Why wouldn't it start?

Chesta

Why wouldn\'t it start?

You might have seen my post in the power enhancement forum about my brother in law and myself attempting to build a custom cold air intake for his 1999.5 TDI Golf. I decided to do a little test, I wanted to see if the car pulled any harder with less restriction of air into the intake flange of the turbo. So what I did was disconnect the stock intake tube and removed the bolt that holds it in place allowing it to swing out of the way, leaving a free and clear path for air to flow directly into the turbo.

The car wouldn't start. I hooked everything back up and it fired right up... I'm wondering why it wouldn't run with the intake tube disconnected. I realize the air going into the turbo was bypassing a sensor or two (air temp etc.) but it should still run right? The throttle body is between the turbo compressor and the intake manifold so everything from the turbo on out to the air filter should be at atmospheric pressure. Therefore disconnecting the tube wouldn't change anything.

Someone tell me what I'm missing, why wouldn't it start?

Thanks,
Chet

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
Re: Why wouldn\'t it start?

Hmmm.. MAF sees no air flowing. ECU thinks the intake is plugged up(?) which would nuke turbo. Just a guess.