Ice on the clutch or something worse?

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
I stopped at the touchless car wash a little bit ago, and when I was pulling out I noticed a prominent clunk or interference in the clutch when depressing. I could hear it and feel it in the pedal, but the car still shifted just fine. It stayed for another 10-15 presses then disappeared. My first thought is that it's somehow ice related, given the 25 degree temperature, but this has never happened after 4 winters with this car. I've also never heard of ice building up on the clutch. It went away, but obviously I'd like to rule out something more serious that might be starting to show itself.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Any ice in your wheels barrels or rockers/wheel wells that got dislodged in the car wash?

I believe the clutch is pretty well sealed.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The only hole you can see through to the bell housing is blocked by the belly pan, there is no inspection cover. I'd imagine it near impossible for water to get in that hole because it would have to be a direct shot into it. How many miles are on the car? Has the brake/clutch fluid been flushed yet?

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
Some car buddies have assured me that the clutch is sealed, but icing can occur. Not a proper explanation of course, but I'm left shrugging my shoulders.

The car has about 101k miles, and I've not flushed the fluids yet.

The problem has not happened since, even on a longer trip to Chicago and the car sitting outside overnight in the cold. At 101k I should be having some fluid work done anyways...I've done gear oil changes in my MK4, but what's the job like on the MK7?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Almost no chance there was ice on the clutch or in the bellhousing. That area gets warmed by friction, the engine, and transmission. In addition to being pretty well sealed off. Something else was going on. Did you have the car in neutral going through? Maybe some ice formed on the shift linkage or cables.

Last edited:

nectarguru

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf SE
Almost no chance there was ice on the clutch or in the bellhousing. That area gets warmed by friction, the engine, and transmission. In addition to being pretty well sealed off. Something else was going on. Did you have the car in neutral going through? Maybe some ice formed on the shift linkage or cables.
The car was in neutral. It's the type of car wash where you pull in and park, then the jets move around you. I always get the undercarriage option as well. I never noticed the clunk in the shifter itself, only in the clutch pedal. To me it felt more like I was grinding or crushing something, hence the ice suspicion. Like I said though, it hasn't come back since.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I wouldn't worry too much about the gear oil yet. You're overdue for a brake/clutch fluid flush though. You'll want DOT 4 brake fluid for that.