"200 miles left" add blue warning, tank is full

pridyuk

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 jetta wagon pd-tdi, '97 jetta tdi, '98 jett tdi, '01 jetta tdi, '00 jetta tdi auto, '02 jetta tdi, and '03 golf tdi-parts.
Hello, I have a 2013 passat tdi with 30k miles, and I have had a P205c (reductant tank temp sensor) CEL code for a few months now but really dont feel like spending another $600+. This past weekend my wife took the car to the dealership to do the 23N5 ecm update and as soon as she picked up the car, the display showed an add blue warning saying that i have 200 miles left to go (although the add blue tank is completely full). Is this mile countdown due to the cel code or a different issue? Is there anything i can do to reset it? This car has been a nightmare for us.
Please help

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
With a 2013 with 30K, are you still on the 3 year / 36K B to B warranty? I'd get back to the dealer with it for sure if it started when you picked the car up. Get it documented there, make it VWs problem.

pridyuk

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 jetta wagon pd-tdi, '97 jetta tdi, '98 jett tdi, '01 jetta tdi, '00 jetta tdi auto, '02 jetta tdi, and '03 golf tdi-parts.
With a 2013 with 30K, are you still on the 3 year / 36K B to B warranty? I'd get back to the dealer with it for sure if it started when you picked the car up. Get it documented there, make it VWs problem.
Unfortunately the car has previously been in an accident and carries a Salvage title here in CA, therefore the warranty no longer applies to my vehicle.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
The stuff is called "Adblue" BTW, not add blue. AKA, DEF.

You can, of course, add Adblue, or add DEF, but you can't add blue.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
A 200 mile countdown is indicative of a problem with the system's ability to reduce NOx, which is humorous, given the current Dieselgate scandal.

You probably have a bad NOx sensor, your injector or AdBlue pump isn't working, or your AdBlue is frozen and cannot be thawed. Scan the system for codes, and it should point you in the right direction.

Quite a few people have seen this countdown, but have had it clear itself before it reached zero. If yours reaches zero, don't turn the engine off until you're in a safe place, since it really will refuse to start.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
It seems to me that, if the DEF temperature sensor had failed (see the original post), the system would have no way of knowing that the DEF is cold enough to freeze, and hence would not try to heat it.

I think the OP has just figured out why there's a temp sensor, and a heater.

pridyuk

Veteran Member
TDI
A 200 mile countdown is indicative of a problem with the system's ability to reduce NOx, which is humorous, given the current Dieselgate scandal.

You probably have a bad NOx sensor, your injector or AdBlue pump isn't working, or your AdBlue is frozen and cannot be thawed. Scan the system for codes, and it should point you in the right direction.

Quite a few people have seen this countdown, but have had it clear itself before it reached zero. If yours reaches zero, don't turn the engine off until you're in a safe place, since it really will refuse to start.
If i had a bad NOx sensor, would it throw a NOx specific code?

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
If i had a bad NOx sensor, would it throw a NOx specific code?
I have had the same "200 mile" adblue warning and I have about 5 different NOx sensor codes, no adblue tank system codes. My warning went away 120 miles later and has not come back.. yet. Cheapest fix to try is to pull the sensor and clean it. There is not much extra cable so be careful of the cable if you pull the sensor.

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
Does a salvage title also void the emissions warranty? This is emissions-related, isn't it?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Does a salvage title also void the emissions warranty? This is emissions-related, isn't it?
From other threads on this subject (and much to my chagrin) the SCR system IS NOT covered by the 80K mile Federal Emissions Warranty. Why this should be the case, since emissions is the ONLY point or purpose of the SCR system* is well beyond my understanding.

*The system that injects the Ad Blue (more properly DEF= Diesel Emissions Fluid) is called SCR = Selective Catalytic Reduction

pridyuk

Veteran Member
TDI
So is it possible that the p205c code is the reason for the 200 mile countdown?

pridyuk

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone out there with this issue?

passatti

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
From other threads on this subject (and much to my chagrin) the SCR system IS NOT covered by the 80K mile Federal Emissions Warranty. Why this should be the case, since emissions is the ONLY point or purpose of the SCR system* is well beyond my understanding.
*The system that injects the Ad Blue (more properly DEF= Diesel Emissions Fluid) is called SCR = Selective Catalytic Reduction
In California, this should be covered due to the CA Emissions Warranty (that will cover "high cost" emissions related components). This CA warranty is for 7years/70k miles....unless salvage title invalidates this warranty (but sounds odd if thats the case).

I had redundant tank sensor/heater replaced for free under the CA warranty couple months ago...

pridyuk

Veteran Member
TDI
In California, this should be covered due to the CA Emissions Warranty (that will cover "high cost" emissions related components). This CA warranty is for 7years/70k miles....unless salvage title invalidates this warranty (but sounds odd if thats the case).
I had redundant tank sensor/heater replaced for free under the CA warranty couple months ago...
Ive called two local VW dealerships and they both said that salvage title voids the CA emissions warranty :(

TDI
01 jetta tdi, 12 passat tdi
I had a similar issue with our 12 Passat. I purchased a vag com and found the steps somewhere online on how to reset the system . It was for an audi if I remember correctly but worked for the Passat. never acted up again.