www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old April 16th, 2018, 10:39   #1
iamatt
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45
Default 2.0 egr pipe removal

Hi, long story short... I have a 2014 tdi jetta. I purchased a darkside egr pipe so that I could get some boost readings since malone tune and ps3 gauge have problems displaying boost values together.

Has anyone removed the egr tube that goes from the egr valve and disappears behind the engine? That thing kicked my butt. I had airbox and battery and cool air charge tube removed and some other things but just couldn't get to the 13mm bolts which look to be on the turbo. What a pita. I'm thinking of just tapping into the egr itself. Any suggestions on getting that tube removed? Removal is one thing and getting blockoff plate back on looks to be another challenge. I ran out of time and had to put all of that crap back together. Grrrr
2014 Jetta TDI sedan (new) ,2014 TDI Jetta Sport Wagon 6MT (Flooded) Amsoil HDD3000 20K OCI, GSP Mod (RIP Rosie 4/4/2015), 2011 Toyota 4 Runner SR5 (Flooded), 2007 Duramax (Flooded), slightly modded GSPv2 is here, Bellatrix "Bella" Hunting God's County, katygsp.com
Amsoil Dealer -
http://www.texas-synthetics.com
iamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 10:51   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Which EGR pipe are you talking about? There are two completely separate EGR systems on that car. High or low pressure? From where to where?

I find the best way to get at some items on these cars is to make more room by taking stuff out of the way. But some of it is pretty buried in there for sure.
Old April 16th, 2018, 11:14   #3
iamatt
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Which EGR pipe are you talking about? There are two completely separate EGR systems on that car. High or low pressure? From where to where?

I find the best way to get at some items on these cars is to make more room by taking stuff out of the way. But some of it is pretty buried in there for sure.
Looks to be a low pressure tube. If looking at the front of the engine, it is the goldish tube that connects to the right side of the EGR. Typically has some meshing on it and it runs towards the back of the engine and I traced it out to exhaust manifold? The darkside kit came with a blockoff plate and I'm assuming that would be where it goes if you remove the tube. Rusty studs with some 13 mm bolts to it holding the tube on. Part of the problem I think is not using the right tools since all my stuff got stolen during Harvey. Working with some basic craftsman stuff at the moment. Have to come up with something clever to get up in there..
2014 Jetta TDI sedan (new) ,2014 TDI Jetta Sport Wagon 6MT (Flooded) Amsoil HDD3000 20K OCI, GSP Mod (RIP Rosie 4/4/2015), 2011 Toyota 4 Runner SR5 (Flooded), 2007 Duramax (Flooded), slightly modded GSPv2 is here, Bellatrix "Bella" Hunting God's County, katygsp.com
Amsoil Dealer -
Old April 16th, 2018, 11:19   #4
740GLE
Veteran Member

If your just looking for a boost reading you shouldn't have to do anything to the EGR nor a EGR tap, just need to tap intake path (near IC or before the intake valve) and connect it to the P3 gauge.

Which P3 gauge do you have, the one with the dedicated boost tap? If not, the lesser one only reads the boost via ECU which maybe the issue you're having.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 11:22   #5
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamatt View Post
Looks to be a low pressure tube. If looking at the front of the engine, it is the goldish tube that connects to the right side of the EGR. Typically has some meshing on it and it runs towards the back of the engine and I traced it out to exhaust manifold? The darkside kit came with a blockoff plate and I'm assuming that would be where it goes if you remove the tube. Rusty studs with some 13 mm bolts to it holding the tube on. Part of the problem I think is not using the right tools since all my stuff got stolen during Harvey. Working with some basic craftsman stuff at the moment. Have to come up with something clever to get up in there..

Also that's the high pressure EGR system, goes from the hot side of the turbo to the intake.

LP goes from after the DPF thru EGR cooler then back to the intake path before the intake of the turbo.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 11:23   #6
iamatt
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740GLE View Post
If your just looking for a boost reading you shouldn't have to do anything to the EGR nor a EGR tap, just need to tap intake path (near IC or before the intake valve) and connect it to the P3 gauge.

Which P3 gauge do you have, the one with the dedicated boost tap? If not, the lesser one only reads the boost via ECU which maybe the issue you're having.

I have purchased the analog boost adapter. It was reading digital from the ecu until tunes were introduced.
Amsoil Dealer -
Old April 16th, 2018, 12:26   #7
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

That is the high side EGR tube, it goes from the turbocharger housing (exhaust manifold) around to the EGR valve.

Those rear nuts are tricky, for sure... I use a wobble extension, and have the ratchet over near the master cylinder. I've had a few of those off, due to turbo failures, so I know what you mean. I remove the center hold down clamp and the bolts at the EGR valve, and weasel it out. Actually, when doing a turbo, I just leave it lay loose and out of the way. Just so long as it clears the studs you can slide the turbo assembly off.