1 year/37K – Report on 2014 Passat SE TDI

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
So, I am almost to the one year mark on my 2014 Passat. I made the purchase October 28, 2013. Mileage as of 06:47 am today - 37,006.

Yeah maybe I should have waited three more weeks, but I thought I’d post my year one review while I am thinking about it. For reference, I drive about 86 Miles each way to work (~180 miles per day if I throw in a trip to the store or kids school event). The roads I travel are mixed surface, concrete, asphalt, and chip & seal. The route is comprised of 70 miles on four lane, rural expressway, and 16 miles are on two lane rural highway. I drive through a few smaller towns, and have two, yes only two, stoplights on my commute. Although I did ride share with a colleague for several weeks this past year, she has since moved closer to work and I anticipate my annual mileage to increase to 44,000/year.

Economy: My average fuel economy is 43.4mpg. The car has had 58 fuel ups. My last 10 fuel ups have averaged 46.6 mpg, which correlates to the variability in winter to summer blend diesel and the effects of temperature on fuel economy. This engine varies more dramatically from winter to summer than my 03 Jetta, at least, that’s my hypothesis, since my driving style and route is nearly identical. As we start to cool off in the Midwest, I anticipate a drop in economy to the low 40’s. It was 34 degrees here this morning, and my MFI indicated an average of 43.3 after my trip into work (but I give those readings a grain of salt until the tank fill when I let my Fuelly app do the work). In these 37,000 miles I have added 5.7 gallons of AdBlue. Therefore, my calculated consumption is 0.019oz/mile or about 2oz per 100 miles.

Speaking of temperatures, and again for the newbie or anyone considering a TDI, don’t worry about cold starts – check out this video I took last year during our brutally cold winter here in MN…. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bljarWxif2Y

Maintenance: I did experience an Adblue heating system failure last winter, but the dealer turned the car around in a day with no issues since. Outside of that single issue, maintenance has been routine and by the book. The Hankooks have done ok. I was concerned about them after 10K, as they had already worn to 6/32 of tread. They are now at 3/32 and will be replaced later this fall with a set of Conti’s. There has been enough chatter about those out here, so I won’t go into a tirade about the quality. They carried me this far, which was further than I expected… For anyone considering a Passat who may be reading this, I would negotiate better tires or ask the dealer to swap tires with a car that had Conti’s if I did it over again. Outside of those few things, maintenance has been run of the mill, not much to report.

Driving, seating, space etc: I love this car. I often compare this car to my BMW, which may be considered by some an unfair comparison. However, I would argue the gearbox is as elegant as the BMW, shifts are smooth and precise and moving between the two cars the feel is almost identical with very similar throws and clutch response. The Passats steering is composed, but the car will provide some negative feedback and understeer if pushed in corners. Then again, it wasn’t designed to take corners on a rail, so I don’t push it often (yes, better tires would help…) Overall, the ride is composed and comfortable in normal driving. Cabin noise is slightly higher than I would like, although my standards in the category are very high. I did follow several members’ recommendations to seal the back seat to trunk transition with camper tape and saw an improvement (specifically noticeable by the person on the other end of the line when I am on the phone hands free). The seats are firm and have the necessary adjustment range to make my 6’ frame feel at home behind the wheel. I drive in a very upright position and find the headroom to be exceptional. Furthermore, the rear seat room is also exceptional. I have on numerous occasions, carried three adults in the rear seat and each time received feedback on the ample amount of leg, hip and headroom. Speaking of room, I enjoy many fitness activities, but love to cycle. I often carried my bike in the backseat, by simply removing the front tire. Then I tried folding the rear seats down, and found I can fit two road bikes in the car without removing the wheels! Although I do tend to take the tire off as I don’t like the additional noise having the trunk open to the cabin, but when needed, this car has some serious cargo space.

Controls, Sound System, etc.: The controls are intuitive and function well. The auxiliary heater is fantastic in the dead of winter to take the chill off as the engine comes up to operating temperature. The radio is very good. Overall connectivity with my iPhone 5 has been excellent, with no issues. The disc changer takes more time than my BMW or Honda to change discs, but overall the few extra seconds isn’t a huge deal, as I stream most music from the phone anyway. I did find myself turning off the HD radio feature, as in the rural part of the country I live, the HD signal would come and go. I never activated the CarNet system, as I found it to be very overpriced for the benefit. I simply added the Passat to our existing triple A account.

Wish List: So, after a year, there are only four things I really wish were different with this car, first a vertically adjustable armrest (like the Jetta), second an available sunroof, third foglamps and finally, external Adblue refill.

Part of me wishes I had more to report, then again I think in this case, less is better. I look forward to the 2-year mark and see how she’s doing. If the first year is any indication, this one is in for the long haul.

All in all, I love the car. It’s a great combination of value, economy, and comfort neatly wrapped in an elegant body.

Cheers!

Aaron

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Thanks Aaron. Nice writeup. Since I've only had mine three weeks, I can't say as much, and I won't be putting that much mileage on it either! But I am happy to be back in a diesel. It's been quite some time for me.

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
Nice report. I have 93k on my 2012 TDI SEL. I agree on the armrest. Liked it on my 09 TDI Sportwagon and have it on my Audi A5 Cab. SEL would have given you the fogs and roof. No sure why the adblue fill is a concern. Gets topped every 10k at the dealer and no drops spilled.

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
Nice report. I have 93k on my 2012 TDI SEL. I agree on the armrest. Liked it on my 09 TDI Sportwagon and have it on my Audi A5 Cab. SEL would have given you the fogs and roof. No sure why the adblue fill is a concern. Gets topped every 10k at the dealer and no drops spilled.
TDICT, thanks and I agree the SEL gets me those options, but I would have to trade off the 6 speed manual. I know the DSG is a very nice transmission and can shift much faster and with more precision than I can. However, I am still partial to three pedaled cars. So as long as there is an option for three pedals and I have the mobility to use them, that is the option I'll choose. Frankly the transmission trumped the other options. I was just in Ireland and England. I rented both a Tiguan and Passat respectively while there, both were TDI's and equipped with 6 speed manuals and both had factory fogs and sunroofs plus a few other options not available on the SE here... I simply wish those options were available stateside.

As far as AdBlue, I just think its silly to have the tank fill in the trunk. Audi uses an external fill location next to the fuel fill. Seems an obvious choice. In the event some DEF is splashed, its easily washed off the exterior. Just my $0.02...

Cheers!

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
As far as AdBlue, I just think its silly to have the tank fill in the trunk. Audi uses an external fill location next to the fuel fill. Seems an obvious choice. In the event some DEF is splashed, its easily washed off the exterior. Just my $0.02...

Cheers!
Until someone fills it with Diesel…...

mountain-valleymotors

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
You can put the factory fog lights on your car if you want. I have them on mine. Makes the car look a lot better I must say and they really do help at night on back roads.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
The way around tires (aka Hankooks) that you don't want is to simply do what we did: write it into the sales agreement. I stated that we would not accept delivery of our car, period, if it came delivered with Hankooks. The dealer made no quibble. In retrospect, since we got a '13 TDI SEL Premium, there was no chance of that, since evidently they were all being delivered with the Continental ProContact tire, but nevertheless. We have been perfectly satisfied with the Continentals.

fowvey

Veteran Member
TDI
(2014 Jetta TDI DSG) -Gone, but not forgotten, 2014 Audi A6 TDI
The DEF port is literally right next to the fuel cap on the Audi, but is so small you cannot fit the nozzle in there. Granted, I am sure if you were determined to fill it with diesel you would just squirt it in. It sure makes it easier to fill when all you have to do is open the fuel door and unscrew it.

garment69

TDI
2013 Passat SEL w/DSG
Great write up, thanks!

I have a 2013 TDI SEL and it is my favorite car of all time. Purchased mine last June and now have 39,000 miles it. My daily commute is about 50 miles each way, of that, 40 is highway. My Conti's are holding up great and my brakes are still basically brand new. The car is really such a pleasure I dont know if I would ever consider something else, especially with the amount of driving I do. Just had my first service out of warranty and it was a fortune. Imagine that. But in included the full 40K service plus the DSG flush. Averaging about 44 MPG which is amazing considering the size of this car. My old Civic would bet around 34 MPG.

Gotta wonder why diesels are not more popular. Oh well, guess it our little secret.

cheoah

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta PD, '14 Passat
Aaron, great report - thx for that. Ditto on armrest. Consolation prize is that the new Passat one is very stable, and following back surgery, getting in and out is not the easiest. The real leather in the 06 Jetta slides more, so I could easily spin in the seat. With the Passat, I put a lot of weight on the arm rest and use that to help twist and get out. Kind of pathetic, I'm only 41, but a farming has been tough on the back.

I would not complain at all about a def fill by the diesel. I don't put fluids in anything without thinking.

The 6MT is super sweet and smooth. I really look forward to driving it on routine errands, but I live on farm and drive a 4WD Powerstroke much of the time.

Glad to,hear about the supplemental heat. I can do without a sun roof but I get the desire to have one. If I spent a lot of time in my car it would be good to have some ventilation options, and catch some rays on a cool day when the sun is out.

Say, I wonder if I can buy a black leather seat for this thing? I guess it would cost a fortune,but curious anyway.

Sent from my iSomething using Tapatalk
Please forgive typos and commas

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Wish List: So, after a year, there are only four things I really wish were different with this car, first a vertically adjustable armrest (like the Jetta), second an available sunroof, third foglamps and finally, external Adblue refill.

Cheers!

Aaron
Adding fog lights is doable (pay the dealer), and expensive. Here is a thread with the parts list.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=419692

:)

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
BKmetz, thanks! yeah I've read through most of the fog and lighting threads. To your point, it's awfully expensive. However, a buddy here in MN added the package to his SE and it certainly makes a huge difference. I am leaning toward installing it. Unfortunately, my Hankooks are nearly done in, so that's where the next $500 goes... :). It sure would be nice for winter though!