I think my heater core is leaking :(

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
What I've done to hold broken plastic in place is to use a soldering iron and with the tip push pieces of paper clip into the plastic. It works surprisingly well.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I've melted plastic pieces together with a soldering pencil.
A few got sanded with rough paper and JB Weld on top.
Allow plenty of time for it to harden.

ericas_beetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle
I was able to install one of the new hoses from ID but they must have thought I had a Jetta and sent me an intercooler hose with just a single hose barb on the connector. Beetle has two barbs.

I could just get the right connector for it or swap the old connector onto the new hose and use the new o-ring from this one. But...as I feel around in back, the clamp grabs on the intercooler end are pointed upward at the large plastic tube that wraps over the top of it. So there is no way to remove it without removing that pipe. How much would need to be disassembled to get that pipe out so the hose could be changed? I'm getting that mission creep feeling.

I suspect it's the original hose though and clearly lacks the metal sheath that the new one has, I assume to protect it from oil or maybe heat but that would be weird.

ericas_beetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle
Great ideas for fixing broken plastic. I've already globbed JB onto it but might add some clip wire along the sides with more JB for extra strength. Given how far back it is, it would not be good for it to snap again.

ericas_beetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle
My new Mk4 wheel arrived today, score at 100 bucks! It came with a spring about 1" X 1" Is this some kind of supplemental horn spring? I don't remember one going sproing when the airbag came off. I assumed the spring clips that retain the bag also keep the thing away from the horn contact. Was this other round spring supposed to be in there and it was omitted by a previous mechanic?

ericas_beetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle
I just can't catch a break on this job. I thought I got lucky when I found both the broken off piece of plastic and the unobtanium clip, but no. The leading edge of the post was broken off, where I assume the clip is meant to latch on. I glued it back on the only way it made sense and it fit perfectly with the broken edges. Now that it's dry I'm trying to attach it but there is no way to do it.

The other two cable clips look identical to this one, and on the non-snap end there is an obvious slot where the other end of the clip tucks under. There is no slot on this post (It's the one for footwell heat). No, I did not glue over the slot. It's simply not there.

Anyone know what this was supposed to look like? Am I missing another piece of plastic? Or maybe a different clip? I was half wondering whether it was actually meant to be clipped on the same riser where the cable next to it is clipped and the plastic might have broken off.

Don't make fun of my JB weld. it's meant to be functional, not art class :p

Last edited:

tjsean0308

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV wagon 5spd graphite blue
Looks like most of my art classes. But yes that metal clip should be attached on both sides to secure the cable sheath.

ericas_beetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle
I guess I didn't make enough photos. I seem to have one pigtail left over. It's a milky white connector that comes out of the same harness as the four blocks which connect to the heated seats, hazard and rear defrost switches. Could there be an extra one? There is a single blanking plate on that lower control panel. I'm not sure what other option might go there?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
That looks like for the 12v outlet

ericas_beetle

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle
It's a car again! As threatened I set a new record, 30+ hours. But it's much better than before. It just took two cans of paint, two packages of JB Weld, 1/3 pack of Killmat, half a roll of Teflon tape, a bunch of weather strip and some felt, a new steering wheel, heater core, hoses, and connectors and a lot of cussing. No squeaks, creaks or rattles. :D

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
You can be proud. It almost always takes more time first time around.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Nice job !!��