What did you do to your MKIV today?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Nice job on the wash and wax!

We have dirt roads; I could not even make it to the first stop sign without collecting a layer... :)
cheers,
Douglas
Haha, I totally sympathize. My car looked fairly decent coming back from California, until I got onto my driveway/private street, which is a mix of chip seal and caliche.

There's almost no point when I wash up the JSW before I do Uber for the weekend, because the driveway just kills it.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Yep, one of my favorite OEM-ish 17's. I looked for a set over the years and only found $200 beat to heck sets, or $800 polished to a glass finish "show" sets. Neither worked for me.
Can't recall if any OEM VAG wheels are forged ... those would be high on the list as well.

Is that the normal side fender marker? Looks like it might be smoked??

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Yep, one of my favorite OEM-ish 17's. I looked for a set over the years and only found $200 beat to heck sets, or $800 polished to a glass finish "show" sets. Neither worked for me.
Can't recall if any OEM VAG wheels are forged ... those would be high on the list as well.

Is that the normal side fender marker? Looks like it might be smoked??
Wait - this are 17" rims? Now I'm jealous. So you could theoretically put on 225 45R17 on there?

As for what I did today - talked to @IndigoBlueWagon when I needed to order more parts. Then, swapped my old EDC15 (which has my Malone Stage 4 on it). Also finished hanging the driver's side B8/Neuspeed sport spring/VR6 combo, and bled the brakes. I also definitely need a new subframe, thanks to dumb f**ks at the dealer who think an impact is the same thing as a torque wrench, but that's on order; @IndigoBlueWagon is supplying the bolts, and FCPEuro is supplying the subframe.

Got my intake and exhaust manifold gaskets, so I might start removing the intake and turbo tomorrow if I have time.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Yes, that is an OEM VAG smoked side marker, still available.

The Fat Fives are forged, 17x7.5 and weigh 23.7 pounds. The wagon feels more planted at highway speeds with the Fat Fives but they did have a negative affect on fuel economy.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Yes, that is an OEM VAG smoked side marker, still available.
My dark blue wagon had aftermarket smoked (fender & bumper) side markers, I switched to orange ones just to change the look. The PO had tried to "black out" most everything ... wasn't my style.

The Fat Fives are forged, 17x7.5 and weigh 23.7 pounds. The wagon feels more planted at highway speeds with the Fat Fives but they did have a negative affect on fuel economy.
I couldn't recall if they were forged and pkhoury's question above had me doubting (myself) that they were 17's ... It's been too long or too many OEM wheels. If I recall correctly, there's no 18" OEM VAG forged options for the 5x100, which confused me when I was researching.

Good looking wagon, for sure.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I didn't realize any VW/Audi OE wheels were forged. I'm sure that makes them lighter, but 24 lbs. is still pretty heavy. I have a set of Motegi Traklites, 16x7s, that weigh 12 lbs. I'm not sure how strong they are, however, I've never used them on the street.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I didn't realize any VW/Audi OE wheels were forged. I'm sure that makes them lighter, but 24 lbs. is still pretty heavy. I have a set of Motegi Traklites, 16x7s, that weigh 12 lbs. I'm not sure how strong they are, however, I've never used them on the street.
yeah. I wish they were lighter. I also wish Neuspeed would release their 17” wheel with a 5x100 bolt pattern, because those are light and have a concentric fitting. Every now and then I shop around for a lighter wheel but I haven’t found any that I like.

Here are the Fat Fives, sitting on a bathroom scale, weighed when I had new tires installed:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I just dug out my old Kosei K1s and put new tires on them for the summer. They're 15s, but the wheels weigh 13 lbs.

Some people don't like the look but they've grown on me. And I can feel the lighter weight in the steering. They're 7" wide and I run 215/60s on them so I have a larger contact patch than I did with the 195s.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Those are nice.
Bigger brakes up front on my gal means I can’t go back to 15s and I understand some 16s don’t fit.
My longbeaches look good though.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Replaced the battery in the wagon, was having some sluggish starts cold. Load test showed its just barely passing.

Repurposed the battery into my samurai lol hard cranks all day there now.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Installed a new hood opener gas strut on my sons car.

leafs

Veteran Member
TDI
alh
Rear passenger wheel bearing today. Tomorrow shock mounts and accessory belt. 20 years old she keeps on chuggin.

WanderTDI

TDI
2002 ALH Jetta
I replaced my shifter boot and grip. After almost 20 years the black on the boot had completely flaked off. It's just a simple one from Amazon, but it sure makes a difference. Next will be changing out the suspension. I've just been waiting for it to warm up a little.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
What did I do... felt like pulling off my intake manifold in the Golf. That turned into pulling the turbo as well. Have the new turbo hung, and all 8 nuts torqued to 18 ft lbs. Got my oil lines done, and I keep forgetting to order cap bolts for the intake manifold, so that'll get installed at a later date.

pahHONEix

TDI
'03 Jetta GLS TDI
Finally got my new control arms, tie rods, front coilovers, skid plate, rear springs and rear shocks (using this ECS kit) installed on my Jetta. Dialing in (and learning!) how to set the ride height took a bit and I don't even want to think about how many times I've jacked up and then lowered my car in the last few days. :oops: BUT I've finally got everything set up and from the 15 miles I've put on it, it's like driving a completely new car. Can't wait to take it on my work commute this afternoon!

I've got a Neuspeed rear sway bar waiting to get installed next week and a front sway bar arriving next month, too!

Also, I've been using these jack stands for the first time, they've been awesome.

pahHONEix

TDI
'03 Jetta GLS TDI
Don't forget to take it in for a 4 wheel alignment once it's all sorted.
Yup, got an alignment done on it yesterday as soon as it was drivable and I’ve got another one scheduled in a few weeks to make sure everything’s still kosher after all the springy bits have settled.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Developed a leak at the low end of the coolant hose that runs from the coolant bowl down to the block, just to starboard of the oil filter housing. Oil and stray diesel after 20 years had swelled and weakened the rubber to the point where it sprung a leak. I was warned by the little red flag idiot light in the dash cluster, thankfully caught it before the car overheated.

Had my trusted guru and sidekick instal same, though then I had to go back over the pipe and zip tie the various shields that had to be cut off from the power steering pump line that it runs alongside. The factory pipe from the dealer was $115, ouch! But fit it did, lot of funky bends. Should be good for another 20, and a lesson in the importance of cleaning up oil and diesel off the rubber hoses. After that was buttoned up, I rotated the tires while it was still on the lift.

Gotta' get a new set of my Generals, on sale at the moment at Tire Rack with a factory rebate, and the depot in Delaware is close enough that I'll p/u for an additional saving. Still got a bit of life left on the set on the car, but I'm getting close to the wear bars. They got me through last winter, but they won't last until the next. Rear axle bushings and a TB are next for maintenance, got parts in hand for those.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
IBW,
Just got a notification that you had posted here about the "dealer only" coolant pipe. Lol, can't seem to find it, but thnx for the condolence. My guru found a used one in Germany,,,,,, but of course we need it now. And I got an education on the problems with parts, availability, problems with numbers, etc etc. Something I'm sure you deal with all day every day. Shipping, returns, yada yada,,,,,,,,,, It's complicated!

Hey, I was happy to get the right pipe, albeit stupid expensive. Haven't spent much on the car last couple years actually.
And I appreciate how ez you make it for me, and other TDI owners. I groaned about the pipe, a gallon of coolant, but only an hour of labor, and paid cash on the spot and call myself lucky that I've got a guru who lets me watch, and "help". And is willing to explain what's going on.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I deleted the post because I wasn't certain the one you needed was the one that the aftermarket no longer offers. But yes, I do deal with product delays and shortages every day. This past year has been a little hellish in that regard, and it's not going to get better for a while. Also, some of the cars we support, including MKIVs, are getting old and parts are going obsolete, which doesn't help. But I suppose it does provide me with job security. ;)

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
IBW - may I suggest that you track what products are becoming impossible to find and doing focused sales on those before they really do disappear forever? Just s thought...

car related - uh, drove her. I have a host of things to do when the weather warms up. I have noticed that throughout the new turbo and WOT runs I’ve had zero clutch slippage. Yay!

Oh and the new amp continues to amaze and astonish. It is just that good. Better than any soundstream or a.d.s. And etc.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
IBW - may I suggest that you track what products are becoming impossible to find and doing focused sales on those before they really do disappear forever? Just s thought..
Problem is that we find out when we re-order and are told the product is gone. We don't get any warning.

Last edited:

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Brothers car which is Compu_85's old car.
AC compressor (Denso)
Oil change (T6 and Mann)
Rear pads and rotors (Zimmermann and Haltech)
DSP Blend Door Foam Fix (reassembly tomorrow)
New shift boot and knob (OEM, tomorrow)

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
What did you use to plug the holes?

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Problem is that we find out when we re-order and are told the product is gone. We don't get any warning.
Hi

Speaking of things disappearing and being hard to find ....

Are there any good sources for upgraded pipes ( upper and lower) going to and from the smic ?

I've been having a hard time finding anything along those lines .... I think I saw some old posts where you guys used to carry the upper and lowers?

Thanks
Andrew

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Had some hissing in the cabin, so I replaced master cylinder and booster (doubt the mc was still good...), and bled the whole system. Rear brakes were overhearing after that, so I reset one caliper, but the other wouldn't budge, so I put another one on. Brakes feel much better and the car safer to drive. No more sinking pedal during hard braking!

What I've learned from this job is that pressure bleeders are overrated, and that I'll never do another brake flush without my fluid extractor, which made this job 100% mess free.