www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old April 16th, 2018, 10:18   #1
Nero Morg

Default Injector upgrades

Hey all, I'm looking for some input on what injectors I should use in my ALH. I currently have two tdi's that are both daily drivers and are also both auto to stick conversions with upgraded clutches. So they both have the 11mm pumps on them. One car I have pp520s in them and love the power. The other has 706 nozzles and it's a bit of a turd. I do not intend to do a tune on either car, at least not immediately. I'm finding ton of info that the 520s are OK to use on the 10mm pumps, but is it safe to use on the 11s with doing an IQ adjustment only? I'm looking for a power increase but don't know if I should worry about EGTs. Any input would be appreciated!
Nero Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 10:26   #2
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

FWIW, I have DLC520s on my auto-equipped ALH, and only a an IQ tweak to keep the smoke down. Seems to run fine, but I don't know different the pp520 is from my DLC520.
Old April 16th, 2018, 10:45   #3
Nero Morg

The DLC520s are diamond coated so it has a better hp/torque than the pp520s. How long have you had them in there? No over boost issues?
Old April 16th, 2018, 11:05   #4
h4vok
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 to 50

The DLC520 will be similar to your PP520s. If you like those and have been able to make adjustments to lower smoke I would go for it. I have DLC520s on a 10mm and on the stock tune it behaved just fine. I however do have a tune and it is great with or without the tune on the 10mm. If you are handy with a computer you can get a mpps cable for about $40 and you can do a basic tune. This will allow you to get rid of the smoke by adjusting pump voltage just like a pro tune. You can get carried away or just do basic adjustments.

h4vok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 19:11   #5
Nero Morg

Thanks for the suggestions. I just ordered the DLC520s from Kerma. Hope they show up soon! As for that mpps cable, I was looking round for them but all I'm seeing is knockoff cables all over eBay and Amazon. Is there a place you would suggest to get one? I'm not afraid of tuning, and if I mess an ECU up beyond repair I have a spare one.
Old April 16th, 2018, 20:02   #6
QuickTD
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Morg View Post
As for that mpps cable, I was looking round for them but all I'm seeing is knockoff cables all over eBay and Amazon. Is there a place you would suggest to get one? I'm not afraid of tuning, and if I mess an ECU up beyond repair I have a spare one.
AMT cartech produces the original MPPS tool. You will need a standalone master to tune your own car.

https://amtcartech.com/product/mpps-standalone-master/
QuickTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2018, 20:33   #7
Nero Morg

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickTD View Post
AMT cartech produces the original MPPS tool. You will need a standalone master to tune your own car.

https://amtcartech.com/product/mpps-standalone-master/
I appreciate the link for the real deal, but hot dog that is more than I spent on the car itself lol. I see why they have the clones, is there a clone you'd suggest?
Old April 17th, 2018, 08:39   #8
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

the chrome cable clear plug one with the pandabear CD works for me

why 520s? they're tiny wish I'd done reasonable nozzles first, the pp764s I started with were small enough they siezed my first 12mm pump head
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2018, 08:43   #9
Exenos
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Golf

This is the one I bought https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I don't know if it'd be better to get a v16 cable vs the 13.02 but I do know that the 13.02 cables work. Did have to jump through some hoops to get it working properly on my laptop. Couple different drivers, compatibility mode+ admin ect. Nothing bad but it not just plug and play.
Exenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2018, 09:13   #10
h4vok
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35 to 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exenos View Post
This is the one I bought https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I don't know if it'd be better to get a v16 cable vs the 13.02 but I do know that the 13.02 cables work. Did have to jump through some hoops to get it working properly on my laptop. Couple different drivers, compatibility mode+ admin ect. Nothing bad but it not just plug and play.
Same here I bought the v16 version one from the same seller for $40 and it has worked fine. If you use an older os like windows7 or xp it works without much messing around at all. Just have to assign the driver to it in device manager if I remember right.

h4vok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2018, 10:08   #11
Nero Morg

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
the chrome cable clear plug one with the pandabear CD works for me

why 520s? they're tiny wish I'd done reasonable nozzles first, the pp764s I started with were small enough they siezed my first 12mm pump head
I'm not looking to get insane torque out of it, just something better than what I have. So far I like the pp720s that I installed used, so I think I'll just do minor tweaking with the cable to help with fuel economy. I drive 20 miles one way to work, but it's stop and go traffic for half of it.
Old April 17th, 2018, 11:40   #12
Nevada_TDI
Veteran Member

I have one of those ebay type cables and there was a little bit of fiddling to make it work but it works fine on both .bin files and WinOls files too.
2001 Jetta GL TDI, Tinted, Ventectomy, Catectomy, EGR-ectomy, TDTuning, HIFLO .216's, Stealth 17/56 Garrett, VCDS Hex+CAN, South Bend Daily Driver 2 Clutch, DG Short Shifter, Frostheater, Baldwin Fuel Filter, Previous Diesel: 1983 Rabbit Diesel
Nevada_TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2018, 14:13   #13
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Morg View Post
The DLC520s are diamond coated so it has a better hp/torque than the pp520s. How long have you had them in there? No over boost issues?
About a year now, and no overboost - the turbo was replaced shortly before these nozzles went in (was shot at 330K miles), so as far as I know, no overboost.

I went with the lowest "stage" on them because I'm not currently tuned (just the stock 11mm pump and an automatic).