Anyone else having tire/vibration issues?

pinkertonfloyd

Veteran Member
TDI
14' Subie Outback FMR: 12' Jetta TDI/P+N
So, I bought mine a few weeks ago, when I got it, I noticed that there was a slight vibration, I figured it was from it being cold, and sitting (flat spotting), but it didn't get better. So I took it to the dealer, and asked them to look at it, told them it was vibrating at about 40-50mph, and that it needs to be rebalanced.

They responded that they "test drove vehicle unable to duplicate"...

Problem is still there, and I made another appointment to get a rattle fixed (a second time), but I figured I'd get a 2nd opinion, so I took my car down to Americas Tires, and PAID for a Road Force Matched Balance, and took them up on getting certs on the tires. (If your car is new, they basically offer this, which is a great deal if you are like me and get a lot of nails in tires =-). Anyhow, they put it on their Hunter 9700 "Road Force" machine, and ALL FOUR TIRES came up as "Out of Round", in fact so much out of round that they can't balance the tires or correct it with their machines (.20, .22, .24, and .46in is what they told me). Basically, they're going to call Continental on Monday and get some replacement tires.

Anyhow, wondering if anyone else is having an issue. The Manager at the store said he's never seen all four tires be off like that... usually it's just one. It's as if there's a bad lot of tires at the factory.

On monday I'm taking the car to the dealer for my wiper (it hits the fender and cowl), and rattles (Passenger door and cluster, and rear), I'm going to tell them what America's Tires told me, I'm also going to hit them up for the $71 labor fee to have America's Tires do it, and the cost for the Road Force Match balance ($30/tire).

Personally, I feel I gave the dealer a chance to fix it, and well, they didn't bother, and IMHO tires are a SAFETY issue you don't screw with.

NorthernMage

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 6MT, Platinum Grey
My tires were BridgeStone Turanza's and I haven't had a single issue with them but haven't exceeded 100 Mph yet, up to the mid 90s they are smooth though. They seem to change tires each year, used to be Hankook Optimos which I would have liked...

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
Just be aware when you talk to the dealer that tires including mounting, balancing and alignments are specifically excluded from the new vehicle limited warranty.

You should have a specific manufacturer's tire warranty included with your owners manual that would be applicable. You should read it since the warranty may be different that what Bridgestone offers. Bridgestone covers 100% for the first 25% of tread wear or the first 12 months. The dealer should have found the issue and got the tires replaced for you free of charge including M&B charges from Continental.

Charrigan

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
No manufacturer will cover install fees for a warranty claim. If 4 tires are out of round then typically it's from a vehicle sitting in the same spot without moving for a extended period of time. Most auto manufacturers have highly sophisticated balancers and will catch even minor issues before leaving the factory.

I'm not a huge fan of the pro contacts. They are good tires but they really don't do anything really well other than being quiet. I would suggest taking whatever credit you get back and apply it do a better brand and model tire.

(I am a manager at a Discount Tire)

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
No manufacturer will cover install fees for a warranty claim. If 4 tires are out of round then typically it's from a vehicle sitting in the same spot without moving for a extended period of time. Most auto manufacturers have highly sophisticated balancers and will catch even minor issues before leaving the factory.

I'm not a huge fan of the pro contacts. They are good tires but they really don't do anything really well other than being quiet. I would suggest taking whatever credit you get back and apply it do a better brand and model tire.

(I am a manager at a Discount Tire)
I also had Discount Tire tell me that I had to pay for the TPMS kit for IIRC $8.50 a tire or they wouldn't install MXV4s on my TDI. So I went to Costco and purchased the tires where they very rarely need to do anything with the TPMS and if anything needs replaced it's usually just a gasket for IIRC $0.50. :D

Here's Michelins normal warranty and Continentals OE warranty:
A tire which becomes unserviceable due to a condition covered by this
workmanship and materials limited warranty will be replaced with a
comparable new MICHELIN® tire, free of charge, when 2/32nds of an inch
(1.6mm) or less of the original tread is worn, (or 25% or less, whichever is
more beneficial to the user) and within 12 months of the date of purchase.​
Mounting and balancing of the tire is included.
Free Replacement Period:
If an eligible Continental brand passenger or light truck tire becomes
unserviceable from a condition other than those listed under Section
3 during the first 12 months or first 2/32nds of an inch (1.6mm)
of treadwear (whichever comes first) it will be replaced with a
comparable new Continental brand tire FREE OF CHARGE, including
mounting and balancing. Owner pays all applicable taxes.
Bridgestone OE and non OE free replacement includes M&B. Yes, Continental apparently will not cover installation on tires during the free replacement period other than OE.

I don't want to check any others but I'd say 3 strikes and your out. Your statement about "No manufacturer will cover ..." is simply wrong.

You know what this looks like to me - charge whatever you can get the customer to pay.:eek:

Charrigan

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
I also had Discount Tire tell me that I had to pay for the TPMS kit for IIRC $8.50 a tire or they wouldn't install MXV4s on my TDI. So I went to Costco and purchased the tires where they very rarely need to do anything with the TPMS and if anything needs replaced it's usually just a gasket for IIRC $0.50.

Costco is wrong. Every time a tire is removed from the wheel the TPMS is supposed to be dropped into the wheel before dismounting. The TPMS grommet nut and washers are ONE TIME USE. I rarely see my competitors actually rebuilding these which cause many issues down the road once the nut or stem starts to corrode.
BTW the TPMS rebuild kit is $4.50 per sensor. Pretty cheap for preventative maintenance.

You know what this looks like to me - charge whatever you can get the customer to pay.
I did NOT come into this thread to have you question my integrity or the company I work for. I simply posted my opinion on the matter. I would love to see what the OP would be told by a competitor of mine. My bet is they would not even attempt to offer any sort of adjustment credit at all.

I deal with every manufacturer on a daily basis getting approval for adjustment credits for customers. I can remember only one time where the manufacturer covered mounting and balancing and that was completely due to the customer calling and complaining to the manufacturer about the amount of credit they were receiving.

Ride complaints are a completely different adjustment process and do not fall into "unserviceable tire". Go back to the Continental Tire OE warranty sheet and read Section 3 as to what is not covered. An unserviceable tire is related to tire failures like belt separations, bead separations, delaminated sidewalls etc. issues that make the vehicle unsafe to drive due to the potential of a tire failing. A vibration or noise issue 9 times out of 10 are not even the manufacturers fault.

Last edited:

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
No need to try to find outs. As "an expert in the tire industry" you statments are viewed as fact not opinion unless otherwise noted. People are reading these posts and need accurate statements from "the experts." The premise obviously is that there is a defect in the tire and not a customer ride complaint. Had you said most, many, some, I'd accept the statement, but not NO.

Actually I think Costco was $2.50 for the rebuild kit but I know Discount quoted a lot more than $4.50. EDIT: Current total price check at local DT tire for TPMS for is quoted at $8 per tire. The summary shows the TPMS kit as optional which was not the case when I went to purchase the tires in June 2011. Tire prices are virtually the same at Costco and DT for the MXV4s. DT Disposal and M&B = $18.50. Costco is $15 which includes prorated road hazard for 60 months or until tread is 2/32 which occurs first. If you want road hazard at DT it's $23 per tire with no proration for 30 months or until the tread is 3/32 which ever occurs first. Bottom line you'll pay more at DT with or without the TPMS kit.

I would think that a tire shop should fight for the customer to get what the warranty entitles the customer to receive and if the tire shop cannot find a defect than so be it. The customer can always get a second opinion which is what the OP did. But if the shop knows and understands the warranty and the customer is entitled to free M&B, the shop is doing an injustice if it does not tell the customer what is going on.

There's a lot of controversy on whether the TPMS kit is needed or not. Sometimes yes and sometimes no. But to insist a kit must be purchased (like Discount Tire did) for a tire change is not true. This organization seems reputable.

"Unseat beads and demount tire from rim being careful not to damage sensor, or remove sensor from rim. If the sensor is removed for any reason, the grommet, o-ring, or seal must be replaced and the new hex nut torqued to specification. If the sensor is not removed, the hex nut should be checked for proper torque and any possible leak."

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
-Charrigan, regarless of which is the correct way, you show a storng understanding and pride in what you do, if you can instill that for your workers, i'd gladly give you my business if you were near.

I opted for the cheapest route when i tried to have a plug done, the shop did dismount the tire from the rim and plug it from the inside, sadly they weren't paying attention during the dismount/remount and gouged my rim with ring from the tire changer. Once I pointed it out that no my rim didn't have that ring when i brought it in, we set the rim on the tire changer and the gouge lined right up with the bead seporator. He coughed up $100 for me to either repair my rim or buy a new one outright, he didn't charge for the plug.

If I knew of a better shop I would have gone there to avoid the head ache to begin with.

DruzTdiCup

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG Tech 2010 Candy White Sportwagen TDI DSG pano
My issue was a bent wheel so I experienced this traveling back from taking vehicle home out of state. After that they did nothing and I contacted Corporate Customer service and they said I must deal w/ dealer. This went no where expecially over Xmas and I then used a local wheel shop repairing/trueing the wheel back and balancing that was reommended from my servicing dealer. Might not be your case but thought I would share my "pain."

pinkertonfloyd

Veteran Member
TDI
VW has basically said "it's Continental's problem".

America's Tires calls Continental, and they said it's from the car sitting and the dealers fault. But... Americas Tire did get them to credit them for the Tires, and upgraded me to the ExtremeContract DWS (which is a much better rated tire). Road-Force Balanced, and the car rides sooooooo much better now.

Had to pay the $71 labor... it sucks that for Customer Service reason VW didn't stand by the problem. Continental Rep basically said, dealers are supposed to rotate stock for this reason. Car was built in July... I'm in California, bought the car on New Years Eve.

Basically Disappointed in VW, very happy with America's Tires. On the bright side there's no question with the warranty now, and I have the Certificates for the tires, so for the most part, the tires are good til they are worn down.

The issue with VW is 1) They sold me the car, 2) They are a Continental Dealer, they could of handled the work that America's Tires did, they could of made the claim, and IMHO could of just done the mount and balance. Which basically "costs" the dealers about $10-15 to do. The car was three weeks old, and 800 miles on it. It wasn't like it was a year old and now I was making a claim. I brought the issue up 5 days after purchasing the vehicle.

Cesar

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW Jetta Highline TDI
You did good congrats on the victory :), next time go to another VW dealership maybe you will get better service and less headaches.

pinkertonfloyd

Veteran Member
TDI
You did good congrats on the victory :), next time go to another VW dealership maybe you will get better service and less headaches.
Yeah, problem is I switched to VW from Audi, and partly was because the Audi Dealer treated me poorly (and took forever to get your car in, and it was across town). The Local VW Dealer had a good reputation, but yeah... I've not getting the full warm and fuzzy on this, although they've been good on the other issues I've had.

And of course the other VW dealer, is the Audi Dealer I used to deal with.

pinkertonfloyd

Veteran Member
TDI
I also had Discount Tire tell me that I had to pay for the TPMS kit for IIRC $8.50 a tire or they wouldn't install MXV4s on my TDI. So I went to Costco and purchased the tires where they very rarely need to do anything with the TPMS and if anything needs replaced it's usually just a gasket for IIRC $0.50.

Costco is wrong. Every time a tire is removed from the wheel the TPMS is supposed to be dropped into the wheel before dismounting. The TPMS grommet nut and washers are ONE TIME USE. I rarely see my competitors actually rebuilding these which cause many issues down the road once the nut or stem starts to corrode.
BTW the TPMS rebuild kit is $4.50 per sensor. Pretty cheap for preventative maintenance.

You know what this looks like to me - charge whatever you can get the customer to pay.
I did NOT come into this thread to have you question my integrity or the company I work for. I simply posted my opinion on the matter. I would love to see what the OP would be told by a competitor of mine. My bet is they would not even attempt to offer any sort of adjustment credit at all.

I deal with every manufacturer on a daily basis getting approval for adjustment credits for customers. I can remember only one time where the manufacturer covered mounting and balancing and that was completely due to the customer calling and complaining to the manufacturer about the amount of credit they were receiving.

Ride complaints are a completely different adjustment process and do not fall into "unserviceable tire". Go back to the Continental Tire OE warranty sheet and read Section 3 as to what is not covered. An unserviceable tire is related to tire failures like belt separations, bead separations, delaminated sidewalls etc. issues that make the vehicle unsafe to drive due to the potential of a tire failing. A vibration or noise issue 9 times out of 10 are not even the manufacturers fault.
I just want to state on here (the thread got jacked a bit). That America's Tires/Discount Tires REALLY went to the bat for me, and I never expected them to cover the mounting. In fact since THEY took the time for a walk-in that didn't get the tires from them to call Continental, and state the case, and get me into better tires under warranty. The manager documented everything, and even signed the "diagnosis" and put his direct number on it so that I could make my case to VW to reimburse, and was willing to have VW call him directly.

THAT'S Service, and really, I've always gotten this consistent top notch service from America's Tires in the past.

Now on the TPMS, still that price (and there's different companies that make the parts) is less than most tire stores. I know one don't the street that charged $24.95 PER TIRE for a TPMS kit. Yes, you might be replacing a 50 cent part, but really, it's a safety item, and for the few bucks to replace everything to new... why not.

And my dig at Costco... long time Costco customer, but unless your Costco has different prices than mine, mine runs about 20% higher than America's Tires for similar (for some reason Costco has "special" models, but the specs can be crossed over). Basically, I'd rather pay a couple bucks for TPMS sensors when I'm saving ten times as much overall =-).

You are correct on Continental's warranty, and that was my point with VW, VW Mounted them in the first place, and IMHO VW needed to cover that.

Personally, I figured that when I hit the VW dealer with this issue with the data from America's tires, they were going to say "Okay, tell you what, we'll replace the tires for you". But instead they "It's Continentals fault". But really, it most likely was 100% VW's/Dealers issue for not rotating their stock. (that's why you have Porters guys!)

Charrigan

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
I'm glad your happy and I'm very happy you were taken care of. The dws is a great tire and the only downside is that it's slightly louder than what you took off. I would rather have more confidence in bad weather than a super quiet tire.

Thank you for bringing your business to Discount Tire

pinkertonfloyd

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm glad your happy and I'm very happy you were taken care of. The dws is a great tire and the only downside is that it's slightly louder than what you took off. I would rather have more confidence in bad weather than a super quiet tire.

Thank you for bringing your business to Discount Tire
Besides, it covers up the sounds of rattles in the car!

TOBarber

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf SportWagon, 2012, dark gray
I just picked up a new Golf TDI Wagon with a similar vibration on the highway. It may be tires, but I am thinking engine. It is in the seats, so if tires, would be the rear. Tires are Bridgestone. Could be motor mounts bad or stressed from installation. Could be due to fuel line vibration. At idle there is a definite vibration on the motor cover. Is this normal? I am also getting a lot of DPF regen. The idle is at 1000 quite often. Thinking aloud.

pinkertonfloyd

Veteran Member
TDI
I just picked up a new Golf TDI Wagon with a similar vibration on the highway. It may be tires, but I am thinking engine. It is in the seats, so if tires, would be the rear. Tires are Bridgestone. Could be motor mounts bad or stressed from installation. Could be due to fuel line vibration. At idle there is a definite vibration on the motor cover. Is this normal? I am also getting a lot of DPF regen. The idle is at 1000 quite often. Thinking aloud.
I'd check tires first. Hopefully you have a dealer that'll do it for you, if not hunt out a decent tire shop, and to really check it, use the finder on this website. http://www.gsp9700.com/ that's for the hunter Road Force Balancer, which (when used properly) can diagnose and many times fix vibration issues.

Yes, diesels will vibrate, but nothing you should be feeling in the seat, especially if it comes and goes at certain speeds. (IE: You feel it from 40MPH to 50MPH, but it's smooth outside those speeds). Basically to test the Engine vs tires, if the vibration occurs at speed, then it's tires, if it's at a certain RPM (shift gears but hold speed), then it's engine.

spanky1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2012, platinum grey(6-spd manual)
A little less than 3 years ago, I purchased a 2012 6-speed manual Jetta that was one of the buyback cars. The car still had the original Hankook tires on it. These were pretty slick, and my friend that owns the tire store told me that the tires still had tread, but they were hard, likely due to age.

I used Continental on my previous TDI(2003 Jetta), and always had decent performance. This time, I put the TrueContact touring tire on my 2012. After a couple of days, I noticed that I had a bad vibration, but not all the time. It seemed to rear it's head ~40mph, and would be gone ~50mph. Since the tires have the 30 day test drive guarantee, I used them for 3 weeks, before taking them back.

The dealer ordered a new set, and based on comments on this forum, I made sure they were using a road force balancer. He told that all his tires are road force balanced. My new set has the exact issue at the same speed. I took them back for a re-balance, and it's still there, and very noticeable. I don't recall the Hankooks doing this.

Is there something in the drivetrain that could do this? On several occasions, I've pressed the clutch in while it's rolling and vibrating, and it has no effect.

Any ideas? The car is still under the VW warranty for a couple months, but I don't want to throw away $50.

dhuddleson

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Highline TDI sedan
Just a thought... are you still running factory VW wheels? If not, aftermarket wheels should have correct center bore (hole) size to fit snugly on the hubs. There is that outside chance you could have a wheel therefore with a slight off-center placement when the lug bolts are tightened down. I think it is unlikely, but worth verifying... (the lug bolts should actually center the wheel when tightened)