Low budget manual 5-speed swap.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Looks like I'll be hitting the junkyard again. Called the dealer and the housing is $20 and the wire is $10.

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
06' Jetta TDI dsg, 445,000 miles and counting!
I do have a spare 1.8T flywheel that I can measure if anyone needs some data but I don't have another pressure plate.
You have a spare stocker? as in the stock dual mass flywheel? What Chris (and the rest of us) needs is the measurements for the Valeo single mass flywheel. I am pretty sure the valeo flywheel is unique to valeo, therefore measurements taken from another brand or style flywheel would not translate over. :(

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, I have an extra stock dual mass flywheel. The ring Outside Diameter (OD) should be the same as a signle mass flywheel.

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, I have an extra stock dual mass flywheel. The ring Outside Diameter (OD) should be the same as a signle mass flywheel.
You are correct! And that is a measurement that should be useful but Before we stop hijacking this thread i will say that what we are trying to figure out is if there is a viable heavy duty pressure plate that will work with the valeo brand 1.8t flywheel or if the tdi valeo pressure plate from europe will fit. You cannot take a stock pressure plate that works with your stock dual mass and expect it to work with the valeo single mass. The mounting holes may be in different locations, the offset of the disc on the valeo may be /(is) different, ect. I know it wasn't clear what measurements were needed but the outside diameter is only one of them. We will need a valeo unit for the more specific measurements that are needed.

Back to the topic at hand.

Last edited:

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Tell me what dimensions you want from the Valeo SMF kit and I can get them.

My stock 240DMF will not hold 27PSI. It is barely ok at 22PSI. So I can't image the 228 will hold much more than 20 for very long.

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Pasatt TDI , 2008 Mercdes E-320 Bluetec, 1983 300D mercedes (Sold :-(
Uber, first off sorry for sidetracking the thread and thanks for your input on this.

We're trying to find a suitable play between clutch disc modification and pressure plate to stop slippage.
A number of people have used the Valeo kit for the 1.8T with some success and a few have had slippage after short period, namely newlite.

We are trying to determine if the valeo kit from Europe for the 1.9 TDI will work with the valeo stateside 1.8T flywheel.
Here is a link to what looks like a European Rockauto of sorts. Fairly decent price including shipping stateside for clutch, pressure plate and bearing ($376)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Valeo-3-Piece-Clutch-Kit-Inc-Bearing-VW-PASSAT-1-9-TDI-4MOTION-1-9-TDI-/331069621275?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Cars+Year%3A2004%7CCar+Make%3AVW%7CModel%3APassat&hash=item4d1549841b#vi-ilComp

The valeo numbers match what darkside has but unsure if its genuine. These guys seem legit and have a number of brick and mortar stores from what I can tell so it may have some merit.

From description,

Description: 3Pc Clutch Kit With Bearing
Diameter 1 [Mm]: 229,5
Diameter 2 [Mm]: 228,6
Extra Information: Service Kit For Kit 4P Kit 3 Pieces (Cover & Plate & Bearing)

Hub Profile: 21,8
Hub Profile: 24,2
Number Of Teeth: 23
Standard: Dbr Without Flywheel

Newlite and I were wondering if this will be compatible with 1.8T ringear.

newlitemotorist

Veteran Member
TDI
Last time but I wanted to throw something out there. The reason we wish to make these valeo kits work is because they are the only reasonably priced source that comes with a full weight flywheel. Almost every other high performance kit available for the 1.8t either comes with a lightweight flywheel or is meant to work with a dual mass.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All this 6-speed clutch discussion should be copied over by and Admin to the 6-speed swap thread so it is kept in one thread.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Correct. You might also find the housing on an older 1.8T harness, it was used on the ignition coil driver.
I've got my hands on two 1.8t ignition coil harnesses. An early one with metal clips and the later one that functions kile akk the other all plastic connectors in a VW. I take it the early/metal clip one is what I need?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok I get now. The car I pulled the transmission mount was crushed since I was there last week, otherwise I would have pulled it. I already jacked it up when I pulled the mount, would have been easy to get the conector. I'll do some more hunting before settling for the dealer.

The car is on the road with a temporary tag. Want to put some miles on it as soon as I can.

Alcancia

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2005 Passat wagon
So I'm getting really serious about doing this swap, but can't find a BBG or FHN trans. I can get a DUK though. I believe this is a transmission used in the Audi TDI's in Europe. Searching for information brings up very little. I did my best to figure out how the gear ratios compare and it looks pretty good. Any reason this transmission wouldn't work for a swap into my '05 Passat wagon?

Here's my spreadsheet showing speed differences in each gear at 2000 RPM and RPM in 5th gear at different cruising speeds:

Edit: I should note that I live in the western US and am frequently on roads with 80 MPH speed limits. So the higher mechanical gearing the better, but the DUK looks like it should be within ~70 RPM at that speed. I can live with that for sure.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Keep the speed to an indicated 120 or less and the OPP will not pull you over. Or in rush hour, just blend in with the rest of the commuters in the left lane.

Got about 400km on the car so far. The cruise works even though fine. Next week it will go in for an ECU reflash. All the tuners are on vacation so had to wait a little but at least get to do some shakedown testing.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Found a reverse light connector at the junkyard today. Came off a manual V6. Haven't tried it yet but should be the one. Here what it looks like.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got the reverse lights working. Now trying to re code theABS unit and getting hung up on the steering angle calibration. Can't find the info on how exactly to do it. I logged in and under basic setting, block 001, it shows: Error, Group 001, Not Available. At some point I saw the G85 values in that group but its a hit and miss. I must be missing a step.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok, thanks guys. Will reflash the ECM first. I did recode the Can Gateway to 0006 to re learn the modules.

BioDan

TDI
2000 golf TDI 2002 TDI Jetta 91 1.6 TD Jetta
I am at the same stage but I can not get loged into the modules and I have a Can-Hex Licenced cable it will not accept any log in code I have found yet... getting frustrated at this point. Love your write up it could have saved me a lot of time. I have a 2.8 5 speed Passat as a donor.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I am at the same stage but I can not get loged into the modules and I have a Can-Hex Licenced cable it will not accept any log in code I have found yet... getting frustrated at this point. Love your write up it could have saved me a lot of time. I have a 2.8 5 speed Passat as a donor.
You will not get anywhere until you reprogram the ECU and code it.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Malone is away until the 17th and none of the local tunners can do anything about reflashingte ECU until Malone is back. Is there another tunner that does ECau reflash for a manual swap and is available in Ontario, Canada. I don't want to wait another 10 and having to renew my temporary tags.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I need an Etest and a safety. The check engine light from the lack of ECU reflash won't pass the Etest and the ABS light will not pass the safety inspection. It's very nice of you to offer your ECU but I'm not confortable using someone else's electronic parts. Things can happen and then no one will be happy. I will wait if I need to. Have one more chance of getting a 10 day tag but I need to get the E test and safety done during those 10 days.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So besides Malone, there are no other tunners that can reflash the ECU for a manual conversion in Ontario?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here are some pictures of the reverse light switch installation.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Since Malone was away until the 17th today I’ve contacted the local tuner again and got the ball rolling on getting the ECU reflashed. The temporary tags ran out a week ago Saturday so I’ve been using my weekend car as a daily driver until the ECU is reprogrammed. I need to get emissions testing and road safety inspection done on it before I can plate the car permanently. Most people her didn’t have this problem because they already were driving their cars when the conversion happened. I bought mine as a non runner with the transmission so bad that it wouldn’t even drive into my garage. Let’s see how long with it take for Malone to get back to the local shop.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Contacted the local TDTuning representative as I'm not in a mood to wait anymore. Unless the local Malone vendor gets a hold of Malone before Monday, I'm going to the TDTuning dealer instead.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got a call today from the local tuner. Dropping the car off Sunday night for a reflashing on Monday.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Malone needs to get his act togethet or else he'll keep loosing customers. The tuners are frustrated that he keeps announcing that he'll be out of the office at the drop of a hat. This is no way to treat customers. I'm sure he has his reasons but there should be a way to keep the bussiness going if you are shotting down operations for 3 weeks in this month.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Problem is, the knowledge and expertise that Mark has is not something you can easily put in a textbook or a wiki and have a partner or a delegate manage while you're away. That said, I do agree it may be in Mark's advantage in the long run to slow down a bit and do exactly that to make his business more scalable. The demand is here.