'14 Passat TDI SE phone system issue- HELP??

Bgriego

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Greetings-
I'm traveling in my Passat today and all of a sudden my instrument cluster says it's connected to my phone but it's not. Long story short, i un-linked my phone and now it won't link. The screen in the gauges says it's not connected but the screen on the dash says it is. Needs a "reset" I'm guessing. Cycling the ignition for a few minutes does not help. Does anyone know a way to reboot or reset the VW computer? Or any other possible remedies? I've tried everything!
Thanks!

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
Have you gone into the BT settings on your phone and made sure it's trying to connect?

I have run into this a couple times and it's always been the phone.

Bgriego

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Yes. Phone is discoverable. I've had connectivity issues that have been easily remedied but this one is strange.

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
I suppose you could press and hold the power button on the radio for 10 seconds to try and reboot. Not sure how else to do it. Maybe someone else knows for sure...

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Turn your phone off and back on, then enter discoverable mode. Using the steering wheel buttons, find a new phone rather than just connecting from the existing list.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
some older Samsung phones like a rugby or slide out keyboard phone you will need to go into the bt settings and select "authorized device"
Modern phones just need a simple power cycle
Emoticons (these little guys :) ) if in the address book of a apple device will also cause issues with the bt connectivity.
12 years at a cell phone store

Last edited:

quattroginger

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Passat SEL
make sure you have deleted entry on phone side. if you forced a break on car side the assigned code may have changed and somehow its syncing still based on its name using old code on phone side and new code on car side.

Bgriego

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Thanks everyone. After sitting overnight, the system un-froze and worked correctly again. Was frustrating. I had to hold my phone up to my face a couple times to communicate! Imagine that :)
I would be interested in knowing how to do a system reset or reboot if this happens in the future. Nothing mentioned in the manual. Nope, I don't have VCDS.

Pompatus

TDI
2014 TDI SEL
My 2014 semi-regularly 'forgets' how to connect to the iphone, but usually catches up after a bit; I've just attributed it to the 'lag' that's evident in most of the functions of the nav-camera-radio system (discussed elsewhere in the forum)...

It's about the only issue I've had with the car, other than replacing two tires in two months (after 15 years of no problems) from screws/nails in the tread, and being educated about the non-existent Continental road hazard warranty for OEM tires...:eek: