Curious instrument cluster problem 2002 Jetta

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I just returned from a 4 week European trip and had parked my car at an airport parking lot.
Got into the car yesterday afternoon, car started fine.
My own inattentiveness, but when I was on the 401 I noticed that I had no RPM counter, no speedometer, no water temp and no fuel gauge. Odometer and trip meters were OK. Used my Scangauge for speedometer which worked fine.

Parked the car overnight and went out today to see if either fuse Nr.11 or Nr.15 could be the culprit. Had to start the car to get it out of the garage and all was well ????
Turned engine off and pulled Nr.11 fuse. Car starts but stops immediately.
Pulled Nr. 15 fuse and car starts but no instruments, ie same I had yesterday.
Could it be a wonky Nr.15 fuse that when cool is OK and car if or when the interior is hot as it was yesterday afternoon and then it acts up???

Nr.11. Instrument cluster, shift lock solenoid (5A).

Nr.15. Instrument cluster, transmission control module (TCM) (5A).

Any thoughts?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Please, I NEED HELP with this !!!

Of course I changed both fuses ! When I get into the car the instrument cluster may/will work for a short time. When it does, I get an airbag warning light as well as a cooling liquid warning light. Then all of a sudden the cluster goes out and the trip meter resets to 000 also. The odometer keeps on working and the trip meter starts recording from 000 again. The clock also resets. The cluster may come on again but just as surely will go off again in no time at all.

Cruise control works but no indicator, turn signals work and indicators work.

Is there a module that controls all this ???

HELP

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
It could be the cluster itself craping out... In my opinion what you can try is to swap with another cluster and see if anything changes. You would have to get the cluster programed and adapted which I can do but before doing that I would see if anyone else knows what may be the problem, I'm not too versed in clusters

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
Ever had the cluster out? I'd be pulling it to see if theres any bad connections (re-seat them). Its not too hard to pull the cluster.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I'd do this whether you've had the cluster out or not, just take the plugs off and put them back on. Fixes many things on the mk4

Ever had the cluster out? I'd be pulling it to see if theres any bad connections (re-seat them). Its not too hard to pull the cluster.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
And I would get this solved soon... before you're cluster completely craps out and you can't start your car anymore due to the immobilizer... i've seen it happen on another mk4

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
I'd do this whether you've had the cluster out or not, just take the plugs off and put them back on. Fixes many things on the mk4

I always read comments like this...and yet I've never experienced an issue that has been solved by that. connectors that see the climate, sure. Grime/debris can work it's way in but with a cluster, IIRC they have a tab that locks them into place.

I don't see how a locking tab would come loose, anything is possible but I highly doubt that will solve it.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Doesn't hurt to try, takes about 3 minutes and you don't know what you may find...

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Follow-up

Well today Brandon from "DCB Automotive" came up with the solution. It is the instrument cluster which is euchred.

Got another one from the "Source for VW" and that proved out that the cluster is at a fault.

Now all I need to get done is to get my 2 remote keys and the Valet key re-coded and the mileage set up on the replacement cluster and I should be OK.