Put Snows on or wait till after trip.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Not sure when my snows should go on, I am in metro NY and it is getting cold, but I may have a trip to Myrtle beach in the next few weeks, do I wait until after that trip to put them on? Any downside to driving to Myrtle Beach on snows? Thanks for the advice.

misternoggin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
Downsides - snows wear faster in warm weather, and depending on type, don't handle as well.

For timing, I usually make the change when when temps are usually below 45 during the day or consistently hitting 32 at night.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
I have Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires. They're a Grand Touring All-Season, with about 30,000 miles on them. So far I have been happy with them on on my JSW, and will switch to snows until April or so.

What are you driving now?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I would take the MXM4s on the trip south and back.

are you a diy guy, or a take it to the shop guy?

and more important, do you have the snows on a dedicated set of wheels?

Last edited:

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Not sure when my snows should go on, I am in metro NY and it is getting cold, but I may have a trip to Myrtle beach in the next few weeks, do I wait until after that trip to put them on? Any downside to driving to Myrtle Beach on snows? Thanks for the advice.
Now.

considering it just snowed in Northern NJ on Thursday, and possibly more on Monday.... sounds like a good time to put on snows

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
If you swap now, it won't snow. If you swap when you get home, we will have a blizzard and I-95 will be amazing.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
I am not a DIY guy all thumbs here, but I do have a dedicated set of snows on different rims.

I would take the MXM4s on the trip south and back.

are you a diy guy, or a take it to the shop guy?

and more important, do you have the snows on a dedicated set of wheels?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Do you plan to change them out yourself? (just like changing a tire four times)

what kind of snows do you have?

Joe Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
Are you feeling lucky?
That's really the only question that matters. Is it worth it to save wear on unneeded snow tires, vs coming home in a blizzard?

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
I would have them change by my indie, this way I can store my all season tires at his shop, a huge plus as I do not have a garage, I have generals Altrax (?) snows one year old about 10K on them.

Do you plan to change them out yourself? (just like changing a tire four times)

what kind of snows do you have?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
AltiMAX Arctic?

I think you would be ok to have them put on before your trip south to SC. and back.

this would also get you out the line when you get back.

you also would be probably fine with the other tires for the mostly freeway trip. if it snows or you get ice, and this is close to thanksgiving, the traffic will be more of a hindrance than snows vs all season tires.

we are not talking minnesota

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Just put the snow tires on and have a safe trip. They might get a little unnecessary wear, but that's better than being stuck in a snowy/icy situation on I-95 and the turnpike with summer tires.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ask the wife what she thinks, and do the opposite. will give you something to talk about when it starts to snow.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
And we have the winner , thanks :D

ask the wife what she thinks, and do the opposite. will give you something to talk about when it starts to snow.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Priceless!

On the other hand, I put the snows onto her car a few weeks ago to avoid any potential issues.... but she's not my wife ;)