2005 Passat Wagon 2.0 TDI -Starting Issues

SoCATDI

TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS Wagon, 2003 Golf TDI, 1998 Jetta TDI sadly totaled by teen driver, 2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI
The Passat is back on the road after the Head Gasket was replaced. I threw on a new turbo I had purchased years ago. And thought she was good to go. Local VW dealer did the work for many reasons including my poor eye sight. Alas, not is all good shall we say. The car is being used by my daughter and it keeps letting her down stranded several times. It is a fuel supply issue I think. The fuel pump was replaced and the Passat refused to start again after 7 cycles. Towed back to the dealership again. What do you guys think? You have given me such good help in the past, the dealer is obviously stumped!!!
Is there a relay or solenoid that shuts off the fuel to stop the engine?
Is there also a relay or solenoid that allows fuel to pass to the engine on
start up?
Or are there endless options on this failure to start problem?
socal in need of help!!!!!!!!

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
Is it not starting after sitting over night or while warm?

If over night possibly a fuel pump or tandem pump issue

If warm a relay issue, particularly fuel pump or ecu relay.

When she decides shes not going to start, with the key in the on position, is the check engine light on?

SoCATDI

TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS Wagon, 2003 Golf TDI, 1998 Jetta TDI sadly totaled by teen driver, 2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI
PickleRick---The car will not start when cold. The fuel pump has been replaced. The engine light is usually on due to an EGR issue. It has always run well in the past with the light one. so ca thanks for all your help!

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
There are 2 fuel pumps on the car. One that feeds to the motor that is in the tank. It is electric and feeds about 5 psi.

It is easy to check to see if its working, pull the inlet to the fuel filter and turn key on, you should see a stream of fuel.

If this isn't feeding up to the motor it will be hard to start as the tandem pump isn't meant to draw fuel all the way from the tank.

The next fuel pump is the high pressure pump, the tandem pump. If it's not generating enough pressure then the car will be hard, if not impossible, to start.

Im not sure if fuel pump pressue can be read on a vcds.

SoCATDI

TDI
PickleRick --- 2 pumps is news to me. The one in the tank I knew about. Where is the other one located? Thanks again. SoCa

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
The other runs off the cam. It's at the back of the motor. This is the high pressure pump. Im running one of the 175 dollar China knock offs from ebay on mine, been going good for 1.5 years or so. I didnt replace mine for a running issue, mine was leaking oil.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
There is a motorized flap thingy that shuts off the air flow when stopping the car. Perhaps it is faulty. Sorry, don:t remember the name of the thing.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
What do you mean the dealer is stumped? They can't diagnose the problem? If they really can't, take to another VW specialty shop and have them look at it. Whatever you do, don't request anyone to start randomly start changing parts without a proper diagnosis.

mechanist

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat silver like the rest, 2005 B5.5 in dirty black, 2015 Passat Highline auto white.
check thermostatic t on top of fuel filter that is held in with a clip. leaks air when not under pressure, fuel runs back, filter will have air in it. Car will start terrible then, pd's don't get rid of air very well.