'12 Passat clutch circuit help needed

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
My car has been sitting since the first of the year, just over two weeks ago I noticed some yellowish fluid coming out from under my car. I thought it was just snow/slush finally melting and I ignored it, but after 2 weeks it hadn't dried up. When I checked it out I discovered it was slippery... hmm that is not snow melt. Having a bad feeling, I pressed on the clutch pedal and it just flopped to the floor, the brake/clutch fluid reservoir is also empty! :eek: I have also seen signs of mice being in engine compartment, they have chewed a big hole in the battery blanket right next to the b/c fluid reservoir. I can see a hose going from near the top of the reservoir down behind some insulation and I don't know where it goes from there. I don't see the clutch master cylinder, I am assuming it is hidden behind the above mentioned insulation somewhere. I see no sign of fluid where the clutch master pokes into the passenger compartment. Can someone tell me what I need to do to get so I can see the clutch master cylinder and give me a hint where the clutch slave cylinder is. The car is sitting under my lift and I can only jack it up 6-8" before I hit the lift. So I would like to have an idea where the clutch slave cylinder is to minimize jacking. Although I suspect that I am going to have to remove some belly covers to be able to see the cylinder anyway. I just tried to download the electronic manual and that didn't work, so any help folks could provide would be appreciated.
Thank you,

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
The clutch "slave Cylinder" is actually a one piece unit built with the clutch release "throw out" bearing.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
The clutch "slave Cylinder" is actually a one piece unit built with the clutch release "throw out" bearing.
Thanks, that explains why I couldn't find the slave cylinder. Now to find the master cylinder and where the clutch hydraulic line connects to the slave cylinder.

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
The master cylinder is fairly deeply embedded in the clutch pedal assembly, you actually get at it by removing the pedal assembly from inside the car. That said, it does stick through the firewall into the engine compartment, there should be a supply line from the fluid reservoir to it and below it the line to the slave.

Yours
Vern

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
The master cylinder is fairly deeply embedded in the clutch pedal assembly, you actually get at it by removing the pedal assembly from inside the car. That said, it does stick through the firewall into the engine compartment, there should be a supply line from the fluid reservoir to it and below it the line to the slave.
Yours
Vern
I see the supply line leaving the reservoir, but it disappears behind some cover and it looks like I need to remove the battery to even touch the cover. So far I haven't been able to see behind that cover to actually see the clutch master cylinder. I was hoping to avoid removing the battery, but I don't see any to get in there without removing it.