My new CCV system...Version 3.0

Tisey06

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI, Golf 99.5 TDI
I finally Got the poly filter,and the braided hose, It's has been hard for me to get the 90 degrees elbows, I am looking for 2 - 1 inch elbows, Does anyone know where they sell these elbows?. For people that have installed this set up, Is it stopping all the oil going through the air intake? nice day to all of you.

fricker3

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 and 2001 Jetta, 2002 New Beetle
I got my elbows at the local Ace Hardware Store, not sure if Ace is in CA?

It seems to have stopped any flow of oil for me, on both cars.

Eric

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
Will aluminum screen and "scrubby" material hold up in this application?
I have some of each and want to use it in my PVC fitting set-up, but don't know if it's compatible with the diesel fumes/gases in this application.

Is it safe to use as CCV filter material?

DieselDrink

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI 1.9L
CAD: I'm not sure what material the houeshold scurbby material I have in my CCV is made of. Nor am I sure what material the wire mesh that came with the filter is made of. I'm assuming either of them could be aluminum. I wouldn't think you'd have any problems with that.

The CCV gas vapour just passes through it, and any oil in the vapour will get the chance to condense and stay behind. Hot gasses on aluminum material shouldn't be a problem would they?

I think you're safe.

DBCFR

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2004 Golf TDI
Full and frozen is the verdict.
I would not reccomend anybody in a winter climate run this unless prepared to clean it every day.
Works great in the warm months.
If there was a way to separate the water and have it drain off to ground it would be perfect.

Cheers

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
DBCFR said:
Full and frozen is the verdict.
I would not reccomend anybody in a winter climate run this unless prepared to clean it every day.
Works great in the warm months.
If there was a way to separate the water and have it drain off to ground it would be perfect.

Cheers
What one are you running that froze up? A store bought strainer, or homemade, or ?

DBCFR

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2004 Golf TDI
CADtechTDi said:
What one are you running that froze up? A store bought strainer, or homemade, or ?
The Princess Auto one with stock filter.

The one on my Golf PD does not freez up due to there is only ever a small amount of water in it.

The one in my jetta can fill up with water in about a week. We have had a week of -20 at night and it freezes solid by morning.

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
That's what I am running too, with a stainless scrubber pad inside. TO be honest, I haven't tried to open it while its been cold out, but if its blocked, its not causing a problem.

Blackknight

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I'm thinking about doing this mod as well, anybody had problems with it freezing? The last thing I want is to get stuck somewhere again.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
West Marine had the aforementioned Depco, I ended up with a Shurflo strainer though, it seemed more robust. P/N is 253-120-01.

http://www.shurflo.com/pages/Marine/marine_product_sum/marine_sum_docs/water_sys_access/raw_water_strain.html

EDIT: Update. I took this off and returned to stock when I installed an oil bypass filter due to space constraints. Installed it on our diesel Liberty. Took it off that. Reason: On both vehicles it seemed to cause too much restriction and cause oil consumption to increase. My guess is oil seals in turbo. Shurflo does make a variety of these strainers in larger sizes than I used. That said, if I were going to reinstall CCV filters on either vehicle they would be purpose-built units.

Last edited:

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
I just installed this one today! It was only $26 for the filter/can and a few for the rest. I don't even think ill need the scrubbie because the filter that came in the can is a very fine metal mesh that is sealed at both ends so the air is forced thru the mesh. I think ill just have to check it every so often to make sure its not clogged. but it even has a water let out valve in the bottom :)

Berniem

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 BEW-Jetta-My son 03ALH
ccv

Guys be sure to keep your hoses short. The longer lengths seemed to really condense a lot of mosture for me in the cold weather. I changed mine to the growler design & insulated my hoses which I was able to keep short.

Jettalong

TDI
1999 jetta tdi
How much pressure would be in the line from the ccv to the strainer? How much pressue would develop in the line if the strainer froze? I would like to do this mod but am worried about freeze up during cold weather. I was thinking that if a t was istalled in the line before and after the strainer and a check valve placed in the line, it would open at 10-15 psi if the strainer froze. This would work as long as the system didnt produce more than say 10 psi under normal circumstances. Any thoughts?

jetta99tdi

TDI
99 Jetta
i've been following this ccv mod since i became a member, and i just have one question about the "scrubbie". does it go inside the mesh filter on the tractor supply type filter?

DieselDrink

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI 1.9L
jetta99tdi said:
i've been following this ccv mod since i became a member, and i just have one question about the "scrubbie". does it go inside the mesh filter on the tractor supply type filter?
It goes inside. I had the same question when I installed my CCV mod!

By the way: Just a note, from what i understand and know, you may not want to "shove" too much of the scrubbie pad stuff in there. More scrubbie may block/filter more oil from going through, BUT from what I understand the down side there could be that you block up the airflow too much, and you don't want the pressure to build back on where those gases are coming from. That would not be good. This builds back pressure on the crank case.

I had scrubbie in my CCV filter, and I removed some to only have a little to help filter the oil. But hopefully I still have pressure release from the crank case. I'm now going to the bigger farm strainer and may put only a bit of scrubbie in or not much at all.

Could someone correct me if I'm wrong in the above thinking. Or confirm.

jetta99tdi

TDI
99 Jetta
maybe the way to go is like the big trucks i work on all day long, and vent it into the air.?? but how would u go about pluging the hole in the intake and the heater ,can it be upluged w/o throwing a code?

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
I had some freezing issues this year, but I think it was the "puck" on top of the valve cover that stuck somehow. Made for an interesting smoke show.

mechman600

TDI
Not yet
I am a diesel mechanic, so I know a bit about diesel crankcase breather systems. Until 2007, all truck diesels simply vented the breather to the atmostphere. That's quite ridiculous, when you think about it....EPA focused so hard on tailpipe emissions yet chose to ingore the oily mess left on the ground under every single truck. However, in 2007, every manufacturer was required to install coelescent breather filters on their engines. Small engines (below 300 HP or so) required CCV, which simply routes gasses to the turbo inlet much like our TDIs. Larger engines still retain the open ventilation, but with the addition of this filter.
The filter has a breather inlet, outlet, and an oil outlet which goes back to the sump (oil pan). The filter assembly itself is approx 10" high, 8" wide, 3" thick, and is good for a 600HP diesel engine for 60,000 miles. From what I have seen, these filters do a remarkeable job of not letting any oil get through. They have a replaceable filter element that causes the oil vapor to liquify and split apart from the gasses, allowing the oil to drain back to the engine.
Now for the point. I am quite sure that these units are readily available for smaller applications, aka TDIs. They would work sweet, but probably at a slightly higher cost. There would be absolutely no freezing or plugging up to worry about, as long as you changed the filter every 4 oil changes, which is what the interval for HD engine is.

James

Last edited:

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen 2015 Blue Silk
I guess I've missed something here. I've got a Shurflo on order but don't understand the purpose of putting the scrubbie in the middle. You've already go the mesh and a scrubbie sitting there doesn't sound like it would really do anything. If it's not somehow attached around its edges but just stuffed in there then what's to prevent fluids from going around it instead of through it? I Just got my TDI back from a belt change and intake cleaning this afternoon, and it does run noticeably faster now. It has 163k with its first cleaning. They said it wasn't that bad, but obviously anything cutting airflow hurts, as my newly improved performance shows.

clcollins

TDI
Audi A3 TDI Sport Quattro
Ok, I’m a novice in the world of TDI tuning so don’t go nuts if I write something that is stupidly wrong.

I’ve read many if not all the posts about crankcase breather problems and solutions.

As I understand it the crank case breather pipe is to vent hot gases from the head of the engine, this gas is understandably carrying an amount of engine oil.

To reduce emissions this is fed into the air intake pipe. To me this is insanity, you have nice filtered air going to your engine but just before it gets there it’s mixed with hot crankcase gases, raising the air temperature to the intake and just for good measure let’s throw in some hot oil particles also.

Bottom line is you don’t want either of these things entering your engine, right? Lower intake air temp is good; no oil to clog up your intake is good, right?

My thought is to, as some have done/suggested on here, have a hose from the CCV to the base of the engine. The problem with this is that I don’t like the thought of dropping oil indiscriminately and more importantly I don’t like the thought of having an ‘open’ hose that leads directly to the engine.

What I picture in my mind is a two chamber ‘filter’ the first chamber retaining the oil for manual disposal, the second chamber containing the engine gases that are vented to the atmosphere by an automatic air valve (something like those pictured on this web page: www.advantay.co.uk/cat041.asp)

……and to be a little bit more specific the container that all this would all occur in would be glass so that you can see when it’s time to empty the oil! (something like the mid left picture on the web page: [URL="http://www.advantay.co.uk/cat021.asp"]www.advantay.co.uk/cat021.asp[/URL])

This is the point where someone tells me this already exists!

EDIT: have been thinking some more (damn that’s twice in one day, so tired now). Wouldn’t it be necessary to condense the air/oil emission from the crankcase venting the air to the atmosphere?

Last edited:

FLOCO

TDI
04 BORA VARIANT TDI PD
Hi Wingnut,
After going through almost all CCV threads on the forum and trying to find a water drainer, I finally decided to check it with you. (it is been a month and half, I am frustrated as I can not find any suitable one. Tried for days running to CT, H-depot, H-hardware, princessauto and few more places)

Did you get the black water drainer you had on your post 09-02-06 in GTA? Could you please pass me some info where I can purchase one?

I would like to install one on my TDI PD. Appreciate your feedback and thoughts on installation on TDI PD.

I have gone many of your posts and you are THE TDI man!! great work!!!Keep it up. THX!

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I got mine from TSC (Tractor Supply Company) in Bowmanville. But I have seen them in Princess Auto too.

But your best bet is to contact Mike aka TheTDIWagonGuy. He makes a CCV filter system that has everything you need for an easy install.

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
The ALH engines already have a scrubber built into the valve cover. It can build up with goo to the point of being solid and then it throws more mist into the intake. It is servicable but poorly documented.

I was going through a quart in 1500 miles with most of it ending up in the IC. Since overhauling the engine in 2007 and cleaning this scrubber, oil consumption is nil. I also added extra packing as the pads didn't fill the void space. Used stainless steel scrub pad, compressed to fit.

adamant628

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS
Can someone enlighten me on the dangers of not having something like this. Also, are there any performance benefits for adding a system like this? I have a 2005 PD, so I'm not sure I need it anyway.