"Cracking" the windows / rain sensor and battery

PaPassatt

TDI
Passat SEL
Hello,
As a new owner of a Pasast SEL TDI, and a lurker in the group for about 2 months (I wanted to wait until I actually had my car before I started posting), I am excited to join such a great community like-minded enthusiasts!
My first (3) questions (and yes, I did search the archives before posting):
  1. When "cracking" the widows on a hot day when the car is parked (via what the manual refers to as the "Convenience Control" for the power windows - where the drivers window control will lower all the windows and open the sunroof when car is off/driver door opened), the front windows go down at least 3 inches before the rear windows even start to descend.
    So the front windows are opened enough for someone to reach in the car before the back windows even begin to open.
    Is this something that can be changed via the VDS?.
  2. Does changing the rain sensor to close the sunroof and windows when it starts to rain place an unusual burden on the battery? Does the battery run down because it has to constantly be monitoring the rain sensor.
    There have been so many posts and links on this, but I didn't see anywhere that the battery use was discussed.
  3. The dealer did not give me the manual for the Nav/Radio/DVD/CD/Etc. The owners manual referred to the existence of one, but I had such a dismal dealer experience I am loathe to begin the extraction process. Do I really need it? There are some pretty good youtubes on it. If I do go back to the dealer to go after it.....any suggestions on who I should talk to? Service, Parts, the Salesperson, General Manager? What leverage do I have to 'make' them give it to me?
Thanks in advance for any insight!
Jim

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Welcome! This IS a great group of enthusiasts.

1) Total guess, but I bet the window motors are synched this way because the rear windows travel a shorter distance, so if they're getting juice at the same time, they'd stop their travel early, and might risk motor run-on, overheating the motor? just a guess...

2) There have been a few cases of new Passats with random (?) complete battery drain, and your question has been raised by them. I don't know if anyone has an answer yet. My gut feeling is the system should be designed to handle the minimal voltage used for monitoring. (I have the auto close on mine with no battery issues...as far as I know...)

3) Go straight to the sales manager, and skip your salesman. After the sale, most salesmen are worthless, so go to his boss. Simultaneously, go to the parts manager (not a counter sales person) and ask the same question. I've found that there is frequently a big difference between the competence of the sales/service/parts staff, and you might get better results from the parts manager.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
1. You can stop the window roll down by releasing the switch. I only use the feature when entering the vehicle, not leaving it, but I have let go of it and the windows stopped were they were. See if you can get the position you desire.

2. Don't know, but it is possible. Would it be more than normal with everything else that has to be kept ready? including your Kessy system would be a better question. I think it would make more of a difference in an SE or lower.

3. Call VWoA instead and ask for a set. Try another dealer. Thats all I got there.

Last edited:

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
2. I've read that after 24 hours, the car will close the windows to prevent draining the battery by long-term monitoring. I haven't personally tried this.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
2. I've read that after 24 hours, the car will close the windows to prevent draining the battery by long-term monitoring. I haven't personally tried this.
Yep, tested it in the garage this weekend. Not sure if it was 24 exactly, but close enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD