Sold- 2016 A6 Prestige - Ownership Log

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
I think with your set-up the smoke is there to stay unfortunately....

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 TDI S-Line + Black Optics Package
That’s awesome man! I am stage 2+ plus and I don’t blow any black smoke; I’m also catless. I’ve only once noticed a smalllll amount of black smoke when I floored it a few weeks ago and the smoke only came out when I stepped on the pedal- then disappeared for the rest of the pull.

Just to contribute my personal fuel routines to this thread: I don’t use biodiesel; I typically use 76, shell, or chevron diesel and I also add some Stanadyne performance diesel additive on every fill up. My dad uses Stanadyne on his diesel and swears by it. Try regular diesel #2 and some diesel additive. Glad you like the recent mods man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 -- 2008 Mercedes ML 320 CDI
That’s awesome man! I am stage 2+ plus and I don’t blow any black smoke; I’m also catless. I’ve only once noticed a smalllll amount of black smoke when I floored it a few weeks ago and the smoke only came out when I stepped on the pedal- then disappeared for the rest of the pull.

Just to contribute my personal fuel routines to this thread: I don’t use biodiesel; I typically use 76, shell, or chevron diesel and I also add some Stanadyne performance diesel additive on every fill up. My dad uses Stanadyne on his diesel and swears by it. Try regular diesel #2 and some diesel additive. Glad you like the recent mods man!

Smoke has definitely lightened up. The shop did not block off the EGR. It has been tuned out. I'm wondering if a block off plate will help the smoke?

I'm going to go the Diesel #2 route exclusively. Currently we have Hotshot Diesel Extreme additive because we were dosing a bit of that in the Mercedes CDI once a month. I'll check out the Standadyne. I know VW was recommending it.

As far as the car, I can't believe it runs even smoother then it did after the first tune and DPF still in. I cannot feel any shifts under WOT throttle with the new Stage 2 ECU tune and updated TCU tune. This past weekend did a trip 720 miles completed on one fill up. There were about 60 miles of stop and go thrown in. I think I could do 800 miles on a tank if it was all highway.

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm wondering if a block off plate will help the smoke?

As far as the car, I can't believe it runs even smoother then it did after the first tune and DPF still in. I cannot feel any shifts under WOT throttle with the new Stage 2 ECU tune and updated TCU tune. This past weekend did a trip 720 miles completed on one fill up. There were about 60 miles of stop and go thrown in. I think I could do 800 miles on a tank if it was all highway.

That’s awesome man. I think I have the EGR block off plate on my Q5 so that might be one of the reasons I don’t get as much smoke- to be honest though, I have no idea if that’s why. I do know that the mileage is insane on these diesels with the deletes. I’m considering making a road trip to the Chicago area with my wife this summer to get that TCU tune done! It sounds like it’s worth it if it’s reliable. Glad to hear your exhaust smoke is getting better- Keep us updated!

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Well learning that once you start tinkering you might run into some problems. Noticed after work yesterday I had a clear liquid that was crystallizing under the car. Drip was fairly consistent. To this morning seeing it really dried up on the undertray. Is this an Adblue leak? We only did a dpf delete. Waiting to hear back from the shop. No warning lights thought the Adblue was tuned out.

How corrosive is this stuff should I be washing the bottom of the car off in the meantime? Debating to jack the car up and pull the undertray off while I wait. Not what I want to be doing on my day off of work :/

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Looks like DEF fluid leaking from the DEF injector port. Did they not delete the DEF with your tune?
Wash it off with a hose.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like DEF fluid leaking from the DEF injector port. Did they not delete the DEF with your tune?
Wash it off with a hose.
The kit was a Buzzken DPF delete. It does not delete the EGR or DEF.
https://www.tunemyeuro.com/dpf-delete-for-audi-q5-a6/

From my understanding we just tuned out the EGR/DEF. I've been wondering if keeping the EGR intact has allowed the car to warm up as normal but also creates more smoke. I have had no loss of heat when running the heater which I felt was odd. At the same time this could be causing more smoke to be emitted as well?

Seeing as I'm not the most mechanically inclined. It took me a bit to get the under tray off but I have finally gotten there after picking up the right tools. Trying to be proactive. Here is what I found.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Drained the Adblue out. Should of been done from the start. Seems it leaked from the connector that was disconnected.

I'm wondering if more should be done to remove completely though...

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Update 2 months after delete. Still waking up everyday on my way to work with a smile on my face when I jump in to drive this car.

Smoke: Has come way down. Besides filling up only with ULSD #2 (no biodiesel) I've added Stanadyne to my repertoire when filling up switching between the fuel injector cleaner and the performance variant. Saved money ordering a costco sized amount of it that I don't worry to much about adding a little in at each fill up. I only smoke heavy on WOT runs. Hard acceleration barely produces a puff where I doubt any drivers notice it at this point.

MPG: City driving is consistently 28 mpg. I've yet to fill up without going over 500 miles on a tank. Very happy. Highway mpg is 37 to 38 mpg easily. If I put the cruise on 70 mph then I'm doing 40 mpg.

I'll be getting an oil change soon. The car is about to hit 40k in miles Anyone have recommendations for additional maintenance that might be worth getting done now that the car is setup properly? Fuel Filter? Obviously air/cabin filters.

Always appreciate the advice

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Loving this build so far!

Look forward to seeing how this progresses :)

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Huskies,

Can you comment specifically on the pricing? I live in mass and have to keep the DPF like your orig build out. I do have the malone stage 2 tune but it really doesn't feel as much different as i thought it might feel... wierd right?( its not that it feels slow... but i feel like i may have gained some power, but its' strange it like hits a limit or something sometimes and gets nerfed in the middle of a pull )

Anyways - I want to get some pricing about going to the shop you went to for the full custom dyno tuning, and TCU tune. I'd like to basically tell the guy, hey do to my Q5, what you did to his A6 pre-buzzken. I love that fact that not only did you get more kick but more MPG, and i need that for all the city driving i do.

I'm considering having my vehicle hotshotted to their shop from mass or something similar.

Thanks!

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Huskies,
Can you comment specifically on the pricing? I live in mass and have to keep the DPF like your orig build out. I do have the malone stage 2 tune but it really doesn't feel as much different as i thought it might feel... wierd right?( its not that it feels slow... but i feel like i may have gained some power, but its' strange it like hits a limit or something sometimes and gets nerfed in the middle of a pull )
Anyways - I want to get some pricing about going to the shop you went to for the full custom dyno tuning, and TCU tune. I'd like to basically tell the guy, hey do to my Q5, what you did to his A6 pre-buzzken. I love that fact that not only did you get more kick but more MPG, and i need that for all the city driving i do.
I'm considering having my vehicle hotshotted to their shop from mass or something similar.
Thanks!
Hey there Daemon here is a breakdown:
ECU Custom Stage 1 Tune (for keeping emissions equipment): $600
ECU Custom Stage 2 Tune (when deleting DPF/EGR/Adblue): $600
TCU Tune: $500
Combo TCU/ECU Package: $1k
Dyno Diagnostics: $150

As you notice, I sadly found this out the hardway. The tune is custom built depending on keeping or deleting emissions equipment. There is no "upgrade" pricing if going from Stage 1 to Stage 2 like you would with Malone/APR. Edits to the Stage you are at for less/more power are no cost besides shop time or new dyno testing if you choose.

The shop is APM Tuned in Villa Park, IL. I gave Ben (Shop Manager) a call to touch base and he said you do not need to do an ECU tune if you don't want to. They'll build the TCU tune around where your car is at with Malone.

Might be best to keep the Malone tune in case you need to make any ECU changes later on. Just my two cents. :cool:

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Not sure if you’ve seen this or care, but apparently 2016s can be upgraded to apple car play/android fairly easily. Take a look over in the audizine forums. And if you do this, please post your results.

Love this thread!

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Juson,

Are you talking about the RSNav?

https://rsnav.com/

I've been looking at these for a bit, and seen a lot of positive info on audizine about this setup... as it keeps all the audi stuff intact, but then puts the android unit ontop of it...

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes rnsnav. That thread seems pretty positive...
To Do List:
#1 Android Auto
#2 Summer Tire/Wheels Set
#3 Upgrade to RS6 grill

#1 Should be an easy sell to the wife for a combined December Birthday / Christmas present :cool:

I will add, I want to make sure I get the correct setup. The cheaper wireless setup might not work with my steering wheel functionality. Might have to go with a full replacement with an Android Auto Screen. Definitely going to check out Audizine to see what those guys are saying. My performance shop knows an electronics shop who they told me to talk with as well.

Last edited:

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Huskies,

I've seen the RSNav in action its pretty slick. I've read tons about that specific one and it seems the go to for replacement, as the part of the audi headunit is still intact and the RSNav andriod unit sits ontop of it. So it will switch its screen to the audi's radio at anytime you want so you keep B/O, steering controls, mmi, and etc... Then you get google maps / andriod auto ontop it through the andriod piece. Its' an interesting way to do it, and i kinda like it, maybe you will too.

( I'm planning on getting it something maybe december )

Here's one of someone w/ an A6 for your reference:
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/786722-RSNAV-CarPlay-installed-and-working!

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Huskies,

I've seen the RSNav in action its pretty slick. I've read tons about that specific one and it seems the go to for replacement, as the part of the audi headunit is still intact and the RSNav andriod unit sits ontop of it. So it will switch its screen to the audi's radio at anytime you want so you keep B/O, steering controls, mmi, and etc... Then you get google maps / andriod auto ontop it through the andriod piece. Its' an interesting way to do it, and i kinda like it, maybe you will too.

( I'm planning on getting it something maybe december )

Here's one of someone w/ an A6 for your reference:
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/786722-RSNAV-CarPlay-installed-and-working!
This is the part that has me worried about the steering wheel integration.

"- For C7, D4, B9 platform, mulit-function steering buttons are not supported now, due to CANBUS security measures placed by Audi. We are trying to find solution for C7, D4, and B9, but it seems very hard and risky to do so. Only MMI console would work for those models now. Nevertheless, 'touch pad' should work, and I am waiting for your input."

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
At work today, got stuck browsing Audizine. Never a good idea for the wallet.

About to get my 40k maintenance done, and found myself browsing this thread.
https://www.audizine.com/forum/show...Of-Doing-The-3-0TDI-Intercooler-Upgrade/page4

For those who have done the Intercooler upgrade. It seems like a no brainer to do this with a tuned TDI. Its technically not a full performance part but a nice upgrade that will do good for the car. This Nissen part is highly rated.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4011552&cc=3329255&jsn=627&jsn=627

$190 and an extra hour or two of shop time to take care of the car, turbo, and heat seems like a cheap purchase with high reward

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Huskies,

I think I’m living the same DEF issue that you had earlier.. I went to my garage and found:

I put my car on some ramps, looked under my car and found:

I halfway popped the tray off:

Can I ask what you did to clean up your mess and fix your problem? My dpf is deleted so I have I have no use for my DEF.. thanks man!

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Huskies,

Can I ask what you did to clean up your mess and fix your problem? My dpf is deleted so I have I have no use for my DEF.. thanks man!

Just drain it out. I took it over to my shop to have them double check it all and make sure it wasn't any other issue. Once drained I had a few residual drips the next few days. No issues since then. As long as your delete was done properly and DEF tuned out you should not get a CEL from the empty DEF tank. So keep that in mind.

Cleaning just some water and a brush. I popped the tray off, set it in the street, ran a hose with a sprayer to it, then sprayed and brushed. You will get all different kinds of residue coming off of it. DEF, Oil, whatever else you pick up from the street. So I would advise against doing it on your sidewalk or driveway. With the tray off I just sprayed the under carriage of the car. I have a drain that goes to the sewer in my garage.

It was a painstakingly slow process FYI. The tank holds a large amount of DEF. Just shy of 5 gallons. I think we started draining at noon and it finished about 5 hours later.

Hope it goes smoothly!

Last edited:

DieselDeeds

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks man, I’ll let you know how it goes!

Also-
I’m also looking to do an intercooler upgrade and after reading the part numbers and the forum link you attached in one of your posts above, I’m pretty sure that Nissen IC is a stock 3.0tdi size replica intercooler that a4 people were buying as an upgrade for their cars.. so if you bought that, it’d be the same size as our current one. Correct me if I’m wrong please but just be careful before you pull the trigger on that Nissen intercooler before measuring our stock size.

Last edited:

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks man, I’ll let you know how it goes!

Also-
I’m also looking to do an intercooler upgrade and after reading the part numbers and the forum link you attached in one of your posts above, I’m pretty sure that Nissen IC is a stock 3.0tdi size replica intercooler that a4 people were buying as an upgrade for their cars.. so if you bought that, it’d be the same size as our current one. Correct me if I’m wrong please but just be careful before you pull the trigger on that Nissen intercooler before measuring our stock size.
Wow, thank you for noticing that very important detail. This is why I ask for opinions.

I glazed right over that thinking the forum was talking about a TDI/Diesel/A6 and not a gas powered A4 using a TDI intercooler. I blocked that out of my mind while reading it seems....back to the drawing board

How did the draining go?

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Last edited:

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Huskies,

I would think so.... ( Also note that the nissan one is the identical size to the stock Q5 core, 720mm x 140mm x 80mm )

Here is the one for the B7 Platform( A4 )( 2.7 / 3.0 TDI ) Note the Core Size: 560mm x 230mm x 65 mm

https://www.darksidedevelopments.co...ercooler-fmic-for-audi-a4-b7-2-7-3-0-tdi.html

Then they one you noted is:
600mm x 300mm x 75mm ( or 13.5L if my math is correct )

And it specifically says it will fit from 2008 onward -- A5, A6, A6 Avant, A7, Q5 w/ the 3.0 TDI...

This thread: https://www.a5oc.com/threads/3-0tdi-intercooler-upgrade.149561/

talks about it, A6's and A5's.... mentions the toyosports intercooler which is identical in size to the darkside intercooler...

According to some research the Q5 tDI intercooler w/ 8K0145805AC part number is 720mm x 140mm x 80mm ( or 8L )

Here is the European SQ5 Intercooler which we know works for sure( pittdawg has it on his Q5 ):
https://www.drive2.com/l/456903157507687795/

720 x 180 x 80 ( Or 10L )

I hope this is helpful... I've been thinking about getting the darkside one, i read on another thread that if you message them they are quite responsive in getting back to you.... They have that intercooler on the A5 TDI which is currently tuned north of 425 BHP & Ridiculous torque....

Last edited:

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Huskies,

I hope this is helpful... I've been thinking about getting the darkside one, i read on another thread that if you message them they are quite responsive in getting back to you.... They have that intercooler on the A5 TDI which is currently tuned north of 425 BHP & Ridiculous torque....
Appreciate you doing the leg work on this. Very helpful!

My car is going in end of next week for its 40k maintenance. Letting the performance shop handle it since the fuel filter is due. I will be picking their brain a bit on options as well and I can share back. The Darkside option looks good!

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Anything I can do to help with my limited knowledge.... hahaha. Yeah let me know that sounds awesome. Thanks!

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Was wondering if anyone knows if this holds true.

With my DPF delete we did not block off or remove the EGR. It was tuned out. I reached out too both Buzzken/Rawtek and neither make an EGR block off plate for my A6 setup.

I was also told that because of the tune, "the valve is permanently closed"

With that in mind, do I not have to worry about the EGR getting gunked up over time? If at some point I need to put things back together, I want to know the EGR won't need to be replaced. I did keep all original DPF equipment if the time comes.