www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Touareg TDIs

VW Touareg TDIs This is a general discussion about Touareg TDIs. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old December 26th, 2019, 20:29   #1
Savageman69
Veteran Member

Default overland offroadish build

Ever since i bought my touareg 4 years ago ive been dreaming of lifting it and making it look amazing and more capable.

Well my dream came true and now begins the full build...so far the lift is on, new aftermarket 17 inch rims are on the way and i plan to squeeze a 33x12.5 r17 on it. Also some spacers to give it a nicer stance.

After that it will be a winch hidden inside the front bumper, and a custom roof basket with full spare and led light bars.

Anyway this is where it stands currently with the 30.5 inch bfg k02s and a 2.5 inch lift.

2012 Touareg v6 TDI - 8spd - Silver - Weathertechs - Delete Downpipe/Dpf/Scr Pipes - Hybrid 2260 - 4 Bar Map - Stage 3 Tune - 32 BFG k02s - 2.5inch Lift - Cayenne Trans Coding - Gutted/Painted Muffler - Full Led Swap - EGR Coolers Delete
2006 Jetta TDI 5pd
Savageman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2019, 15:19   #2
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

Fuel Economy: Depends on which TDI :)

Looks great! What did you use for the lift?
Old December 27th, 2019, 15:31   #3
Savageman69
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-98AHU View Post
Looks great! What did you use for the lift?
nothing really on the market, hence why i waiting 4 years looking....a guy in Australia makes it, its a spring spacer his name is alex gee....he has built them for the older touaregs for a while and just released these version, i found him on instagram
2012 Touareg v6 TDI - 8spd - Silver - Weathertechs - Delete Downpipe/Dpf/Scr Pipes - Hybrid 2260 - 4 Bar Map - Stage 3 Tune - 32 BFG k02s - 2.5inch Lift - Cayenne Trans Coding - Gutted/Painted Muffler - Full Led Swap - EGR Coolers Delete
2006 Jetta TDI 5pd
Old January 1st, 2020, 23:27   #4
Savageman69
Veteran Member

No real update just been out enjoying it...rims are still coming in the mail and havent decided on tires just yet.

I plan to outfit this with winch, roof rack, led light bars, roof tent..and a bunch of gear as i plan to do a cross country trip and tackle some trails and put it to the test

2006 Jetta TDI 5pd

Last edited by Savageman69; January 1st, 2020 at 23:30.
Old January 6th, 2020, 19:40   #5
Mike in Anchorage
Veteran Member

Don't know if T'regs have tried Hell's Revenge, but 4Runners do it, so it's possible. Looks fun.
~ I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. Marilyn Monroe
2015 Tornado Red Golf TDI Sportwagen SE, new on 2 SEP 2017, DSG, big sunroof. Lovin it!
Mike in Anchorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2020, 21:08   #6
Savageman69
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Anchorage View Post
Don't know if T'regs have tried Hell's Revenge, but 4Runners do it, so it's possible. Looks fun.
TFL on youtube had 2006 v8 touareg on 32 inch bfg ko2s they did fins and things and hells revenge...it had air suspension as well but it did it pretty well...theres videos on youtube. I want to try some of those trails when i get down there
2006 Jetta TDI 5pd
Old January 8th, 2020, 20:01   #7
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

Fuel Economy: Depends on which TDI :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageman69 View Post
TFL on youtube had 2006 v8 touareg on 32 inch bfg ko2s they did fins and things and hells revenge...it had air suspension as well but it did it pretty well...theres videos on youtube. I want to try some of those trails when i get down there
Not only air suspension, but the gen 1 Touaregs also got a low gear transfer case (additional 2.7:1 reduction compared to the normal "Auto diff" mode). Theirs is also equipped with the somewhat rare optional locking rear differential. Though I will say that the ABS/ESP/EDL programming in off road mode is still highly effective so that in most conditions eliminates the need for the locker anyway, but still, at the end of the day the locker in theory still has a mechanical advantage the ESP/EDL can't provide.

The first gen Touareg with air and rear locker is an off road sleeper for sure. Though I will say with the air suspension at full extension is very stiff and has very little articulation. It's a slow, not very comfortable crawl if you genuinely need that extra height.
Old January 9th, 2020, 13:36   #8
casioqv
Veteran Member

Very cool, I look forward to seeing your progress as there isn't much info on Treg overland builds. I just picked up a post-fix 2009 TDI Touareg to do a mild overland build on, for family camping. I'm pretty much just planning KO2s, roof tent, recovery gear, and skid plates.
Old January 10th, 2020, 17:39   #9
Savageman69
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-98AHU View Post
Not only air suspension, but the gen 1 Touaregs also got a low gear transfer case (additional 2.7:1 reduction compared to the normal "Auto diff" mode). Theirs is also equipped with the somewhat rare optional locking rear differential. Though I will say that the ABS/ESP/EDL programming in off road mode is still highly effective so that in most conditions eliminates the need for the locker anyway, but still, at the end of the day the locker in theory still has a mechanical advantage the ESP/EDL can't provide.
The first gen Touareg with air and rear locker is an off road sleeper for sure. Though I will say with the air suspension at full extension is very stiff and has very little articulation. It's a slow, not very comfortable crawl if you genuinely need that extra height.
Yes without a doubt the t1 and t2 are way better off road, we will see how this does little ive done it handles well off road, i have ground clearance now and with the diesel and the 8 spd first is super low...not low range low but im going to put it to work....im thinking about being the first documented touareg to attempt hells gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by casioqv View Post
Very cool, I look forward to seeing your progress as there isn't much info on Treg overland builds. I just picked up a post-fix 2009 TDI Touareg to do a mild overland build on, for family camping. I'm pretty much just planning KO2s, roof tent, recovery gear, and skid plates.
Thanks and i will keep this up to date
2006 Jetta TDI 5pd
Old January 10th, 2020, 20:06   #10
QuickTD
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageman69 View Post

Balls bridge, Auburn, On. used to fish off that center piling as a kid.
QuickTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2020, 09:50   #11
Savageman69
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTD View Post
Balls bridge, Auburn, On. used to fish off that center piling as a kid.
Sure is lol
2006 Jetta TDI 5pd
Old January 14th, 2020, 19:15   #12
Savageman69
Veteran Member

put on some wore 32s for now...and rims came

2006 Jetta TDI 5pd
Old January 18th, 2020, 00:08   #13
Savageman69
Veteran Member

test fit went okay...they fit, but its SUPER close to the caliper, i suggest a spacer of any size, i knew i was going to run some anyway so 15mm fronts and 20mms rear have been ordered....heres pics i threw 15mms of washers behind just to see the offset outlook

So close lol..but doesnt actually touch

2006 Jetta TDI 5pd
Old January 22nd, 2020, 22:17   #14
Savageman69
Veteran Member

more just messing around

2006 Jetta TDI 5pd
Old January 23rd, 2020, 08:32   #15
GlowBugTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 mpg average

I love it!! I would totally do this if i had a Touareg. Unless you'd never use it a rack, and maybe bull bar or something similar would look neat as well.
GlowBugTDI is offline   Reply With Quote