Motive brake fluid change (caution 3MB of pics)

poor1

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
Not applicable for all model years... the sequence for the Mk20 and Mk60 ABS controllers are reversed... and your method left out the bleeding of the clutch circuit...

Y.
Could you enlarge on that and identify the years please

MK20 & MK60 do not mean anything to me

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
On the U.S. models of the A4 chassis, the changeover from the Mk20 to the Mk60 ABS controllers took place some time during the 2001 model year production.

Easy way to tell them apart: In the Mk20, the round cylinder part of the ABS unit is vertical... In the Mk60, the round cylinder is horizontal...

On the Mk20 the sequence is: clutch, RR, LR, RF, LF.
On the Mk60 the sequence is: clutch, LF, RF, LR, RR.

Pressure must not exceed 1 Bar (14 p/s.i.)

On the U.S. models of the B5.5 (2004-5 Passats), the sequence is RR, LR, RF, LF, and the pressure should be at least 2 Bar (28 p/s.i.)

I have no idea what other country's models require...

Y.

poor1

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4
I'm grateful thank you.

28 psi seems very high but I have no idea of the operational pressures when operating the brakes.

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
since the last post is only a few months old, I'll post this question here and see what kind of response..

I hooked up my motive and it won't pressurize. even tried tightening the top with a wrench a bit. Still won't and leaks out from underneath the adapter cap.

Hooked it up to our other tdi, and it pressurized just fine.

now, i did not remove the filter before screwing on the cap. Didn't seem to matter on the other car.

So, I presume there is a crack in my reservoir, correct? anybody have some notion of how to replace it? Looks messy...

Crispy222

TDI
'01 Golf 4dr 5sp
since the last post is only a few months old, I'll post this question here and see what kind of response..

I hooked up my motive and it won't pressurize. even tried tightening the top with a wrench a bit. Still won't and leaks out from underneath the adapter cap.

Hooked it up to our other tdi, and it pressurized just fine.

now, i did not remove the filter before screwing on the cap. Didn't seem to matter on the other car.

So, I presume there is a crack in my reservoir, correct? anybody have some notion of how to replace it? Looks messy...
I have the same issue. Using the Motive bleeder and the aluminum screw on adaptor. Works great on many other vehicles, MKIVs, B5, B6, MKV. Just an issue with one MKIV TDI. Thinking about replacing the whole reservoir next time its apart.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I think this one is more useful. The cap fits VW, the universal fits anything else.
I think the Amazon one comes with a 45mm adapter which would work for our vehicles. Also, with the addition of fluid in the reservoir, you don't have to worry about the fluid running dry in the reservoir which we know is a problem in these cars. Either will work though. I'll be looking to purchase that Amazon one for the next go around.

Maybe one could modify/add a draw straw to the Motive one to allow it to be filled with fluid? Also nice that there is a pressure readout so you don't run the risk of over pressurizing the system!