Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor 4 Bank 1

abjs

TDI
Jetta Sport wagen
Hello everybody, I'm the proud owner of a 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI with about 53,300 miles on it and I've a couple of questions. I'm getting the following code:

009328 - Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor 4 Bank 1
P2470 - 000 - Short to Ground - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100000
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 2
Mileage: 85905 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2019.14.14
Time: 15:41:57

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1472 /min
Speed: 31.0 km/h
Voltage: 13.68 V
Temperature: 89.1°C
Temperature: 336.0°C
Temperature: 252.0°C
Temperature: -48.0°C
Does anybody knows where the sensor is located?
How frequent are these kind of problem?
Thanks in advance for any response.

lug-nuts

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Just did this on my 2010 80k miles.

Dealer wanted just under 600.00 to fix it plus the rip off code check 100.00

Told the wife "No more dealer diagnostics" I have a OBD II scanner with abs reader and it reads the VW just fine.

Found out if you remove the plastic panel under the engine, and the shield around the CV (inner) on the right side. You can access the #3 and #4 EGT.

lug-nuts

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Dont mess around trying to remove this with a open end wrench, just cut or break off the metal lead that goes into the top of the sensor.

Put the box end of the wrench over the sensor 17mm. On the right hand side (passenger side) you can get a full wrench in there, but I already modified mine. I just slipped my little cheater bar on it and it gave it a TUG came off.

If you attempt this from the left side (driver side) you are going to struggle majorly just like I did for the first 2 hours

You can see the wire on the left in this picture this is looking toward the back of the vehicle

lug-nuts

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I spent 3 hours dong this job, now that I have done it I could do it in about a hour. Takes longer to get it ready than the actual replacement.

Heres my modified wrench, cheater bar, and old sensor.

lug-nuts

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I picked up the new sensor from Deutshe auto parts online they are located in North Carolina took about a week to get here. I spent 143.51 with shipping.

Kind of a PITA and I lost a hundred bucks when the wife took her boss' advice about the CEL. Needless to say she learned a good lesson on stealerships and how they lie about testing each of the sensors and narrowing it down to just one. OBDII scanner told me which one.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I picked up the new sensor from Deutshe auto parts online they are located in North Carolina took about a week to get here. I spent 143.51 with shipping.

Kind of a PITA and I lost a hundred bucks when the wife took her boss' advice about the CEL. Needless to say she learned a good lesson on stealerships and how they lie about testing each of the sensors and narrowing it down to just one. OBDII scanner told me which one.

Prothe! Buyer beware. Check the vendor forum for the bad parts vendor warning list that is dedicated to this guy.

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Prothe! Buyer beware. Check the vendor forum for the bad parts vendor warning list that is dedicated to this guy.
I think you may be mistaken here. Deutsche is run by Paul Barrett, who used to run the parts department at Keffer VW; and not Pete Rothenbacher, who is known to be a scammer.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I think you may be mistaken here. Deutsche is run by Paul Barrett, who used to run the parts department at Keffer VW; and not Pete Rothenbacher, who is known to be a scammer.

Ah! Thanks for the clarification. My apologies. :)