Jetta 5 2.0TDI beeping instrument cluster and flashing cluster lights. HELP PLEASE!!!

B40RK@D

TDI
Jetta 5 2.0 TDi
Hi there

I have a Jetta 5 2.0 TDI and up until recently, I have loved the car.
In Jan on my way back from a holiday, the car instrument cluster lights (ABS, Handbrake, ESP and Power Steering) started to flash and it would beep 3 times. I had the car checked out and I was told the Alternator needs replacing, had that done and the battery replaced as well.

Now the car still does the same thing. :confused:
I have also found that when I put on all lights, interior fan and rev it up to about 3000rpm, the car starts to sort of mis fire or stutter and the lights flicker like something is wrong.

I have checked fuses, and relay but still no joy.

Could some please help me and tell me what might be the problem?

Stutgart

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
"Now the car still does the same thing." Days later? The same day? A year later?

If it is like the next day, you should ask whoever told you that the alternator was bad?
Don't you think?

Barring going back, then you might try checking each fuse for a crack or voltage drop. Start with the larger amperage ones first, and wiggle the fuse as you check.

B40RK@D

TDI
Jetta 5 2.0 TDi
Thanks for your response Stutgart, It has been almost a month that the alternator and battery was replaced.

I have checked all fuses 3 times now including what you recommend I do.

I suspect it could be the ECU, would this be possible?
The alternator does not charge the battery from time to time though, just like the old one used to do. That is why they recommended I replace the alternator.

Stutgart

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
The ECU would be last on the list.

What year is your car?

Do you know what engine model code?

You could have a fault that is slowly drawing down the battery, yielding what looks like a charging circuit fault. Not to say that there is no fault on the charging circuit, yet. Search this site for a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB), originally posted by Member Henrick if I am not mistaken, that shows how to test each fuse for voltage drop with a corresponding grid of acceptable milliamp drop.

Do you have an amp meter that reads in milliamps? You could simply read your draw on your battery at rest with your system "asleep" to see if it exceeds about 40 milliamp or so. You should do this first. Also, closely inspect battery cables and connections as well as the larger red cables on the front of the fuse/relay box located under the hood near the battery.

Where was your car assembled? SA?

B40RK@D

TDI
Jetta 5 2.0 TDi
Its a 2007 with a BKD engine code. I think it was assembled in SA but I recall seeing either a made in Spain or Mexico stamp a few places.

Yes I have a multimeter which reads in milliamps.

I will check up with the TSB, I recall seeing it yesterday, I will find it again though.

Yesterday evening when I went to start the car, I switched the ignition on and the cluster switched off and wouldnt come on again like the battery was dead and when I tried starting, it didnt swing but made the dead battery sound (The clucking). I opened the hood and switched the key on and I had cluster lights and then the car started like nothing was wrong.

I asume it could be a loose cable or its not making contact somewhere.
I will check it out and let you know.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

thirty3

TDI
1.9tdi
Check all earth points are good. I dont know where they all are though...lol

B40RK@D

TDI
Jetta 5 2.0 TDi
Well, I've tried everything I possibly could adn I now have given up.
I have booked the car in for next Wednesday the 25th of March to have it checked out at VW. I guess I will have to wait and see what they say....

hardyt

TDI
'10 JSW
What was the solution? I have the same problems. However, the lights started after I removed the replaced the steering wheel (I was replacing the instrument cluster). The power drain seems to be happening, for a month now, but I haven't investigated since I've been dealing with the cluster.

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Hardyt, use the tsb, and a bentley if you have one. Follow it exactly, tricking the car into sleep mode so you can find the voltage drop across the fuses.