Seat - Airbag Warning Light

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 5-Speed, 2003, White
The other day I found a rather large spring under the passenger front seat. The spring is ~10" long, ~3/4" coil and made of ~1/8" round steel. I looked under the drivers seat and found it appears to do nothing more then to give resistance when someone tries to rotate the knob backwards to lean the seat back.

I took out the passenger seat to try to re-install the spring. Upon pulling the seat out I quickly noticed the metal post the spring hooks onto was sheared off and there was no way I was going to be able to re-install the spring. It really does not seem to effect the performance of the seat in any major way. Anyone know differently?

Then I re-installed the seat back into the car, but I forgot to clip the three wire connectors under the seat. When I started the car the Air Bag Warning light came on. I stopped the car and reconnected the three wire connectors, but the Air Bag Warning light is still on. :confused:

Will this reset itself, or do I need to find someone with a Vag-Com to reset it?

Thanks for your help in advance.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Spring & air bag light

Sorry to say if you had done a search on seat spring you would have found it is common for the mount to break. :eek: Most people throw spring away and thus save about 1/2 lb in weight to carry!
As for air bag light, you will need someone with VagCom/VCDS to clear code.:mad:You could try autozone or advance auto parts & have them read cel codes. Then ask them which button is it that you can press to erase codes. They can not press it themselves. Not sure if there equipment will do it or not.

Last edited:

rgi

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta
autozone just has standard issue OBD-II scanners - they can't clear the airbag light

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Air bag light

rgi said:
autozone just has standard issue OBD-II scanners - they can't clear the airbag light
Then you will need dealer or someone with VagCom/VCDS to clear light. I have cleared light but some versions of VagCom (not sure it was a pirated one) will not clear it.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
If you have cleared the airbag warning using VCDS, can you post a quick note as to which module to go into in VCDS to find it and reset?