File Under: W....for While I'm in there!

HODEDO51

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI / white
98 Jetta 5 speed with 302,000. Currently, I have the engine cradle cross member and both control arms on the workbench, and the engine suspended from the clouds, so as to remove snapped-off control arm stretch bolts....but hey, that's another story. My head tells me......"while you're in there, and everything is wide open....doooooo yourrrrrrrr clutch toooooooooo"
Did I mention 302,000 on the original one? Still fine, as it's noise free and smooth, but did I mention that it's wide open access and it has 302,000? I have never ventured into a transmission, but just about everything else you can think of. Any step by step pictorials on here? Any thoughts on replacement parts?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The clutch itself may be fine, but often the first thing that requires the trans to come out is the release bearing, the springs, or the release lever ball pivot. So yeah, I'd go ahead and drop it out, even though you do not need to remove the subframe to R&R the trans. Does make it easier while it is out though.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I vote for doing the clutch while you have free access. At 302k, that clutch doesn't owe you anything! I just replaced mine at 200k because it was slipping, after a Malone stage II tune.

Tony