VW golf shudders in 1st and reverse gear

TFS1

TDI
VW Golf TDI
Hey all.
i'd appreciate any thoughts you have on this topic. (Hope I've posted in the correct place?)
Before Christmas I had a new clutch fitted as I was told the pressure plate being worn out was causing a stiff clutch pedal.
Anyway, since I've had it back my car shudders when I start to release the clutch pedal slowly in 1st gear and also in reverse. When the clutch pedal is fully released the car runs fine. (I haven't released fully in reverse yet). If I release it quickly theses only a little to none shuddering. If I give the car some revs, 1000 to 1500 it decreases the shudder but feels like I'm kinda boy racing if that makes sense?
When I got the car back after the clutch was fitted, the mechanic told me the biting point on the car would be different. I assumed the shudder was due to this but when I took it back around a month later to have it MOT'd he asked me if the car was misfiring as that would explain the shudder. I told him it had been doing that since I collected it from him. He then asked if he had replaced the flywheel as he couldn't remember. I told him I didn't know but had assumed this was changed with the new clutch. He then said I should keep an eye on the car to see if the shudder was getting worse.
Do any you have any thoughts on this? What can make a car do this and would it be clutch related ?
I appreciate any help, advice or knowledge you can give.
T

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
There is a break in period for new clutches. It usually takes around 500 mikes of easy driving to “bed” everything in.

Hopefully the disc hasn’t glazed over or is contaminated.

You mentioned that the FW wasn’t replaced. Was it inspected / resurfaced before the new clutch and PP was installed? Ask him again, this is stuff he should be able to answer.

Sucks for him if has to do the job twice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TFS1

TDI
VW Golf TDI
I remember a discussion about the fly wheel and that the cost would be more if it was a dual mass. turned out not to be so cost was lower. I would assume this meant he inspected it. i'll ask him about this but think it was fine as it was, no mention of resurfacing as I recall. i'm not mechanically minded so excuse my ignorance but what does ''disc glazed over or contaminated over'' mean?
He asked if it was misfiring, could this cause the shudder in 1st and reverse gear ?
I didn't have this problem with the old clutch, was just a bugger to press. This sisue is causing some issue when stuck in slow moving traffic, cant lift it too fast in case I hit the car in front, cant lift it slowly without revving as it shudders bad.
Can the break in of a new clutch cause this ?