm happy with them. I drive the car like a grandpa (I am) and I don't drive so much any more. They offer as much traction as I want on on-ramps, they are just a titch noisier than the Bridgestone Ecopia 100s they replaced, and they're better in standing pools of water than the Ecopias were. So I'm good. Not the tire the OP is looking for but it might help out someone else.
Old January 18th, 2020, 08:40   #23
sriracha
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40mpg+/-

Iím running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on 17Ē Audi Fat Fives. The Pilot Sport is a great coastal California tire where itís either bone dry or torrential downpour. They are great at cornering in both dry and wet. Nice traction and excellent resistance to hydroplaning. Probably not the best for fuel economy because they are sticky. However, they are quiet tires and ride smooth. I got them at Costco during their regular Michelin sales, $150 price reduction.
Old January 18th, 2020, 10:13   #24
joep1234
Veteran Member

Don't flame me. I have ran Toyo's that didn't last 20k miles and a couple other brands that just didn't last. My last set is a set of Westlakes EL on a set of Turbo S 17" wheels. On my last rotate I still had over 60% of the thread and 32k miles on them. Not bad for a set of tires for $320 out the door.
Old January 18th, 2020, 10:27   #25
super1
Veteran Member

TDI(s): none

I put these on my Golf & Jetta Wagon & Love them I know theyíre all seasons but at the time Goodyear was given $100 rebate back now I think itís $75 back canít go wrong with these

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...&autoYear=2002

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
super1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2020, 13:48   #26
Freeman4455

Summer tires on my Golf Mk4 TDI are (second set now) Bridgestone Potenza from 2015, set before that was user for 75000km, this one is on 60000km now and should be replaced soon. Tire is quite, got good fuel economy, on rain very good, even now does not slip or swim in aquaplan below 70 km/h, and is cheap (I think in your currency it could be found for 70-80 US dollars).
Freeman4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2020, 11:41   #27
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

I had two sets of Toyo Proxes TPTs (long since discontinued), loved them. 80+K each set, handled nicely, excellent MPG.

Then two sets of Firestone Precision Sports - did quite well with those also. got 60K or so out of each set, wore well, gripped nicely.

Running Nokian WRG3s now, thinking about the General RT43s myself for the next set since I'm not as happy with the wet grip on the WRs...
Rob Mayercik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2020, 16:43   #28
krivs388

TDI(s): 05 Golf TDI

I run a set of super cheap starfire solarus 195/65/15's. I paid less than 40 bucks a pop and I still get 43+ mpg. Good traction in the rain and snow and the tires still look great 15k miles later. I got the car dirt cheap, so I went with cheapies on the first set. I may get nice michelin's down the line.
krivs388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2020, 20:28   #29
tjsean0308
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the replies. I ordered the Michelin Premier A/S I was looking at the Goodyear Assurances as mentioned above as well, but the shop that is refurbishing the rims are not Goodyear dealers. So the Michelin's won out by a narrow margin over a few highly recommended tires. I'll be sure to check back with my opinions.