Frost Heater Install - What a pain, and now a leak

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
I'll be soon moving to Alaska and have plans to take my Touareg with me. A Frost Heater seems a good choice to help during the winter. I put off ordering one until it is getting time to ship the vehicle. Today I tackled it, playing contortionist as I'm laying on my back with the front end on ramps. Problems getting the hose loose, eventually have to cut to break free. Not a big deal as it comes out and is being replaced. Twisting this way and that to get the heater installed and the two hoses connected. Then trying to interpret the instructions on how they got the electrical plug through the grill, finally gave up and routed just below the fog light.

Now for the real fun, I've got a coolant leak. Turns out it is the quick connector on the coolant line, and at this point I don't know if my VW dealer knows the o-ring specs or if I have to order the quick connector.

I was hoping to report how well it worked on a 25F morning, but I may not know until I'm up in the Last Frontier.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
ive been tempted for a few years to do this
How cold does it get there? I wasn't able to find reliable data on how well the 3.0L was at starting in cold weather. The 1.6L, 1.9L, and 2.0L I've dealt with I wouldn't chance up there without one.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
ive seen about -35c (-31f) ive never had any tdi not start for me...i have had 1 gel up tho but thats in 15 years....touareg starts at that temp no issues, but for warmer cabin and reduced wear id like to get a frost heater.....my 2011 2.0 tdi never had an issue in 225,000kms and 4 winters i had it...was very impressed with it too

Fourdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Touareg V10 TDI
It also depends on where in Alaska you are going - Ketchican to Juneau / Kodiak shouldn't ever be a problem - no worse than anywhere in the lower 48. Fairbanks and the interior in general is a very different story.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd be in the Anchorage area, but don't know exactly where I'll live and how far it is from work. I don't think the heater will get lots of use, but if it sits a couple of days during a cold snap I'd rather have it than not.

Of course VW doesn't list the o-ring, or the quick connector as a separate part. I had to order the hose with adapter for about $55. That part number is 7L6 122 073 H, and now I know the quick connector is 3B0 122 291 B, which is $5-$20 online. At least this came next day. I spent more time underneath the Touareg today and got the connector in there. A quick drive with some stops did trigger the check coolant message/light, but it just looks like the air at the top so far. System is holding pressure and I don't see any evidence of the leak returning or another leak, so I think topping it up later will be good.

It is good to hear that the V6 starts without issues at that low a temperature. VW TDIs have been a lot better than my last Duramax, which would have problems starting below 25F. It did have over 400k miles though.