RNS 510 FW issues

ChrisVWP

TDI
VW Passat 1.6TDi Bluemotion Estate, 2013
Hi all,

I updated the FW in my Passat B7's RNS510 to 6276 due to the fact I was getting the dreaded rebooting issue (loads splash screen, no audio or progress, reboots)

Now, herein is my issue: The dash display (MFD I think it is called) does not show the Nav or Auduio (Radio txt etc). Previously this was working, but it seems that either the update, or the long period of time the RNS wasn't working has somehow stopped the two from communicating.

I have googled (A LOT) and am struggling to find anything specific to my issue. I even tried loading the VIM firmware (by activation SW downgrade in the menu) no luck, get an error (013036 I think?)

Anyone have an idea of a fix?

Last edited:

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Hi all,

I updated the FW in my Passat B7's RNS510 to 6276 due to the fact I was getting the dreaded rebooting issue (loads splash screen, no audio or progress, reboots)

Now, herein is my issue: The dash display (MFD I think it is called) does not show the Nav or Auduio (Radio txt etc). Previously this was working, but it seems that either the update, or the long period of time the RNS wasn't working has somehow stopped the two from communicating.

I have googled (A LOT) and am struggling to find anything specific to my issue. I even tried loading the VIM firmware (by activation SW downgrade in the menu) no luck, get an error (013036 I think?)

Anyone have an idea of a fix?
No clue as to how to fix. But I can say with 1000% certainty, a vcds scan might tell us alot.
Maybe one of the adaptation options was disabled upon upgrading the firmware?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Thank you [emoji4]
I had a feeling it was going to be that.

I’ve been looking them up and the Ross tech is obviously the recommended unit.

But I have found this. Any idea if it’s any good?

http://www.vag-diagnostics.com/sales.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like a pirated knockoff. Definitely not recommended for obvious reasons. The not so obvious ones, are that Uwe and the rosstech posse are big contributers to the TDI community.
They are active members in this and other VW forums, sharing their wealth of knowledge for free in many cases. Not to mention, that when you buy the genuine cable you have their unlimited support when it comes to deep diagnosis, on a level that's hard to imagine or explain.

Simply put, it's almost like considering buying a pumpkin pie from Walmart rather than taking grandma's. They both say pumpkin, but only one is the real deal.

ChrisVWP

TDI
Ahh, so it’s not as licensed as they make out then. I read that it worked with VCDS and assumed it was properly affiliated, but for UK (when I search for Ross Tech it’s $ prices)

As much as I want to get to to the bottom of it. I may have to find someone near me who has the Ross Tech VCDS. I can imagine a dealer would cost me an arm and a leg (as much as the tool). This is all pretty new to me, but I am a very quick study and an engineer by trade, is it worth buying In the long run? And more importantly, I’m based in the UK, so assuming it’s supported here too?

Regards,
Chris

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Ahh, so it’s not as licensed as they make out then. I read that it worked with VCDS and assumed it was properly affiliated, but for UK (when I search for Ross Tech it’s $ prices)

As much as I want to get to to the bottom of it. I may have to find someone near me who has the Ross Tech VCDS. I can imagine a dealer would cost me an arm and a leg (as much as the tool). This is all pretty new to me, but I am a very quick study and an engineer by trade, is it worth buying In the long run? And more importantly, I’m based in the UK, so assuming it’s supported here too?

Regards,
Chris
As far as I know, the only vcds licensed stuff comes from Ross tech.

Yes they support everywhere.

And yes it is highly recommend in the long run to purchase. You can use for diagnosing, adaptation i.e. upgrade feature and certain maintenance to do properly I e. Fuel filter change to prime the pumps.

ChrisVWP

TDI
Thank you, sandmansans.
I’ll get saving!

BRIAN427COBRA

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 2015 Passat SEL
Go to Cartoys,Cruthfield, or any place else and buy a new head unit with Apple/Droid CarPlay, Waze, and enjoy something that actually works

ChrisVWP

TDI
Go to Cartoys,Cruthfield, or any place else and buy a new head unit with Apple/Droid CarPlay, Waze, and enjoy something that actually works

The head unit does actually work. The only feature that doesn’t is the dash display of the Nav instructions and audio info. Not to mention not needing to get an adaptor to allow the reversing camera and parking sensors to work if I did get a new head unit [emoji3525] unless that’s changed.

BRIAN427COBRA

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 2015 Passat SEL
Well at some point you'll get an aftermarket head unit or suffer with the RNS510, all together my Kenwood was less than 800 bucks installed, steering wheel controls work, backup camera works, voice commands work, MFD display works, being a professional mechanic has its advantages, I fix 737s for a living, the install was all plug n play and not hard at all.

Last edited: