Transmission Explosion

brianrohr13

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
First ever post. I'm a forum virgin!!!
Ok, so I was cruising down the highway and I believe the tranny exploded on me. So I got a used one and myself and a buddy are going to put it in. I asked a transmission guy I know if there was anything else I should take care of while we're "in there". He said do the axle seal on the used trans and do the clutch.
I have a specific question about the clutch. I've heard the VR6 is the upgrade to do. I like upgrades, so I think that's what I want. What do y'all think based on the info I've given. What questions arise? And where do I get this upgraded clutch?
Thanks!!
Brian

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
What engine mods do you have or plan to do? Tune? Bigger turbo? Nozzles? A lot of folks here seem to like South Bend clutches and also go with a SMF.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
Not to overlook the obvious- make sure the replacement trans you're installing... is a proper TDI trans. The gear ratios are very different among the trans used for TDI vs gassers.

I put a G60 / VR6 clutch kit in my 02, mainly to get the single mass flywheel. I wasn't planning on doing any major power upgrades.

brianrohr13

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
What engine mods do you have or plan to do? Tune? Bigger turbo? Nozzles? A lot of folks here seem to like South Bend clutches and also go with a SMF.

I already got bigger nozzles(as big as I could put stock). I just figured I would upgrade as things failed. I'm at the clutch, so I'd start there. Maybe the turbo when it blows someday.....

brianrohr13

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Not to overlook the obvious- make sure the replacement trans you're installing... is a proper TDI trans. The gear ratios are very different among the trans used for TDI vs gassers.

I put a G60 / VR6 clutch kit in my 02, mainly to get the single mass flywheel. I wasn't planning on doing any major power upgrades.

The listing said it was tdi, but I'll double check. Add soon add I find out how.

Where can I get a clutch kit.....Or whatever is necessary.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I get my stuff from idparts.com, but that is not the only place (Borla parts?).

I'd get the manual, should have the trans codes. Or you could pull yours, find the code, and then read the replacement trans code. I forget where the build sheet for these cars is kept, in the trunk or something; I know there is one in my owners manual and I want to say the trans code is on that.

I have a South Bend Stage 2 SMF, and it's one smooth clutch. Lighter than the stock DMF, rated for something like 325ft-lb, so when I put on a bigger turbo and a tune I knew it would handle it. And it has.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Bora sells a vr6 clutch and pressure plate this is reasonbly priced and should take care of your mods as long as you keep it under 160 hp.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
The listing said it was tdi, but I'll double check. Add soon add I find out how.

Where can I get a clutch kit.....Or whatever is necessary.
There is a 3 letter code stamped on a flat spot on top of trans housing.

EGR or EBJ is a direct replacement or EUH will also work if you change sending units.

DO Not install a gas transmision, gear ratio's are too low!
Also I would check rear main oil seal on the engine and replace it if it is seaping while you are in there.

http://www.vwtransaxles.com/code.html

brianrohr13

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
There is a 3 letter code stamped on a flat spot on top of trans housing.

EGR or EBJ is a direct replacement or EUH will also work if you change sending units.

DO Not install a gas transmision, gear ratio's are too low!
Also I would check rear main oil seal on the engine and replace it if it is seaping while you are in there.

http://www.vwtransaxles.com/code.html

Thanks! I will definitely act on this information!!!

brianrohr13

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Here is my to do list.

I have the used transmission.
-replace gear oil
-replace axle seals
-(according to idparts.com) replace trans rear main seal if it's leaking or if it's over 150k. I'm at 135k so I'll probably do this.
-replace rear main oil seal on engine seal if it's leaking.