Pela extractor tube stuck in dipstick tube or oil pan

basskleff

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS
Was doing my oil change 10 minutes ago, finished getting the oil out, and now I can't pull the extractor tube all the way out of the dipstick tube. It's getting snagged somewhere.
Anyone have any ideas how to remove this?
Actually my exctractor is a Mity Vac Fluid evacuator. Awesome tool.
But this is the first time this happened. I know I got carried away and pushed more tube in than times before, to try and get to other places in the pan. :eek:

SoMDTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE BRM/JCR
basskleff said:
Was doing my oil change 10 minutes ago, finished getting the oil out, and now I can't pull the extractor tube all the way out of the dipstick tube. It's getting snagged somewhere.
Anyone have any ideas how to remove this?
Actually my exctractor is a Mity Vac Fluid evacuator. Awesome tool.
But this is the first time this happened. I know I got carried away and pushed more tube in than times before, to try and get to other places in the pan. :eek:
Try twisting the hose. If it is anything like the hose for the pela extractor, the inside is metal wound around to form a tube with a cover over it. If the end has been damaged, it might be catching on the edge of the opening and twisting the hose may clear the problem.

basskleff

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS
So I twisted while pulling and that worked! Thanks a bunch!
Glad to have tdiclub at my back!

The MityVac tube is just hard plastic. So when I got it out I could see the section where the tube got pinched, twisted, cut and flattened. There's definitely something down there that will snag and chew these things up if you feed too much line.
I just cut it off and hopefully it should be enough for the next time.

I saw that someone had a thread where this happened on an actual Pela.
So, moral of story: don't stick it in too far. :p

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
That is why I stopped doing topside extraction... I could just SEE myself getting a tube caught, and I would have to pull the oil pan.

Fumoto valve is my friend now.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
The dip stick tube is about double cost at the Dealer.

That tube becomes brittle with heat and age down next to the engine. It will eventually break!

When my tube broke, I used a "magic marker" to plug the hole until I got a new tube. I wrapped the end of the magic marker with a thin piece of rag (piece from an old T-shirt). The rag material will allow for a good seal while "wedging" the magic marker down into the hole.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Most hardware stores sell a more flexible type of plastic tubing which I found to work quite well when I had the MityVac 7200. I still use this Poly tubing with my 12v extraction pump.

mwjoerin

TDI
2001 Beetle, 2012 Jetta DSG
I know the thread is old and fairly dead... I just wanted to mention that I too had my extraction tube stick (and filler tube break):mad:. A little bit of twisting and a lot more force eventually freed the extraction tube:). Thanks for the added confidence too pull harder. Hopefully this helps others.

In hindsight, a warmer engine and smaller diameter tube would have likely helped prevent this.