Broken rear coil spring

4vdubs

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2003, Silver
Last week while driving on the interstate on of the rear coil springs on my 03 Jetta broke. Scared the #### out of me, but there was no damage to the car. It seems the spring broke on the bottom most coil so the spring still does its job it's just about 1" shorter. My question for those in the know is what is involved in changing the rear springs? Thanks!

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
About the same as changing a rear shock. You should check the other spring, too. To see if it is odd looking in the same spot as broken spring.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
You will just need to get a set of spring compressors from a local auto parts store. Idealy a store that does free tool rentals. Then just jack up the side of the car, put the spring compressors on, and remove the spring.

dingchowping

TDI
'05 Jetta GLS TDI
You will just need to get a set of spring compressors from a local auto parts store. Idealy a store that does free tool rentals. Then just jack up the side of the car, put the spring compressors on, and remove the spring.
Or you can just unbolt both shocks and lower the axel down with a floor jack. Just remove 2 bolts and the springs literally fall out. Replace the spring, raise the axle back up with the floor jack, install the bolts, then jack up the axle until the suspension is compressed at ride height BEFORE you tighten the bolts or you'll get premature bushing failure. 10 minutes and you're done.

TTFN,
Adam

Head Tech,
Achtuning
Redmond, WA.