3M Headlight Film

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Has anyone used this stuff and have an ideas on how good it is or if it’s worth it? Mainly asking for the protection from the sun that it says it offers. If not this film is there any other films that are recommended? I should be getting my new headlights from Ed in the mail here in a couple weeks and since I spent a pretty penny on them I’d like to delay any yellowing as much as possible.
https://www.invisiblemask.com/imask/index.php?route=product/product&path=18075&product_id=36291

Or this as another option? I am happy with my weathertech floor mats but are they known for their other accessories?
https://www.weathertech.com/volkswagen/2015/golf-sportwagen/lampgard/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I actually ordered (well, asked as a Xmas gift last year) a full set that includes the hood, mirrors, front bumper cover from them...but my wife decided that "the headlights are plastic so why bother with plastic film, right?"
(She has many other redeeming qualities. :))

It's really good-quality stuff - fairly thick and still relatively forgiving when applying (just be sure to follow instructions). Key thing I'd point out is to recognize that you need to pull/stretch the stuff - it's cut a bit small with that intention, and the stretching helps smooth out (get rid of bubbles) on curves like the mirror housings. Once I made that adjustment (after doing the hood and coming up about ¼" short on one side of the hood - argh!), my other installations (headlights and mirrors) went much better.
(With all of that said, I still have the film for the bumper cover sitting in the box - there's a few too many edges, curves, etc. for a rookie like me; gotta find a pro to help me on that one.)

I bought a roll of the same 6mil 3M film and made myself some templates for the headlights by scaling an image from Lamin-X - cut those out and applied them as well. It's only been not quite a year, so can't comment on whether or not it'll yellow, but 3M stuff has proven itself for me in the past, so I feel confident in it. My friend has this stuff on her 10yr. old Prius, and there's no hint of yellowing on that.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The problem I always wondered about this stuff is what happens when it is all pitted up? Can it be removed and replaced? One car I saw had a lot of like road sand embedded in it and was really ugly looking.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I have used either 3M Clear Bra or Lamin-X to protect glass headlight lenses, side view mirrors, and occasionally other areas on many cars. I've found the Lamin-X to be a really good product (as is the 3M). The fit is generally easy and very accurate- especially for Mk7 headlights. It protects against all small impacts. Easy to remove if needed, and on my Golf headlights there is no yellowing or hazing after 7? years. I put some pre-cut Lamin-X on (her) GSW headlights- easy job, maybe 15 minutes for both sides. A little pricey, but it saves the poly lenses from rocks, and the current lenses aren't replaced easily (i believe they no longer use butyl tape as a sealant). I've also tried the DIY for the full kit, but my conditions (temps too low in a cool garage) did not produce the best results. Nonetheless, it has saved the hood and mirrors from typical highway stone chips so far. When I have time, I'll remove the old and do it properly.

Last edited:

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Good to see the reviews. I am seeing no reason not to buy these for the “insurance” aspect of keeping the new headlights nicer longer. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The Jetta we got for my daughter had a clear film of some kind on the hood and leading surfaces. One of the things the drew me to the car (besides the broken timing belt) was that there were no rock chips and rust spots on the hood and surrounding area.

Of course I have no way of knowing what kind of product is on there, but whatever it is , it works well.