2010 Golf TDI Stage 2 For Sale?

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
Hey guys, I've got NJ inspection coming up in February and I know I won't pass right now. Leaving me with a few options.

• Find a buyer while it's stage 2 and sell as is
  • Set the car back to stock and sell it someone private
  • Set the car back to stock and trade it in
  • Set the car back to stock and drive it till it dies
  • Pray that a modification exists to pass NJ emissions without adding the DPF back

I look forward to hearing your input, snarky or not lol.

geodug

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Wagon TDI 6MT
I followed your project with interest and thought your home state was friendly to what you were doing.

Did something happen that you did not expect? ie: new emissions requirements

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
If you do put it back to stock, I call dibs on your 2Micron kit!! :D

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
I followed your project with interest and thought your home state was friendly to what you were doing.

Did something happen that you did not expect? ie: new emissions requirements
Nothing has changed, I hoped that within a year a solution to pass NJ emissions would have been found but alas 4 months till I need inspection and it hasn't been. Piss poor planning on my part so I don't feel bad, I knew it may come to this. I enjoyed my setup while I could, got about 63k on it without a hitch. Nearing 100k miles right now, not worried mechanically at all but I'll miss having my full delete so I'll probably be looking toward another TDI or a RWD gas sports car.

If you do put it back to stock, I call dibs on your 2Micron kit!! :D
I have the older variant of his kit, I'd sell that to you with a new filter if you'd want it.

Last edited:

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
i'm not from NJ (and don't have to deal with emissions testing) - what is the requirement? Do they check for a readiness code? Do they test the exhaust?

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
i'm not from NJ (and don't have to deal with emissions testing) - what is the requirement? Do they check for a readiness code? Do they test the exhaust?
They check readiness which I won't pass on a couple values. I think if I put my egr back on I may pass but I'd also fail visual (if they even look) until I make a faux cat cover.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
PM me also I may have a solution for you as well.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
Spoke with my main dude for tuning (Less @ Diesel Dubs soon to be German Motorwerks I believe), here's the skinny. There is a way to pass readiness values. It involves flashing the ECU with the stock flash that contains good values then flashing again with the tune. Then your good to go unless you reset your ECU's values then the process needs to be repeated.

I can go back to stock for 350$ on the exhaust. But if that happens I'll be selling or trading it in. Also I'd be swapping the eibach pro suspension back to stock and everything else excluding the tails because I don't have those lol.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
How much?...lol..
300$ is him swapping the exhaust and 50$ is for the tune; how much for what lol?

Edit:
Oh you mean for the whole car as is?
I'd sell it for 11.5k with everything included also have a panzer plate. Also have a set of winter 15" steelies. It's at 98k right now, 6MT 2 door.

Last edited:

Turbodude1

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf 2dr. RCII, sprint 520s, shine susp
300$ is him swapping the exhaust and 50$ is for the tune; how much for what lol?

Edit:
Oh you mean for the whole car as is?
I'd sell it for 11.5k with everything included also have a panzer plate. Also have a set of winter 15" steelies. It's at 98k right now, 6MT 2 door.
For car as is (no emissions in Maine). Oh how I wish this was a 4 door, I would be on my way down to NJ right now.

schreibers

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
I feel your pain! Uncertainty with a job transfer in the next year is all that's stopping me from going Stage 3 (from my three year old Stage 2 w/ DPF delete). I love my JSW don't want to have to sell but then again am hesitant to drop a lot of money into it just in case....

Thanks for the information regarding a the stock tune reflash. So does that mean after inspection you will have to reflash your ECU again? OR by copying aftermarket tune over the OEM one you're good to go with full performance of the tune + readiness values?

Thanks!

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
I feel your pain! Uncertainty with a job transfer in the next year is all that's stopping me from going Stage 3 (from my three year old Stage 2 w/ DPF delete). I love my JSW don't want to have to sell but then again am hesitant to drop a lot of money into it just in case....

Thanks for the information regarding a the stock tune reflash. So does that mean after inspection you will have to reflash your ECU again? OR by copying aftermarket tune over the OEM one you're good to go with full performance of the tune + readiness values?

Thanks!
So if your old file had readiness you can flash stock then flash the tune over it and readiness stays. But you may still have readiness unless you've reset the ECU, then it needs to be flashed again.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
Hanging out with Les today, things look good; might be able to pass while keeping stage 2. Also probably adding a full race pipe to replace the egr up front. Will update!

bobt2382

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2010 CW GOLF 4DR 6MT TDI
Hanging out with Les today, things look good; might be able to pass while keeping stage 2. Also probably adding a full race pipe to replace the egr up front. Will update!
Great! Please let us know how it turns out.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright guys, looks like it will be possible to pass with a stage 2 dpf delete and also full race pipe up front. This is in my case and each may be differnt so you'll have to see when the time comes.

Unfortunately there were some technical difficulties today with one ecu tool which pushes this project being finished a little back. However Les did tune my car with an updated stage 2 with full racepipe and it is certainly an improvement. Butt dyno says I got some extra ponies/torque, I'll install the race pipe tomorrow to feel the full difference.

Had an awesome time talking cars and checking out the shop. He showed me a sweet plug and play device called the Polar FIS, it basically added the P3 gauge menus into your MFD right at the dash and was customizable. I'm debating getting a unit but it looked like an awesome alternative to the P3 and was priced well.

Last edited:

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Had an awesome time talking cars and checking out the shop. He showed me a sweet plug and play device called the Polar FIS, it basically added the P3 gauge menus into your MFD right at the dash and was customizable. I'm debating getting a unit but it looked like an awesome alternative to the P3 and was priced well.
Polar FIS is definitely the ticket! :D

Anonymous911

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 DBP GTI SE 6MT PP/LP
Alright guys, looks like it will be possible to pass with a stage 2 dpf delete and also full race pipe up front. This is in my case and each may be differnt so you'll have to see when the time comes.

Unfortunately there were some technical difficulties today with one ecu tool which pushes this project being finished a little back. However Les did tune my car with an updated stage 2 with full racepipe and it is certainly an improvement. Butt dyno says I got some extra ponies/torque, I'll install the race pipe tomorrow to feel the full difference.

Did you pass the NJ's emission inspection? Are they doing OBD2 readiness for Diesel cars?

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you pass the NJ's emission inspection? Are they doing OBD2 readiness for Diesel cars?
Should have no issue in February, I will maintain readiness required for NJ while tuned and with my equipment (until I try to clear any CEL or MIL). If that happens I'll need to be flashed to pass again. Only issue is I'll need a private inspection to avoid visual.

flyfishsick

TDI
---
I don't think they do visuals in New Jersey any more? they don't care about anything ( cracked windshield, blinkers, horn, brakes, tires ) all they care about is OBD2 and gas cap presser test.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think they do visuals in New Jersey any more? they don't care about anything ( cracked windshield, blinkers, horn, brakes, tires ) all they care about is OBD2 and gas cap presser test.
The distinct odor of unfiltered diesel exhust combined with the rolling of coal may raise some brows. They also have a camera on the floor of their facilities, I'd rather not risk it.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
Update from today. Plans to keep readiness values have changed. I have an ECU coming from Canada with good readiness values and the same part number.

Since my ECU didn't have good readiness values during the initial backup I would either have to run my stock pipes again for readiness values or purchase another ECU. I picked going with another ECU to save time.

This spare ECU will be used to get me through inspection and I may even just bench it and run my original unit to prevent losing readiness for future inspections.

Les figured out his proposed method works however the immobilizer code goes off and althogh the car runs it never clears off the MFD lol. This is the reason for the change in plans.