Diy Vagcom?

quipstad

Veteran Member
TDI
99.0 NB
Sorry for the double-post, but I guess I don't understand why it's so expensive. I can find an OBDII to USB or Serial interface cable for like fifteen bucks. And supposedly the software is free. So why is Ross-Tech selling these things for close to $300?

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
The $15 cable only works with early versions of vag-com and it isn't free, the license is something like $100. The newer versions are faster, have more features, work on more cars, and the interface acts as a dongle for the license.

quipstad

Veteran Member
TDI
99.0 NB
Lets say I already have Vag-Com software (409.1 release). Are you saying that if I buy a cheap 3rd-party OBDII interface cable, it probably won't work with my software?

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
If you have it and you bought the license then I would think it would work. But, the software is up for download so if it isn't licensed then it really doesn't help much.

Toby_B

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 audi tt alh swap, 2014 chevy cruze diesel that replaced 2012 jetta tdi, 2008 dodge cummins
i bought a cheap ebay cable and had a hard time getting it to comunicate with the vag com software, i had to do some hunting for a driver to make it work. it has been a couple years, but no problems since.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
quipstad said:
Sorry for the double-post, but I guess I don't understand why it's so expensive. I can find an OBDII to USB or Serial interface cable for like fifteen bucks. And supposedly the software is free. So why is Ross-Tech selling these things for close to $300?

Ross-Tech IS selling them cheap. It compares (favorably, I might add) to dealer scanners that cost well over $2500.

The newer cables incorporate a dongle that is the license for the software and include free download upgrades.

If you find a TDI GURU without a VCDS, you have found a bogus guru.. HEH

Bill

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
I built a cable myself using these plans over five years ago and it still works great!
http://www.planetfall.com/cms/content/opendiag-obd-ii-schematics-pcb-layout

This opto-coupler based adapter only works with version VAG-COM version 311.2 which is still available from Ross-Tech:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/download/archives.html

You can download the software, test it with the cable, then Register for $99 to unlock all the features:
http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VSWR&Category_Code=VAGCOM

The free software is OBDII generic stuff, which does not seem to work with this cable even tho VAG-COM says it finds an OBDII compliant cable. There is nothing like VAG-COM however and no I will not build you a cable. :)

edit: ALSO WORKS WITH VCDS-Lite!

Last edited:

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
In the grand scheme of professional-quality tools, I didn't balk at all at the $350 price for the Hex+Can USB cable. I bought the best cable at the time because it was future-proofing myself from having to buy another one later down the line (if I had opted for the cheaper, non-CAN cable).

The amount of things you can do with this tool is unbelievable. Especially with the newer CAN-capable cars (think Mk5).

I've spent more money for a set of basic metric wrenches... Snap-On flank drive pluses. After using them nearly every day on rusty/seized up cars in Michigan, I don't regret spending the big bucks at all. So well worth it. Makes my day easier.

Don't screw around when it comes to tools... especially when working on German cars :p

SeththeRuthless

TDI
A4 Jetta
quipstad said:
Is there a cheaper alternative for a $250 cable? Can I make my own?
The $250 you're spending isn't just for the cable; it's also for the license. The cable contains their own special electronics that allows the software to recognize that you bought a Ross-Tech license. They used to structure their licensing procedure like most software; you had a license code to unlock the software while the cable was nothing special. I vastly prefer the Cable/Dongle setup they have now since you can install the software on any computer you want and just plug the cable in and go. I hate keeping track of software licenses (like the Bentley manuals) and it makes switching/upgrading computers a pain.

I don't much respect people who try to trick their way around the licensing system. Ross-Tech employees have to feed their families too.

quipstad

Veteran Member
TDI
99.0 NB
SeththeRuthless said:
I don't much respect people who try to trick their way around the licensing system. Ross-Tech employees have to feed their families too.
I'm not tricking my way around the license. You can buy the license from their site for $99. If I do that and use my own interface, I still save $150 minus the cost of my interface. I was just wondering if anyone had any luck with interfaces other than the one included in the kit. When I said I have the software already, I didn't say it was registered. I'll still need a license to do anything other than test my cable. But saving over a hundred bucks is well worth a little hassle if it works. Hundred bucks goes a long way when you're broke.

Last edited:

checkerj

TDI
2011 BMW 335d
"Anything's possible, except skiing through a revolving door!"

Take a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Board_Diagnostics#EOBD

It tells you the pinouts for the ISO 15765 CAN standard. Now you just need to figure out the pinouts that correspond to the USB interface (or RS-232 serial interface), then load the appropriate drivers and test. :confused: I haven't started this yet because I'll probably just buy the cable for $32 buck from here anyway:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28526

However, these guys in Hong Kong appear to be running into supply issues. Looks like everything is backordered. Good Luck!!!

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
you can use certian features like logging meas blocks and stuff for free as a trial , the best thing is to try these with your cheap cable first as ross tech says on there website even if you have paid for a license sometimes the cheap cables have trouble using all of the vagcom functions and theres no comeback if you have bought a cheap cable

xone

banned
TDI
VW passat 1.9
quipstad said:
'cos people are mugs and big companies take the piss because normal people don't realise that you can do things cheaper.

NarfBLAST

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf 5MT
checkerj said:
Actually, I'm probably being a little too simplistic on my pinout approach. Based on this photo, it looks like there could be some additional logic required to make your own cable:
http://www.diydiagnostics.com/vagcommander_specs.htm
Yes, you need to convert voltages from 12V to 5V in the case of RS-232. In the case of USB you need to convert speed and protocol as well.

See my post number 8 for the simplest DIY cable.

chimaera

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Skoda Superb Combi CR170
My experience is yes, the 3rd party cables work with VAG-COM 409.1

Installation is not trivial - you will spend time messing around with drivers and usb settings. Most 3rd party USB cables use an embedded rs232-usb converter (usually based on an ftdi chipset) so you need to install drivers for that. If you're not handy with advanced hardware setup on windows, avoid these cables.

Licencing as another poster mentioned is a bit of a pain - the licence is tied to the computer. If you change computer, or even just reinstall Windows, you have to email Ross-Tech for a new activation code.

I have run into problems with data logging on my cable. There may be a simple reason for this, but I've not looked into it in any detail. The cable works on my car for scanning codes, adaptations, etc. I've had varying resutls on other VAG cars with it.

Basically if the 3rd party cable works for you, it's a good budget solution, but don't expect to be able to run a repair business with it. Ross Tech will give you a credit for the licence cost if you decide at a later stage to buy one of their interfaces, which is what I eventually plan to do when I am no longer unemployed.

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
i can build my own computers but my laptop ive had to reinstall windows and put in new drivers . but as ive lost my motherboard drivers ive been searching the internet for them got all of them but for some reason when i installed the usb 2 that you need to use vacom usb cables it wont accpept it or pick it up any idea where to get a driver for it or what i need to do. ive had it working befor but forgotthe steps i took

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm
That's the most popular USB-->Serial chips used by a lot of cable makers.

I designed, built and programmed my own cable and software last year. It works with standard OBD2 codes and protocols. Good for finding a basic issue in a basic car. The unit I made also works with VCDS and a lot of other software out there. My own software was nothing fancy, just a code lookup and a code clear.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
From what I understand the generic interfaces will only work with the early versions of the software up to 409.1 won't they?

So what you are paying $300 for is the latest version of the software, as well as the cable.

I don't know what the later versions can do that 409.1 can't though...

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
So you want to build your own cable and save money. This I understand. So are you going to spend years to develop the software to do the diagnostics? Uwe spent a long time developing the software and what you are paying for is R&D. While Uwe was developing the software he was being paid nothing. He then produces a great piece of software and the only way he can recoup the money is by selling you a license for his software. You are paying for a license not a cable.

I think if you want to build your own cable and want to complain, you should develop the software yourself too.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Curious Chris said:
So you want to build your own cable and save money. This I understand. So are you going to spend years to develop the software to do the diagnostics? Uwe spent a long time developing the software and what you are paying for is R&D. While Uwe was developing the software he was being paid nothing. He then produces a great piece of software and the only way he can recoup the money is by selling you a license for his software. You are paying for a license not a cable.

I think if you want to build your own cable and want to complain, you should develop the software yourself too.
Full offence intended, but that's stupid.

If he did not want to offer a shareware version, he didn't have to. But guess what.....He did.