In need of great help!

JvstJo

TDI
2004 VW Golf GLS TDI
Hey guys so yes I’m new to this whole forum thing I’ve always visited these and learned a lot from them on all of my cars I have owned but I have recently just ran into a problem. So anyway I drive a 2004 VW Golf GLS TDI Manual. One night I was on my way home and I shifted from 1st to 2nd out of a turn and noticed my car losing a bit of power so tried to shift into 3rd and my car just stalled out on me. Pulled over on the side tried to crank my car over multiple times and it did not want to start. Towed my car home took my battery in to autozone found out battery was completely dead did not hold charge so I bought a new one. Tried to crank again and found that there was a loud screeching sound after I would turn it over and let off the turn. Put my van on the starter while someone cranked it and felt like the starter was not disengaging. Bought a new one put it in now the starter does not make that sound. Sounds like it wants to turn but no fire. I checked fuel pressure and it’s reading 10 PSI and I can hear that pump turn on. I did have a code pop up P0671 which is cylinder one glow plug circuit. But I’m sure that wouldn’t cause the car to not start at all correct? I recently also changed the CPS and Maf. So I just don’t know. Can anyone help me at all? Thank you so very much in advance ??

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Pull the timing belt cover and check the belt. Rotate the engine from the crank bolt only with a 19mm 12 point socket clockwise. You’re looking for stripped teeth on the belt.

If the cps was cheap aftermarket chinese garbage that could also explain your no start issue.

JvstJo

TDI
2004 VW Golf GLS TDI
Alright I will for sure try that first thing after work tomorrow. I also know it could possibly be the tandem pump I’m just going to pull that off and see if the wheel free spins. If it does then that could be it also but I’ll check the belt first. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know anything will help

JvstJo

TDI
2004 VW Golf GLS TDI
I also bought the cps from Autozone. But I did have my dipstick pop out and got oil all over it. Maybe I should pull that and check.

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
Remember if you have too much trouble you have a TDI guru near you in Belton Mo. The place is called Cool Air Auto he is also a member on this board and has a few YouTube videos as well. Good luck!

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
Sign on his shop says Cool Air Auto, also comes right up in Google as that. You are correct that the website is kansascitytdi.com though...

JvstJo

TDI
2004 VW Golf GLS TDI
Alright guys! I have news. So I ended up checking my timing belt like someone mentioned and yes my timing belt was missing 5-8 teeth. Got that changed sounded better trying to crank over but still does not want to start. I have put almost 800$ into this and don’t want to spent a crazy amount more. I’m getting very frustrated so I’m thinking of just taking it to the TDI guy located in Belton but the thing is I don’t want to pay stupid amounts you know. Took it to another guy says he can’t find out what’s wrong also I’m scared I might have bent valves so idk what to do.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If you’re missing 5-8 teeth the chances are pretty good that you’ve had some valve piston interaction. That interaction looks like this.

You won’t be able to tell till you pull the head.

teitel39

TDI
2004 golf GL 4dr, 5spd, BEW
I just completed my project similar sitch, long story short, I pulled the head it was pretty nice rebuildable shape, ordered new TRW exhaust valves, they weren't bent but had made piston contact{lightly} the cam and lifters were hosed, 226k. so I installed the colt stage 2 cam kit, the ID parts high miles T belt kit. I had a shop in Lancaster, Ohio do my valve guides and all the cylinder head work, Adrenaline automotive they came highly recommended many Harley / Jap bike shops, TDI peeps use these guys. I spent about $1600. on mine. Runs fantastic couldn't be happier, I been driving it on a limited winter basis(no frost heater or garage). I had worked on and had factory training on the Rabbit diesels. a BEW isn't something you want to rush your first go round but all went well. Used the Bently manu & the great forum threads here to clarify anydoubts that I had.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So what will this now mean? If this was the case when I pull the head off

If you’ve had contact you’ll need to rebuild the head. If you just slap a belt on it and get it running, it will drop a valve into one of the cylinders sometime in the next 5k miles. That will completely ruin your engine.

Frank06 is the man you need to get ahold of.

JvstJo

TDI
2004 VW Golf GLS TDI
I have a brand new cam in mine. Haven’t had any valve or piston work done. I’ll go ahead and pull my head and see what kind of damage has been done. But if the valves have made contact with my pistons would that cause a no start? Still learning a lot here. Sorry if it’s a hassle I also really appreciate everything y’all are doing to help me!

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
If you had a bunch of teeth stripped off the TB then it's almost certain that there is (exhaust) valve damage and/or lifters. Valve damage itself may not be the cause of the no start but the extent of the lifter damage and the fact that the engine has to be severely out of time should cause a no start.
Why would you want to start/run it in its current damaged state anyways?? Pull the valve cover and do a very intense look over. Cracked/bulged lifters? Cam scoring? Valve damage won't really be apparent because with the straight up orientation of the valves they don't "bend" they get "compressed".
Fixing it right won't be cheap. Slap a new belt on and it may run-for a while until the valve stems break and fall into the cylinder. Game over. If you don't think it's worth $1500 repair (with you doing the removal/reinstall) sell it as it is.
Franko6 is "the" go to head repair guy.