www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old January 14th, 2020, 10:36   #1
brandonfast
Veteran Member

Default Hello with next mods..slippery slope

So I have 2001 golf alh that has 377k miles. I have owned it for 8 years and been modified for about 6 years. As it stands it has 11mm pump, 17/22, race520's, sb stage 2 clutch which needs replacing, omi, 3 inch turbo back, tacotaco side mount, pd intake manifold, upgraded upper and lower boost pipes and a kerma tune. Boost and egt gauges. The car runs fine for the miles and neglect of oil leaks. I am getting ready to tear it down and do a complete reseal of the engine and wondering what is really worth doing at the same time that's not going over board. I am thinking at the very least arp hardware and some rods. I wouldn't doubt my rods are not totally straight at this point. I know its a slippery slope on these motors. If you build up the block then you need the hardware to use it like even bigger turbo and nozzles, then its a better clutch and then even a built trans and axles. All I really would like is to make the engine be "bullet proof" for the turbo, pump and injectors I have where I can beat on it and not worry about egts as much or too much boost at low rpm. I rarely go past 1000* on my egt's and the boost is maxed out at 28 sustained but spikes upwards of 30-32 if i let it.
brandonfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2020, 10:47   #2
Nero Morg
Veteran Member

Head studs. Maybe main ARPs. If you've made it this far without head issues, I'd just leave it be. Messing with things that aren't broke is just asking for a can of worms to open.
Old January 14th, 2020, 14:31   #3
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

I'm also betting the rods are bent. Been there. I'd replace rods and rings, hone the cylinders, check crank bearings (they may actually be OK), refresh the head with new valve guides, seals, valves, etc., plane the head, and use studs when reassembling. That will make it more bulletproof, but I'd still keep boost below 30 PSI. And don't lower compression. You could have the head ported, although I didn't have a lot of luck with that.
Old January 14th, 2020, 16:28   #4
Rrusse11
Veteran Member

How many miles have you put on it? I'd suggest it'd be easier and cheaper
to find a low mileage stock engine, bolt your go fast bits on, with some
ARP headstuds, and start again.
RC Stage 4: 11mm pump, 17/22, .230 nozzles, 3barMAP,EGR Delete, PD150Intake,SMIC,2.5" Exhaust: Koni Sp Reds, Wagon Springs, ~1"/2"lift:VR6 fr swaybar, Top strut & rear tie bar: 215/55ZR16 GMax AS05's, 10mm/20mm spacers, 35# @: skid plate: 02J, SBC2 End, .717 5th, Peloquin LSD, Fluidampr: TT Short Shifter: : VR6 fr, TT rr Brks
Rrusse11 is offline   Reply With Quote