fuel lubricity data- with and without additives.

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
tditom said:
common-rail is not any more or less dependant on fuel lubricity.

ULSD is necessary for emissions equipment, and the DPF is where sulfur would show up as a problem.

see post #1- there are significant differences between the ULSD here in the states and in Europe. we are discussing the lubricity difference in this thread.
What I said was that VW and others have stated the 2009/10 VW TDI engine was designed and built to run on ULSD only. VW does not recommend ANY additive Bio excluded......B5 is OK.

If your car is a pre-2009 TDI VW does allow you to add an additive. Nothing more, nothing less.

Read the forum a little more and you'll find what I just said. Good Luck and happy driving..... :)

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
GTIDan, Conoco/Philips supposedly says that they are adding lubricity additives to "TARGET" a level of 460. That is good and if the fuel actually has a 460 micron lubricity level that is even better. Bosch says 460 microns is the MINIMUM they believe is adequate not a "TARGET" level.

There is uncertainty about the actual level of lubricity in ULSD and even testing ULSD for lubricity can result in a wide variance among independent testing operators according to Conoco/Phillips. All we know is that the minimum level for lubricity should be no greater than 520 microns and hopefully around 460 using Conoco/Phillips fuel.

It is wa......y to early to speculate whether Conoco/Phillips, Chevron, or other fuel will not result in reduced longevity of HPFP. If they can say they "MEET" a 460 micron level than I'd be fine with no additional lubricity additives. And simply because a specific brand of fuel did not cause a problem yet is not a rubber stamp that the fuel will not cause issues as Bosch described in their reports in the future.

To me it's not a debate. It's risk management. I don't expect my home to burn down tomorrow, the next day, next year or ever and I don't expect my HPFP to fail anytime soon either and maybe never also. But I still carry homeowner's insurance and I will continue to use B2 in my 2009 TDI for the forseeable future.:)

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Well put Plus3! It continues to amaze me that folks still fight the additive issue and wish to debate it. There is far to much information to prove that additives are a necessary part of our fill-up based on what we know and testing/reporting that's been done. It's a common sense precautionary measure to spend $1-$2 per tank and add a few ounces of your additive of choice (or the addition of Bio) to improve lubricity. You don't gamble with your health and your property so why gamble with your car:confused: I don't care what any fuel company or even VW tells me in a letter and I am not a half-empty guy. I, as we all have, have looked at some serious data and choose to make a highly educated decision to increase the lubricity properties of my fuel at each fill-up. I strongly believe that a little additive is only going to help and provides me with a stronger peace of mind to drive more and worry less:cool:

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I might use Stanadyne lubricity formula, but I wouldn't mess with anything that plays with cetane and ignition delay. This is considering that the exhaust aftertreatment is strongly dependent on typical cetane values of US fuel. This is what the system was designed for.

MotoWPK

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Fuel characteristics and treatment

UFO - The problems in engines with using too little are far more severe than too much.

Yes, but, that doesn't change the fact that it is best to use just what is needed. Take by analogy engine oil which contains a number of additives to achieve a variety of properties like keeping solids in suspension. While that's good, engine oil is still manufactured with what is needed to achieve a desired performance because too much of those same additives will cause their own problems.

Plus 3 Golfer - It seems to me that if the standard were 460 microns like in Europe instead of 520 microns then the additive package should target to increase lubricity to around 400 microns which IIRC is what Bosch would really like to see.

One of the impressions I received talking with Conoco Phillips was that the target of 460 meant applying a margin relative to this to account for the variabilities involved, hence typically seeing values below this (e.g. the 413 mentioned from testing in the Denver area). This strikes me as similar to the situation with regard to sulfur levels. The limit is 15 ppm, but to avoid exceeding this margin has to be applied to account for the variabilities in fuel production with, from data I've seen, typical values being 10 ppm or less.

tditom - ...the only thing i would be concerned about is that unless you have something in writing from them, or a publicized document from them making those claims, then you can't rely on them continuing to beat the standard set by ASTM.

That's right, there are no guarantees (are there ever?), but there are reasons to have confidence, including a fuel manufacturer's reputation and their business motivation to maintain that reputation.​
securityguy - You don't gamble with your health and your property so why gamble with your car.

Actually, people gamble with their health and property all the time, but we know what you mean. Still, take the health analogy - nutrients and medicines may be good, but too much of almost anything is bad.

I'm not arguing for or against additives, but just as the variability in fuel lubricity from the pump is a concern, there is quite a bit of variability involved with treating at the time of fueling. Talking with the fellow from Innospec gave a much different impression of how ULSD is treated. It's not just a matter of throwing in additives at the terminal. Instead it's a process that is integrated into the fuel manufacture, taking into account varying properties of the raw ULSD, temperature and other factors, and the end result is monitored to provide feedback to the treating process. This is normal practice in the modern manufacture of fuels, lubricating oils and most manufacturing processes. When you treat at the time of fueling you don't know the characteristics of the fuel you are treating and you cannot predict the fuel characteristics that result. And, while the risk of too many additives may be less than too few, it does have a risk.

In the end the ideal situation is to have a fuel you have confidence in. Heck, I admit I'd prefer to not have to bother with pouring in additives when I fuel (and indeed, I'm not at present, the last time I did was 40 years ago with a 2-stroke SAAB - but I digress). I do think that one should realize that treating at the time of fueling is not guaranteed to eliminate risks and does potentially entail possible risks in itself. There's a lot of focus in this discussion about lubricity, but that is only one of several fuel characteristics that are important to our fuel systems, and then there's the exhaust system with its complex chemical reactions.

2009 Jetta TDI DSG

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I just visited station with "premium" bio-diesel for sale in three mixtures -- B-5, B-10, and B-20. Sweet. The regular premium is rated 460 for lubricity and 50 cetane. Half a tank of premium and half B-5. Best of worlds :D.

Last edited:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
jbright- please list that station location on pogopop77's premium diesel location thread.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Will do. The company is CountryMark, for those who live in Indiana (they also have some stations in Michigan, Ohio, and Illinois. Locally drilled crude (yes, there's oil in the midwest), refined in Indiana and distributed through their own network. I've been very impressed with their products.

http://www.countrymark.com/diesel.cfm

The bio-diesel is harder to come by since the subsidy was ended.

Last edited:

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
Now CounryMark has got it right. So, unlike Conoco/Phillips which supposedly "targets" 460 microns, CountryMark "specs" 460 microns.

jbright, do you know if ALL CountryMark retail stations carry the Premium Diesel? Their website seems to indicate that all branded fuels are sold at the retail stations. Since I drive through Indiana on I70 at least once a year and notice a few CountyMark stations near I70, I'll probably stop at one.

Conoco/Phillips, Chevron, et.al, please publish some specs on your branded ULSD. If you don't, we can only assume you are selling us Standard Common Carrier #2 Diesel.:eek:

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I've only been to the stations in Chalmers, Lebanon, Greenfield and Noblesville. All carried the premium. I think this is the norm. From what I was told, CountryMark "fortified" the premium with 2% bio for a while, but recently it seems that was discontinued because of the subsidy cancellation. The regular premium seems like a great product, though. I went to Noblesville today because a CountryMark rep told me I could get bio there, which was true. The CountryMark stations I've been to have all been more "old school" farm co-op ventures, not the Replicator chain stations with a convenience store and car wash. Growing up on a farm, I still find this comforting, even with the high tech machine I'm driving. The diesel fuel quality issue really concerns me. Gasoline was not something I thought about much. CountryMark is an example of a small company putting out a great product they stand behind. They provide all the relevant information on their product, as well. There's a map of CM stations on their website you can use if you're in this area.

Last edited:

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
securityguy said:
Well put Plus3! It continues to amaze me that folks still fight the additive issue and wish to debate it. There is far to much information to prove that additives are a necessary part of our fill-up based on what we know and testing/reporting that's been done. It's a common sense precautionary measure to spend $1-$2 per tank and add a few ounces of your additive of choice (or the addition of Bio) to improve lubricity. You don't gamble with your health and your property so why gamble with your car:confused: I don't care what any fuel company or even VW tells me in a letter and I am not a half-empty guy. I, as we all have, have looked at some serious data and choose to make a highly educated decision to increase the lubricity properties of my fuel at each fill-up. I strongly believe that a little additive is only going to help and provides me with a stronger peace of mind to drive more and worry less:cool:
Securityguy,

With all due respect, the issues are nebulous because there isn't enough data that proves any additive claims to any significant end point. What little information there is, shows a wide effect on lubricity by aftermarket additives with no data on any side effects or whether this applies across the board to all fuels supplied at the pump. There is no "real world" data to support laboratory claims. For all we know, Bosch is just trying to make a less expensive pump by convincing others to make a better fuel.

Better to ask a fuel engineer for data and not argue from the straw man: "the evils of capitalism" especially if you put all your trust in fuel pump manufacturers/aftermarket additive makers and none in the car manufacturers, fuel suppliers, and fleet operators.

If you look at consumer data for most everything out there, including vitamins, there is much more hype than real data. Common sense may be only established when fuel pump failures begin to show up with our beloved diesels. I can't remember hearing of any that can be blamed on fuel lubricity, and I have only heard of one or two.

My CDI has 174,000 miles on it now. No additives. If it ever needs a new fuel pump, it will cost $800 to replace it with almost no effort since it sits in front of the engine. It has no distribution function whatsoever, the rest of the system does and is also modular. The car will probably fall apart before it needs a new engine. If lubricity improvers were of any benefit, it may never matter. I don't think anyone knows how long the CDI engine lasts under our conditions/use since it is newer tech, but my guess is that it will outlast everything else on the car.

The point is, manufacturers can make components that last "forever" but the price would be astronomical when the car reaches the showroom. All engineering is a compromise of cost vs. longevity vs. function. It is completely obvious to me that the ASTM process dtermining recommended lubricity was just that: a discussion that led to a compromise. I would only expect pump manufacturers to "push the envelope" to benefit their product just as anyone would when negotiating a price or a salary or anything else. That is common sense.

Cheers.

TM

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Even more likely: the Bosch people that went to the ASTM meeting were not the decisionmakers on the fuel pump specs. It was in their interest to push for European standards. That would make it easier for them to sell fuel pumps in the US. With "lower" fuel standards in the US, European manufacturers would need to bring over only their "better" fuel pumps as a result.

Not much of a problem for Mercedes, I would guess, and VW markets its diesels to all sorts of third world countries which surely have low quality diesel also.

Men worry over the great number of diseases, while doctors worry over the scarcity of effective remedies.
Author: Pien Ch'Iao

TM

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Tin-Man, I do not disgaree with anything you said and your reply is well stated. I have also stated in the past that we may all never know the the real cause of the HPFP issues as I am sure that VW and BOSCH, as well as others, will keep that information very close to their vest. What I think we all can agree on is that there is a lot of fuel being sold out there there does not meet the required specifications. My main point is that for a couple of dollars per tank, is it really worth it not to use a lubricity enhancer like Bio or an additive product? Maybe all of us using these products are wasting our money but I'd be willing to wager that we are not based on the "nebulous" studies we have all read and input from members that I trust and respect posting information that would lead any common sense individual to the same conclusion that a quality product (PS, Stanadyne, OL, B&G, etc.) will not hurt and may only enhance the longevity of the fuel pumps in 2009 and later automobiles. In addition, your TDI is an 04 and your CDI is a 2005 product so we are not comparing apples to apples as the engines and their design are very different from the newer CEBA models. My comments have always been directed only to those with the newer engines and I apologize if I failed to make that clear in prior posts.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
great find, jbright! thanks for the info on Countrymark.

(hey tinman- some of those stations may be close enough for you, too ;))

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tditom said:
great find, jbright! thanks for the info on Countrymark.

(hey tinman- some of those stations may be close enough for you, too ;))
Nope. No CountryMark here in Georgia.

My CDI likes BP and Chevron. It dislikes Shell and Pilot, even the Shell labeled as having biodiesel in it. Gets a lot of increased knock at low throttle. Seems quieter and smoother with the better stuff. No sign of any "premium" diesel choices.

TM

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
securityguy said:
Tin-Man, I do not disgaree with anything you said and your reply is well stated. I have also stated in the past that we may all never know the the real cause of the HPFP issues as I am sure that VW and BOSCH, as well as others, will keep that information very close to their vest. What I think we all can agree on is that there is a lot of fuel being sold out there there does not meet the required specifications. My main point is that for a couple of dollars per tank, is it really worth it not to use a lubricity enhancer like Bio or an additive product? Maybe all of us using these products are wasting our money but I'd be willing to wager that we are not based on the "nebulous" studies we have all read and input from members that I trust and respect posting information that would lead any common sense individual to the same conclusion that a quality product (PS, Stanadyne, OL, B&G, etc.) will not hurt and may only enhance the longevity of the fuel pumps in 2009 and later automobiles. In addition, your TDI is an 04 and your CDI is a 2005 product so we are not comparing apples to apples as the engines and their design are very different from the newer CEBA models. My comments have always been directed only to those with the newer engines and I apologize if I failed to make that clear in prior posts.
Your screen name fits you perfectly I'll have to say. With all due respect you keep tossing lines out there as if they were facts.

Such as: We can all agree there is a lot of fuel out there that does not meet spec. Say what? You have no clue, nor due I, that that's true.

VW clearly states the 2009/10 engine was designed to run on ULSD only.

There is no major problem with HPFPs on the new 'clean diesel' motor.

There is ample information out there that 'pre 2009 engines' do have a HPFP problem of some degree and will benefit from an additive.

Adding a couple extra dollars per tank your defeating the benefits of driving a diesel.........economy. Drive a gasser if that's your plan.

and lastly it's been shown herein that several distributors already deliver diesel fuel with enough lubircity to do the job. I suspect many more do as well.

VW as a brand is working hard to convince Americans to go 'clean diesel'. It would not benefit this effort to purchase fuel pumps that will not do the job and Bosch is not a company that delivers crap.

and....................the debate goes on.

Cheers. :)

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
Dan...believe what you wish and I'm glad you like my screen name. Please accept my apology as I keep forgetting that you're from CA:eek: :D

Last edited:

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Diesel fuel samples

dieseldorf said:
This is ridiculous and disturbing. I've been concerned for a long time whether the fuel distributors are actually taking the care required to deliver a quality product. It's obvious they're not.

T, just how much does it cost to have fuel tested at this level? :(

The pump rebuild people will be rubbing their hands together in evil delight after reviewing this data.
Howdy
Dorf,
Diesel fuel analysis about $32 per sample
You can get your #2 diesel sampled here:
http://www.polarislabs1.com/fuel-analysis.php
http://www.polarislabs1.com/test-list.php

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
securityguy said:
I do respect your point of view but it just isn't based on facts. PS in one very limited study actually decreased lubricity (you can look up a previous thread where this was documented) and PS is probably the most popular additive.

Most of us would like to see what the fuel additive makers have as data supporting their claims, but sadly, there is none to be found.

There is a very popular weight loss supplement on the TV that avoids government sanction by not quantifying the weight loss: if the pill has fiber (which it does) then it will cause a .00001 lb weight loss compared to if the pill had something else with calories in it. Thus, the company is not held responsible for any false claims. An additive maker can do the same thing: it can claim improved fuel economy, for example, because it is mostly made up of diesel fuel anyway, so the customer will go further on a tank with the additive!

So its not that any reasonable person wouldn't like to protect their investment or help make it last longer, its that the claimed effects not only are not supported by any reasonable data, there is no information as to possible harm the additive may cause.

TM

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
Tin Man said:
I do respect your point of view but it just isn't based on facts. PS in one very limited study actually decreased lubricity (you can look up a previous thread where this was documented) and PS is probably the most popular additive.

Most of us would like to see what the fuel additive makers have as data supporting their claims, but sadly, there is none to be found.

There is a very popular weight loss supplement on the TV that avoids government sanction by not quantifying the weight loss: if the pill has fiber (which it does) then it will cause a .00001 lb weight loss compared to if the pill had something else with calories in it. Thus, the company is not held responsible for any false claims. An additive maker can do the same thing: it can claim improved fuel economy, for example, because it is mostly made up of diesel fuel anyway, so the customer will go further on a tank with the additive!

So its not that any reasonable person wouldn't like to protect their investment or help make it last longer, its that the claimed effects not only are not supported by any reasonable data, there is no information as to possible harm the additive may cause.

TM
Thanks for another voice of reason here.............totally agree with you.

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
securityguy said:
Dan...believe what you wish and I'm glad you like my screen name. Please accept my apology as I keep forgetting that you're from CA:eek: :D
I see your from Virginia..............stopped there once but the place was closed. :eek:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
here it is again, guys:
tditom said:
  1. FACT: The process to refine ULSD lowers the "natural" lubricity of the fuel.
  2. FACT: The pump components that create high pressures in a diesel FI system are only lubricated by the fuel that runs inside them.
  3. FACT: Bosch recommends a lubricity protection level of a MAXIMUM 460 micron wear scar for their diesel FI equipment.
  4. FACT: Europe and Canada have adopted this standard suggested by Bosch and other FIE manufacturers.
  5. FACT: The wear standard adopted by ASTM for U.S. diesel is 520, and according to one fuel additive manufacturer a fuel can test as high as 560 and still "pass" the ASTM standard. (Due to testing variability)
  6. FACT: Some fuel additive manufacturers have provided test results that appear to show lubricity improvement with their product.
I guess it comes down to deciding if you want to follow the advice of the people who designed the FI system.
-OR-
Assume that the fuel distributors will provide more than "enough" (according to ASTM) protection. (If I were in charge of a fuel distribution terminal, and could save my company $$$ on additives by just meeting the standard, that's exactly what I'd do.)
nothing has changed since i first posted this in Nov 07. Bosch and the other fuel manufacturers have reiterated their stance last Sep.

Are you aware that the European Norm diesel spec EN590 was first created over 10 years ago? The Swedes tried 0 sulfur diesel in the early nineties and it became quickly evident that lubricity additives were necessary and the specification for wear was arrived at with the cooperation of fuel distributors and DFIE mfrs. That standard was well proven by the time ASTM got around to setting a lubricity standard in 2005 for US diesel fuel. In spite of that, ASTM decided to go with a much more lenient standard. I have to laugh when you guys declare that Bosch should have designed their fuel systems to work with US fuel. Talk about egocentric American thinking :eek:... Why not ask why ASTM went against a proven standard that's in use in the rest of the civilized world and hasn't caused any fuel refiners or consumers to go broke :confused: ?

So what are we left with? Hoping that fuel distributors will do better than they need to? Or that Bosch's published data on equipment longevity is wrong? Or do we go ahead and use proven additives, heeding the additive mfr directions for dosing so as not to cause other issues?

I am very fortunate to have access to quality biodiesel that I can mix with premium diesel for excellent lubricity protection. I would encourage all other diesel operators to do their homework and find good fuel sources, like jbright has done. It's too bad that we need to take these extra measures to operate our vehicles as they were designed, but that's the reality of it- because our standard setting body chose to push the limit.

MotoWPK

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
While a 460 HFRR rating is clearly better than the US standard of 520, it's not unreasonable to expect suppliers will work to better this to; 1) account for the variability in producing diesel (they do for sulfur, for example) and, 2) protect their reputation. Creation of an association between a fuel brand and injection equipment failures would be highly detrimental to the sales of that brand, so there is motivation for fuel suppliers to provide quality fuel, at least those suppliers who care about their brand's reputation.

What is 'quality'? I was encourage when I talked with Conoco Phillips and their additive supplier, Innospec, that they were very aware of the difference between 'good', e.g. the 460 lubricity rating, and the minimum required, the 520 ASTM spec, even citing the manufacturers' recommended lubricity values as a reference.

Not to disagree with anyone who decides to use additives, but I do think some have too high an expectation of the protection that may be afforded. I have some times seen in this discussion the comment that using an additive is an 'insurance' against a bad batch of fuel.

I contacted Power Service with a couple of questions, one being the difference in the results shown in the Spicer lubricity test, http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177728, compared to those provided to one of the forum members, http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=196059. Power Service provided a very comprehensive and detailed reply (by comparison, technical questions submitted to Opti-Lube and Stanadyne have gone unanswered).

PS' main point in the variation between these results was "Fuels will respond differently to an additive like lubricity." explaining that in tests they've done of competitive products, some will do better on "1 or 2 fuels" but if you test on "10 or 20 fuels we will do better on the vast majority of the fuels." Indeed, one reason PS chose not to participate in the Spicer test was because only one fuel was going to be used.

The variation in PS lubricity effects in the two tests was significant. If this is due to the characteristics of the specific fuel, then you might find that using a particular additive is not providing you the lubricity benefit, the 'insurance', you expect with a particular fuel as delivered from the pump. Further, since fuel suppliers tend to use a particular crude source and additive package for quite some time, if you are consistently using that fuel supplier and that fuel does not respond well to that fuel, this lack of benefit may be a regular pattern for you.

I find Power Services' comments and those of Innospec consistent; the first that different fuels respond differently to an additive and the latter that the additive they provide to Conoco are based on regular monitoring of the fuel. To really know what fuel lubricity, or any of the other important fuel properties, you end up with after treating pump fuel with an additive, you would have to test.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Moto-
you do understand that the Spicer test was done on 'untreated' fuel- i.e. fuel that had NO additives applied at the distribution terminal? I strongly believe that it would have been more helpful to have data on fuel that is treated like any other shipment from the terminal, and then subsequent additive aftermarket treatment applied. This would have been a real life test and would have given us data that would be applicable to us, for precisely the reasons you have given- the fact that we don't know how the 'aftermarket' additives would react with those added at the terminal.

So the problem remains that we don't have much data reflecting this real world use of additives. Besides the data that PS sent me in (post #1) and the FPPF 'data' in their marketing literature, we don't have very much other current data (or claims). We really don't know how much additives do help, which is unfortunate. That's why my first choice is biodiesel ;)

Anyways- thanks for adding to the thread and keeping it mature :)

MotoWPK

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
tditom -
Yes, I am aware that the Spicer report is on untreated ULSD, as were some of the PS test results (which also contained some using treated ULSD).

I agree that additive results on treated fuel would be more useful. While some of the discussion has been on using additives to provide protection in case one should come across untreated ULSD, I expect this is an extremely unlikely possibility. I expect the norm for ULSD treating is a process as controlled as the other aspects of producing ULSD. This does not mean it is impossible to come across untreated ULSD, just that it is unlikely. On the other hand, coming across treated ULSD happens all the time (we hope!).

As both the Spicer report and PS tests included results on untreated ULSD, one can make a comparison. Further, the comments on the comparative results I received from PS did not make a distinction on the response of fuel to an additive between treated and untreated.

While the Spicer report provided some information on the effect of using an additive on untreated fuel, it would have been more useful if it had been based on a few or several different fuel samples. It would have been even more useful if it had included results on several samples of treated ULSD so as to provide data on how additives interact with those in the fuel as delivered from the pump. This seems to remain a significant unknown and leaves the ultimate effect of using additives in question.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
That's a scary thought... sometimes when I use PS it works and sometimes it doesn't??? Depending on where I purchase diesel fuel from? So PS works when I get diesel from the Shell station, but it doesn't when I am broke and decide to buy the cheap diesel from Wal-Mart's Murphy's? OR maybe it works when I buy fuel at the Texaco station, but not at Exxon. Perhaps PS works when I buy fuel from Hess on Thursdays, but when I get fuel on Sunday morning at the Duke & Dutchess it doesn't work. BUT.... when I go to Sheetz and get my diesel, I know my PS works cuz Sheetz has all that yummy food and drink inside to go with that good diesel I just purchased! :D

Who here has a younger sibling in college majoring in chemistry AND who can do his grad work on the beneficial properties of diesel fuel additives so we can find out once and for all what these magic potions really do for our cars. Until then, as someone put it... the debate goes on.