Who can help with computerized TDI conversion??

bigbug86

TDI
Lesharo
I want to purchase a 2000-2011 Donor car and install the engine in a older vehicle, how much trouble will it be with all the sensors, ABS, electronic stabilization, I want to use old axles or will I have change the whole front end and what else and so on, I know that I’m going have to pull all the wiring and computers out of the donor car!! What should I know to accomplish this? The older vehicle is 1980. Is there some one that is real sharp on computerized TDI? Who can give me some advice or tell me that I’m crazy?? Thanks Walt

BigVWman

Veteran Member
Apex, NC soon to be back in the mitten of doom!
TDI
A1 cabriolet tdi and 01 nb tdi and countless gassers!
Your not crazy but need to do alot of searching both on here and soul as a conversion takes conviction and determination, its not going to be easy and you will forever be doing all your own work on it as very few shops want to work on a frankencar. A good start is the conversions sticky by g60. Unless your budget is unlimited or very high a swap from the later span of your 2000-2011 is going to be costly, actually non eof them will be cheap but they get much more expensive the newer the donor is! Good luck!

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota 4x4 TDI, 2004 Allroad TDI
Depending on what your goals are for the swap, i would be looking for a 1Z/AHU ('96-'98?) or early ALH (pre-'99.5) which were pre-immobilizer. These will be the easiest swaps to do as there is less wiring and lots of people have done them. Anything '04+ there haven't been too many swaps (documented at least) and you'll be in uncharted water. Not impossible by any means just more electronics to deal with and few gains unless you're going for all out power.

We'll need more info on the specifics of your swap before we can help much.

Luke

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Immobilizer issues are easy to overcome via a chip tuner....last time I had one done was $50 ..... if you insist on keeping ALL the electronics you are in for a very difficult swap indeed!! but if you limit yourself to just the engine electronics the road has been paved for you (albeit rocky) ....the other modules, ABS, SRS, Cluster etc. can all be written out of the ECM's software so you can have a totally CEL free swap....as said above^ read read!!

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
I'd second JimBote and LukeWilson's advice.

Personally, I wouldn't go anywhere near things like ABS. These are safety systems and IMHO should be kept as simple as possible. I would NEVER consider a "frankencar" ABS system.

For sanity and safety, just consider the engine alone.

That said, most of these swaps are using the VW computer. The conversions sticky by G60ing lists a diverse group of swaps; even if your specific vehicle isn't listed, the issues have been covered.

Good luck! :)

bigbug86

TDI
Lesharo
Hi Guys
What I’m looking at are Salvage vehicles and a 2006 – 2011 and there is not that much difference in price. This way I will end up with a newer vehicle with low mileage instead of the older none computer. I was thinking of using all of the car, dash so I need a lot of the wiring including the steering column with the keys, seats, head lights. Tail lights. I know it will be a huge undertaking, but I might as well use as much as I can. SRS, Cluster etc ? What are you talking about? I‘m not familiar with this items?? Hey guys I’m new to Diesel so I’m lost when you guys talk about Turbos and different Turbos and so on!! You guys need to speak English to me please!
Andy you seem to be good with transmissions, I want to use my tires they are brand new, so to purchase all new tires will cost!!
Here is what is going to be a problem, VW tires are 25” tall and the Lesharo tires are 29” tall plus the wait of the vehicle it will be hard on the engine 1.9L or a 2.0L!!!! And I’m not sure what trans I will end up with Auto or stick it’s what ever I can get, I would like to get a stick but don’t have the choice! What kind of gear am I going to have to put in the trans axle to of set the wait and the larger tires???
The conversions sticky by G60ing lists a diverse group of swaps, where do I find?? I will look!! And guys please look at the pictures that I posted you will see that this will be my second Frankencar! I built a 65 VW with a 455 auto trans, suicide doors lot of modifications, lots of hair pulling. Just this time it’s all electronics and I hate electronics!! I’m reading every thing that I can find!! Lots of good advice here!! Its helping a lot!!
Hey Guys all advice is really appreciated!!
Thanks Walt

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Seems there is another Thread going about the possibility of installing a TDI engine in a Lesharo. The general thinking is to use an in-line VW Passat tranny, axles, hubs, etc., and an ALH engine (99.5-03).

The Lesharo Tranny is known to be problematic. I read about that several years ago when I was RV shopping.

The ALH engine is reliable and flexible as far as modding for power, etc.

markward

Veteran Member
TDI
82 Vanagon and 2011 JSW
Walt, I am sorry if I missed it, but what type of vehicle will get the transplanted parts? That makes some difference. If you look over on the Samba. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=483270&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20 on the second page of the thread a member syncrogreg states he can reprogram a common rail ecu to work with about any chassis. According to him, he can delete many of the sensors etc. Don't know the guy though or his work.

bigbug86

TDI
Lesharo
Hi Guys
It's a Winnebago Lesharo, older brother of the Rialta on VW frame, how do I get info on lowering the gears to make up for the wait and tire height. I'm still looking for a donor car, I'm going to try to get a 2011 wagon that was rolled. See what happens. Like I said any help or if you can point me in direction where I get info would be appreciated. Thanks Walt

timmyc4

TDI
2013 Passat, 2006 Jetta w/Malone, 97 Passat Sedan TDI, 88 Jetta N/A
Consider this on your Conversion Question/Consideration

Do you have a Family? How old are you?
The reason I ask these questions, is that gas is less than $3 a gallon IF you burn premium. How much is your time worth?
About 5 years ago I got the news I have TERMINAL Cancer, and trust me, IT CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE ! They gave me 1 year. I've beat'n the odds so far.
My point is don't waste it on chasing better fuel economy or saving the earth when we cant' even save ourselves.
Enjoy the life you have, gas is cheap in the big picture.
IF you want to have a nice camper buy a Dodge Sprint. It's already big and fuel efficient.
As far as converting a gas car to diesel.... why?

timmyc4

TDI
2013 Passat, 2006 Jetta w/Malone, 97 Passat Sedan TDI, 88 Jetta N/A
Consider this on your Conversion Question/Consideration

Do you have a Family? How old are you?
The reason I ask these questions, is that gas is less than $3 a gallon IF you burn premium. How much is your time worth?
About 5 years ago I got the news I have TERMINAL Cancer, and trust me, IT CAN HAPPEN TO ANYONE ! They gave me 1 year. I've beat'n the odds so far.
My point is don't waste it on chasing better fuel economy or saving the earth when we cant' even save ourselves.
Enjoy the life you have, gas is cheap in the big picture.
IF you want to have a nice camper buy a Dodge Sprint. It's already big and fuel efficient.
As far as converting a gas car to diesel.... why? Don't re-invent the wheel.