Candy White '13 VW Sportwagen TDI Build

Dwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 VW Jetta GLS TDI; 2013 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Hey guys! So I've decided to start a build thread on my 2013 JSW TDI. But first, here's my story...

I've always had a passion for cars. It started with Hot Wheels, then building model cars, and helping my dad work on his cars (or trucks). Finally the day came when I learned to drive on my mom's 2006 Toyota Sienna minivan. It's 3.3L 215-hp/222 lb-ft torque was pretty peppy. Then I got my first car: a 2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i with the CVT. Recently I had fallen in love with wagons, especially the gen-3 Outback. I wasn't too keen with the gen-4 at first, but I eventually came to like it a lot. Good luck spinning tires with 170 hp/tq, AWD, and a CVT lol. Aftermarket support was small. I had to get creative. On went the roof rack and plasti dip. My vision of lifting it into an epic offroad machine ended when I totaled it. Long story short, it was wet, I took an off-ramp too fast, the rear end swung out, I executed a perfect drift (unintentionally), the ramp straightened out, and I slammed into the wall.

Three weeks into searching for a new ride (which included gen-2 Outbacks, BMW 328i and 540i wagons), I test drove a 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI with 120K miles. It was really sketchy. The camber looked off, there were big dents in the car that I didn't notice in the listing, and the car refused to start after the test drive. Then I looked at their gen-3 Subaru Outback 2.5XT (turbo). Going through my inspection checklist, I noticed the carpet worn to the metal under the floor mat.

Next, I went to another dealer and test drove a Tornado Red '13 JSW TDI with 69K miles. I really, really liked it. My only problem was that the front bumper had evidence of being repainted, which was a red flag. Also, the driver's side door had this really strange damage - it looked like someone color-matched globby glue over a fist-sized patch of bare metal. Plus the dealer was playing really hard with me on the price.

So I left the dealership and went home, half-hoping they'd call me about the red one and negotiate a better deal. As a last resort, I decided to visit another dealership I had been in contact with. This was a Candy White 2013 JSW TDI with only 68K miles. I fell in love with it and immediately knew this was the one for me. It had minor curb rash, but the exterior was in very good shape (especially compared to the other vehicles I looked at that day). I ended negotiating what I thought was a pretty good deal. And it was, except I didn't know what problems I'd run into later... :rolleyes:

BTW, here's my WheelWell page of my lightly modded 2011 Subaru Outback: https://wheelwell.com/8-bit-auto/2p49/2011-subaru-outback

Okay, so now onto the build!

Dwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
10/10/18

First owner since DieselGate :cool:

Here she is in all her stock glory:

Note that the Jetta badge on the rear hatch has been edited out of the pictures, but it was there when I got it.

Last edited:

Dwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
Small Stuff

10/11/18: Pulled the chrome license plate frames off my totaled Outback and installed them on my TDI...

10/17/18: Installed much-needed blind spot mirrors on the Sportwagen. All you JSW owners know exactly what I'm talking about...

10/19/18: Car sold with carpet floor mats. I found brand new Genuine VW Monster rubber floor mats for $100 on eBay. I really wanted the TDI mats but couldn't find them, so I had to settle with Jettas...

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Congrats on the purchase of JSW TDI. I had an 2011 JSW in candy white as brand new and racked up to nearly 300k miles. Got rear ended and never the same. So i gave up on her due to DSG acting up and stuck on first gear. Was heart broken and had to go thru the buyback. Looked and looked and found a cherry 2014 Candy white JSW. Exact twin to my old one as she rolls on bioline 16” wheels like old 2011. But this one has only 27k miles from NJ. Zero rust, surprisingly. Well taken care of by a lady owner. Few scratches on rims and body clear of scratches. Good price and bought it that night on Sept 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PacketHauler

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI 6M, 2013 Jetta TDI DSG w/ Prem (retired)
I know the feeling. I wasn't looking at cars at all and I just happened to be browsing my local dealer's site, and they had a mint condition 2014 grey JSW, and happened to have a manual. I've been in love ever since. Congrats on the purchase! Looks great!

Dwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
Congrats on the purchase of JSW TDI. I had an 2011 JSW in candy white as brand new and racked up to nearly 300k miles. Got rear ended and never the same. So i gave up on her due to DSG acting up and stuck on first gear. Was heart broken and had to go thru the buyback. Looked and looked and found a cherry 2014 Candy white JSW. Exact twin to my old one as she rolls on bioline 16” wheels like old 2011. But this one has only 27k miles from NJ. Zero rust, surprisingly. Well taken care of by a lady owner. Few scratches on rims and body clear of scratches. Good price and bought it that night on Sept 2018.
I know the feeling. I wasn't looking at cars at all and I just happened to be browsing my local dealer's site, and they had a mint condition 2014 grey JSW, and happened to have a manual. I've been in love ever since. Congrats on the purchase! Looks great!
Thanks! I've been having some problems with mine since I got her, but I still love my TDI.

Dwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
10/23/18: Ordered a FormFit hood protector for $100. Was on the pricey side but pretty much my only hood protection option aside from hood bras (which I'm not fond of). I know it works because I can actually see leaves and small particles floating over my hood and windshield. Definitely gives her a more aggressive and unique look, sets her apart from the other VW's..

10/25/18: Switched out my stock valve stem caps for nicer-looking aluminum barrel caps. The insides are actually rubber so they don't freeze in the winter. Subtle aesthetic upgrade for less than $4...

Dwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
Debadged VW Jetta Badge on Sportwagen

10/29/18: Debadged my Jetta emblem on my trunk. This was just the start to see how it'd turn out. Definitely lends itself a cleaner look...

BEFORE

AFTER