EA288 Thermostat Replacement

Toyomike

TDI
2004 Golf
Just about to roll 100K, I have found numerous timing belt kits. But I can’t seem to find anything on thermostat replacement. I have always replaced this with ever timing belt. Can someone please give some insight on what needs to be done with this during the 100k service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Toyomike

TDI
2004 Golf
I can’t find anything on thermostat replacement, or parts.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Just about to roll 100K, I have found numerous timing belt kits. But I can’t seem to find anything on thermostat replacement. I have always replaced this with ever timing belt. Can someone please give some insight on what needs to be done with this during the 100k service.
No real reason to replace the T-Stat at the first T/B change on any Dub but I did look and couldn't find a T-Stat either. I am surprised. TheT/B kit does look pretty reasonable though. https://www.idparts.com/timing-belt-kit-crua-cvca-p-7237.html

Almost forgot. isn't your T/B interval 130K miles?

EA288 Familiarization: http://pics3.tdiclub.com/data/517/820433_EA288.pdf

Last edited:

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I have never heard of preemptive changing of a thermostat. Water pump, and everything else the belts touch? Sure.

Unless you thermostat throws a code I wouldn’t worry.

Toyomike

TDI
2004 Golf
The service interval does say 130k, but there’s no way I’m chancing it breaking. I’ll pay the money and change it at 100k.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I have never heard of preemptive changing of a thermostat. Water pump, and everything else the belts touch? Sure.

Unless you thermostat throws a code I wouldn’t worry.
T-Stats are not monitored by the ECU............

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
T-Stats are not monitored by the ECU............
My 2004 Trailblazer could throw a CEL and tell me if the thermostat was stuck open or closed. I’m sure a 2015 VW could.

Maybe I’m wrong, maybe they do have a replacement interval. I myself have just never heard of that.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The service interval does say 130k, but there’s no way I’m chancing it breaking. I’ll pay the money and change it at 100k
I haven't seen any interval listed for the EA288 thermostats in the maintenance schedule. 130k miles is for the timing belt. VW seems to view them like an alternator, you replace it when it goes bad.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
may i recommend you also change out the oil pump belt as well? I mean PM is PM and you can never be too safe avoiding parts failures.

How often do you change GP and injectors?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
These cars have been sitting for over a year so a bit more than normal PM isn't overkill, imo.

That's a different issue from not being able to source a new tstat, which is concerning regardless of when it should be replaced.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
These aren't your typical cheapo automotive thermostats. VW made them pretty durable because they are such a pita to get at. That's also why there is no interval.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Cheap or not, there have been several gurus posting that TDI tstats fail slowly without owners realizing it with predictably poor fuel mileage as a result. More to the point, these specific cars have been in holding for an atypical period of time--we may only have around 100k on them but they're five years old now.

The tstat on my beetle was about $15 bucks for everything including the housing. Holding it in my hand doesn't distinguish it from any other tstat I've ever replaced, but maybe my EA288 one is ultra fancy. Not sure of how difficult it is to get too, but placement doesn't really mean much to me in terms of the manufacturer's design. The oil filter is the same ole one, too, but it's definitely more of a pita to get to than my 2012.

Anyway, the point isn't whether one owner should replace the tstat; he wants to change it and no one knows where to get one is the thread's topic as far as I read it. I didn't see him asking us opinions whether he should change it...although since it's publicly posted people can post their opinions but they've already said their piece so no real reason to belabor the point if you think he doesn't need to change it, right?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
VW made them pretty durable because they are such a pita to get at.
LOL yeah cause VW designs everything around the frequency of failure and ease of access, LOL, thats a good one!

Cause you know, getting at that DSG filter every 40k surely doesn't require half the engine bay removal to get to. :D

Food for thought T stats failure are pretty common on the TSI world as well, and the intake manifold removal is recommended to gain access.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ha. They certainly didn't design the t-stat with ease of access in mind. Can't speak to the dsg filter, but anyone who thinks the engine oil filter is a pita may as well keep the hammer and crescent wrench in the tool drawer. They'll be hiring out the t-stat job. :D

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Hope Oilhammer chimes in- I'm betting he's seen a thermostat replacement or done a tb on the ea288....

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Cheap or not, there have been several gurus posting that TDI tstats fail slowly without owners realizing it with predictably poor fuel mileage as a result. More to the point, these specific cars have been in holding for an atypical period of time--we may only have around 100k on them but they're five years old now.

The tstat on my beetle was about $15 bucks for everything including the housing. Holding it in my hand doesn't distinguish it from any other tstat I've ever replaced, but maybe my EA288 one is ultra fancy. Not sure of how difficult it is to get too, but placement doesn't really mean much to me in terms of the manufacturer's design. The oil filter is the same ole one, too, but it's definitely more of a pita to get to than my 2012.

Anyway, the point isn't whether one owner should replace the tstat; he wants to change it and no one knows where to get one is the thread's topic as far as I read it. I didn't see him asking us opinions whether he should change it...although since it's publicly posted people can post their opinions but they've already said their piece so no real reason to belabor the point if you think he doesn't need to change it, right?
I posted a comment a couple of days ago (thread "No heat from heater") on what I thought was a bad valve on the main circuit, but I guess it is not a valve, but rather just a Tstat that regulates the coolant to the radiator. Ticaf suggested the Tstat is the culprit.
My '15 wagon warms up OK sitting but the moment I get on the highway, the temperature plummets as cold air hits the radiator. But it warms up to normal temp within a few miles, so Tstat seems to work at normal running temp.

Thing is, the heater STILL doesn't work well when the engine at 180-185 (straight up on the gauge). This doesn't sound like a thermostat issue?

Last edited:

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
I posted a comment a couple of days ago (thread "No heat from heater") on what I thought was a bad valve on the main circuit, but I guess it is not a valve, but rather just a Tstat that regulates the coolant to the radiator. Ticaf suggested the Tsata is the culprit.
My '15 wagon warms up OK sitting but the moment I get on the highway, the temperature plummets as cold air hits the radiator. But it warms up to normal temp within a few miles, so Tstat seems to work at normal running temp.

Thing is, the heater STILL doesn't work well when the engine at 180-185 (straight up on the gauge). This doesn't sound like a thermostat issue?
First thing is to check for codes.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Even if I leave the ducting in the same position when I turn it off (say... split defrost windshield/feet heater), the ducting system goes through a set of movements when I start it in the morning (face, then back to selected routing). I suppose this is normal, as the ducting doors are probably sprung, and relax to default without vacuum or whatever drives the doors. Is this normal?
It never occurred to me to check codes for a heater problem. Gee. Do you have any particular code in mind Ticaf, or just a standard diagnostic suggestion? Since it does get up to stable temp and does not overheat at all, I would not expect an engine heat related fault code. It seems like the heat exchanger is not getting hot, or the ducting is not redirecting the flow to the heat exchanger, even though I have the temp selector pegged high. I am skeptical that either of these have codes?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
dubStrom, what car are you talking about? A 2015 Golf? I have no experience with that car, but it would perhaps help to avail yourself of the car's OBD and see if the Climate system has any clues. The NMS Passats' Chinese HVAC motors commonly fail, maybe VAG decided to cheap out on the A7 Golfs, too.

(I also got a chuckle out of previous posts in this thread.... ECUs not monitoring the thermostat, LOL.... they most certainly DO monitor the operational temp of the cooling system!).

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
dubStrom, what car are you talking about? A 2015 Golf? I have no experience with that car, but it would perhaps help to avail yourself of the car's OBD and see if the Climate system has any clues. The NMS Passats' Chinese HVAC motors commonly fail, maybe VAG decided to cheap out on the A7 Golfs, too.

(I also got a chuckle out of previous posts in this thread.... ECUs not monitoring the thermostat, LOL.... they most certainly DO monitor the operational temp of the cooling system!).
Yes. I do need to run VAGCOM, check for faults. This is my current wagon-the 2015 TDI DSG (Fuelly below). It has over 65k on it now, which is way more than my sweet old '14 three pedal wagon had when it was wiped out by the Uber in a MB E350.

Reading the thread called "Coolant blown out from expansion bottle" now. These are some hairy stories...I did not know that the pump had a sliding shroud. I do NOT like the complexity of the cooling system on the MK7. I'd rather just wait for heat than deal with this! Blocking off the radiator air flow is easy too. This car is over engineered. I am going to look at the expansion reservoir today. I am having chronic bad heater performance on the highway, even though the engine temp is straight up 200F.

Last edited:

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
Go buy an OBDeleven, or something equivalent. If you are interested in doing any work yourself you will need it absolutely.
And yes, the 'climate module' will throw a variety of codes.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
oilhammer just mentioned an OBD as well. I have a BAFX OBDII that I got for my wife's CRV, and usng Torq Pro app to run it from the Cell phone..
But I do have VCDS on my laptop and a RossTech interface. I've never run the OBDII on the TDI (always VCDS). You are talking about just reading fault codes, right?

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm getting a feeling you don't want to read the codes, why?
Oh...I can read the codes, and I will. I hope there is a clue there. I was just confused about the choice of OBD instead of VCDS. And yes, OBD does trigger/launch OBD routines. Actually, running the OBDII from my phone is easier than connecting my laptop to the RossTech interface!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think there may be some confusion in semantics.

VCDS is a tool. A tool that speaks fluent Volkswagen, so as to be able to access ALL of the cars' modules that support OBD (OnBoard Diagnostics). OBD2 is just the generic term for second generation emissions-related (meaning, engine/trans) items. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Climate system's OBD capabilities.

Sorry if I confused anyone.